Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

breaking news- Manzel Suspended
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
breaking news- Manzel Suspended
For 1st half of the Rice game:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-rice-owls

according to McMurphy, this closes the book on everything.
08-28-2013 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
RE: breaking news- Manzel Suspended
And I am man enough to admit I was wrong when I said nothing would come of this...token gesture punishments so the NCAA doesn't have to answer to their hypocrisy about profiting off of their players is technically "something"
08-28-2013 02:46 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

it actually sets up for an interesting situation...

If A&M is up 42-0 at halftime, how much does he even play in the 2nd half?
08-28-2013 02:52 PM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
NCAA brings the hammer
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2013 02:53 PM by Minutemen429.)
08-28-2013 02:52 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

(08-28-2013 02:52 PM)stever20 Wrote:  it actually sets up for an interesting situation...

I think he will because its still a live game and he needs reps before Bama
08-28-2013 02:53 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
So wait is the precedent now that you can sell your autographs and only get a 1/2 game suspension? NCAA would have been better off to pretend they couldn't prove it like the did with Cam Newton than this.
08-28-2013 02:56 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(08-28-2013 02:53 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  
(08-28-2013 02:52 PM)stever20 Wrote:  it actually sets up for an interesting situation...

I think he will because its still a live game and he needs reps before Bama

think the fact they have another game the following weekend is huge vs Sam Houston St. I'd say he might see a series or two and that'd be it.
08-28-2013 02:57 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
this is pathetic. if he really didn't do anything wrong why is he getting suspended? and don't get me wrong, i don't believe for a minute this kid is innocent.
08-28-2013 02:58 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I like how everyone portrays the NCAA as this overzealous, overbearing monster when in truth they are little more than a 98-pound weakling. The problem with the NCAA isn't that they over-penalize cheating players and schools, it is that they severely under-penalize cheating players and schools. That is unless the player or school can't afford to fight them in court, in which case the NCAA throws the book at those folks.

I'm not arguing that players shouldn't be paid for their likeness being used in video games or jersey sales or whatnot. I think that is an entirely different, and very worthy conversation. However, I also think it is ridiculous that it is still illegal in most states to smoke marijuana in public in the year 2013. I think that is a very archaic law and we all now know that marijuana is no more of a gateway drug than is beer, wine, and any other form of alcohol one cares to name.

However, that does NOT mean that I get to ignore that law and smoke weed whenever and wherever I like. And yet that seems to be the argument people want to use to excuse Manziel's actions.

"He should be able to sell autographs and profit from his name, " they snarl. "All of these other people are getting rich off his name so why shouldn't he?"

And they may be right, but that doesn't make what he did any less against the established rules with which all student-athletes are required to comply.

At Penn State they are immersed in a civil war of sorts over that school's acceptance of Louis Freeh's report and the subsequent penalties issued by the NCAA. However, if you listen closely to their lunatic fringe you will note that their argument isn't that the child rapes never took place or even that everyone involved acted properly. Their argument is two-fold. One is that even if all of the other administrators did indeed know about the rapes and covered them up, Joe Paterno couldn't have been involved because he had more character than to be involved (or some other naive BS like that). The other prong in their argument, which is amazing and has been mostly missed by the national media, is "even if what Freeh said was true, we should have never accepted the report or the resultant sanctions because there is no way the NCAA would defeat us in court."

That is a BREATHTAKINGLY arrogant argument for any school to make and Miami seems to be preparing for a similar type of fight. That should scare the living hell out of anyone who loves college athletics and does not wish to see it destroyed by a greedy few. And yet nobody seems to notice what is happening right in front of all of our collective eyes.
08-28-2013 02:59 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I was afraid they'd give only him a one quarter suspension. Glad they used him as an example.
08-28-2013 03:10 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

(08-28-2013 02:58 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  this is pathetic. if he really didn't do anything wrong why is he getting suspended? and don't get me wrong, i don't believe for a minute this kid is innocent.

The reasoning is (according to the NCAA) "We acknowledge he did NOT take money for the autographs BUT he should have known they would be sold which is still technically a rules violation"

So its the equivalent of getting pulled over for not coming to a full and complete stop at a stop sign on a deserted road at night...your actions didnt hurt anyone but they were still technically illegal.

The "you should have known this will enter the stream of commerce" ruling though raises all sorts of questions about college athletes and their role in the sports entertainment industry
08-28-2013 03:11 PM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(08-28-2013 03:11 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  
(08-28-2013 02:58 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  this is pathetic. if he really didn't do anything wrong why is he getting suspended? and don't get me wrong, i don't believe for a minute this kid is innocent.

The reasoning is (according to the NCAA) "We acknowledge he did NOT take money for the autographs BUT he should have known they would be sold which is still technically a rules violation"

So its the equivalent of getting pulled over for not coming to a full and complete stop at a stop sign on a deserted road at night...your actions didnt hurt anyone but they were still technically illegal.

The "you should have known this will enter the stream of commerce" ruling though raises all sorts of questions about college athletes and their role in the sports entertainment industry

So.... let me get this straight.

Quote:Earlier this month, ESPN reported that the NCAA was looking into whether Manziel was paid for signing autographs at several locations, including in South Florida around the BCS National Championship game. Also, ESPN reported that a set of autograph dealers claimed that Manziel accepted payments to sign more than 4,000 items, including footballs and photographs, at an event in Connecticut in late January.

The guy signs 4,000+ items for autograph DEALERS and you expect me to believe he didn't know they would be sold? Give me a break.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2013 03:19 PM by blunderbuss.)
08-28-2013 03:18 PM
RedEyeCougar Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Houston
NCAA is corrupt. They have no value.
08-28-2013 03:29 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

Most of those items are fake.

You can see loads of them that either aren't his signature (but still somehow have an authentication certificate) or are perfect copies of his signature on the same item (ie fakes but again, certified by BS certification companies that will authenticate anything they are paid for)

Think about it:

Why would anyone sign so many thousands of items for you? Well because we payed him so that establishes they are real! (never mind that he has rich parents that buy him whatever he wants for nothing)

OK if thats true then testify thats what happened

<broker disappears>

They got caught with way too much JFF memorabilia to be authentic and tried to play it off so they didnt get caught
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2013 03:33 PM by 10thMountain.)
08-28-2013 03:29 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-28-2013 03:29 PM)RedEyeCougar Wrote:  NCAA is corrupt. They have no value.

Who was it a couple of days ago? Said he should be suspended for 1 or 2 games so the NCAA keeps a high profile player and doesn't face criticism for the hypocrisy (writer's opinion, not mine) of profiting off players but not allowing them to profit. Sounds like NCAA basically followed his advice.

There is nothing wrong with signing for someone who will sell. Many will eventually sell anyway. The NCAA just didn't want to drag this out. They knew he got paid, but were having a hard time proving it, or didn't want to.
08-28-2013 03:43 PM
goherd17 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-28-2013 03:29 PM)RedEyeCougar Wrote:  NCAA is corrupt. They have no value.

01-ncaabbs
08-28-2013 03:44 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Well this isn't the worst.
#1 Pretending North Carolina's fake classes had nothing to do with sports.
#2 Giving Montana a slap on the wrist for covering up for multiple rapists.
#3 Finding a loophole for Cam Newton.
08-28-2013 03:48 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(08-28-2013 03:48 PM)bullet Wrote:  Well this isn't the worst.
#1 Pretending North Carolina's fake classes had nothing to do with sports.
#2 Giving Montana a slap on the wrist for covering up for multiple rapists.
#3 Finding a loophole for Cam Newton.

So they erase an entire Memphis BB season for something they singed off on multiple times and could not prove any wrongdoing, and they do this list and the slap on a wrist to Manzel.......unbelievable to me.

Manzel got paid; we all know it, and on top of it the guy has been a douche once A&M let him out of the closet after he won the Heisman. He would not have won it if A&M had not kept him from the media last year.
08-28-2013 04:00 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
I just don't get the point of the suspension at all. Either you can prove he took money or you couldn't and if you can't don't suspend him at all. This just makes the NCAA look like even more of a joke than if they had done nothing.
08-28-2013 04:01 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Given the penalty levied on the Aggies I am guessing the AD over at Prarie View A&M is bracing for the Death Penalty over some minor infraction.
08-28-2013 04:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.