Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC special announcement July 1
westmc9th Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACC/UNC/PITT
I got an email earlier today about an announcement being made on the same day that we officially add ND.CUSE AND PITT. It's interesting I thought it was going to be a small celebration, but there is going to be a "big" annoucement at a press conference in NYC at around 4 o'clock. Also a member from each institution will be at the NYSE this week. Obviously we are pushing the NYC angle. It will be interesting to see what the announcement will be, could be pinstripe could be future basketball sites.Pinstripe just seems weird to send an email out from the main office this soon.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2013 07:58 PM by westmc9th.)
06-20-2013 07:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
RE: ACC special announcement July 1
(06-20-2013 07:55 PM)westmc9th Wrote:  I got an email earlier today about an announcement being made on the same day that we officially add ND.CUSE AND PITT. It's interesting I thought it was going to be a small celebration, but there is going to be a "big" annoucement at a press conference in NYC at around 4 o'clock. Also a member from each institution will be at the NYSE this week. Obviously we are pushing the NYC angle. It will be interesting to see what the announcement will be, could be pinstripe could be future basketball sites.Pinstripe just seems weird to send an email out from the main office this soon.

Great move by the ACC.

It should really consider opening a branch office of some sort in NYC.
06-20-2013 09:11 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
My thoughts same as you guys with a few other thoughts

1. Welcome the new teams
2. Announce a satellite office in midtown
3. Annual ACC in season doubleheader series at MSG (Cuse, UL, UNC, Duke as rotating anchor teams)
4. Pinstripe Bowl Announcement
5. Announcing SNY and MSG as ACC co-broadcast partners for FB and BB

6. Least likely involves MSG postseason...I think they are talking but they have to wait for the BE to underachieve in tix sales/ tv ratings.
06-20-2013 09:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(06-20-2013 09:51 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  My thoughts same as you guys with a few other thoughts

1. Welcome the new teams
3. Annual ACC in season doubleheader series at MSG (Cuse, UL, UNC, Duke as rotating anchor teams)

6. Least likely involves MSG postseason...I think they are talking but they have to wait for the BE to underachieve in tix sales/ tv ratings.

From what I've read, MSG only opens up if the BE losses a couple of valuable members. Since there were still talks, it made me wonder if 2 of St. John's, Nova or Georgetown might have been prospective ACC members. If that's the case, I'd rate our chances of the ACC tournament in MSG as slim to none.
06-20-2013 10:04 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

Chris...they have to have a tix sales/turnstile metric too...MSG lawyers aren't stupid. Just my speculation but if I were the Garden I would want tix sales/turnstile counts added to the contract. The nBE wouldn't be able to say no.
06-20-2013 10:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(06-20-2013 10:09 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Chris...they have to have a tix sales/turnstile metric too...MSG lawyers aren't stupid. Just my speculation but if I were the Garden I would want tix sales/turnstile counts added to the contract. The nBE wouldn't be able to say no.

I'm taking that from this NY Post article :

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/m...MeuSlgBwnI

"Reports that the Garden can get out of its deal with the Big East are somewhat misleading. Only if the new Big East loses enough key members to make the league no longer is viable can the Garden terminate the contract."

I think required ticket sales would have made sense but I've only seen that postulated by message board posters. The ACC probably missed out on MSG back in February. The ACC just waited too long to decide we might want the ACC tourney in N.Y.
06-20-2013 11:07 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(06-20-2013 10:09 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Chris...they have to have a tix sales/turnstile metric too...MSG lawyers aren't stupid. Just my speculation but if I were the Garden I would want tix sales/turnstile counts added to the contract. The nBE wouldn't be able to say no.

I would rather MSG, but I would be OK with Brooklyn. I wonder if there is a chance that we might get the Barclays Center.

Also, I wonder if Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Creighton, and Butler would have enough pull to get a western tourney once every 3-4 years, and the ACC could sublease MSG from the BIG EAST for free year.

I honestly think that isn't too crazy. I know STJ, Seton Hall, and Prov. will be very against it, and 'Nova and GT will be fairly against it, but I think that the other half of the conference would be for it, and I think that the eastern schools could live with losing one game every 3-4 years to keep the western schools happy.
06-21-2013 12:08 AM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(06-21-2013 12:08 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

I would rather MSG, but I would be OK with Brooklyn. I wonder if there is a chance that we might get the Barclays Center.

Also, I wonder if Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Creighton, and Butler would have enough pull to get a western tourney once every 3-4 years, and the ACC could sublease MSG from the BIG EAST for free year.

I honestly think that isn't too crazy. I know STJ, Seton Hall, and Prov. will be very against it, and 'Nova and GT will be fairly against it, but I think that the other half of the conference would be for it, and I think that the eastern schools could live with losing one game every 3-4 years to keep the western schools happy.

No way the Big East will ever willingly give up MSG. It is the last bastion of power conference status that they are clinging to. It will eventually be the ACC's or BigTen's to lose, if either is willing to commit to it.

Playing in Barclay's isn't going to have anything near the same cache. It will be no different than moving the tournament around to Atlanta or DC. They might hold it there once and awhile, but it won't be the marquee event that MSG would be. Beside that, I think the A10 has Barclay's wrapped up.
06-21-2013 12:43 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(06-21-2013 12:43 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(06-21-2013 12:08 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

No way the Big East will ever willingly give up MSG. It is the last bastion of power conference status that they are clinging to. It will eventually be the ACC's or BigTen's to lose, if either is willing to commit to it.

Playing in Barclay's isn't going to have anything near the same cache. It will be no different than moving the tournament around to Atlanta or DC. They might hold it there once and awhile, but it won't be the marquee event that MSG would be. Beside that, I think the A10 has Barclay's wrapped up.

I think that too much weight is given to symbolism, and not enough is given to the teams involved and the location. A lot of what made the BE Tourney special was the fact that it was in NYC, and NYC is such a GREAT basketball town. There's just so much to do and the excitement of the conference tourney amidst the back drop of NYC's excitement in general is something special. It's also really, really cool to be the talk of the town.

However, that may very well not be the case for the nBE. The balance of power has shifted west and I think that the schools won't travel as well (replacing Syracuse, Rutgers, Notre Dame, and UCONN with Xavier, Butler, and Creighton isn't an even trade in terms of attendance in NYC) and that NYC won't care as much (Butler has had an excellent decade, but they don't have the name of Syracuse or UCONN). They won't ever willingly lose their NYC presence completely, but I don't think that it will be what it was. I don't think that anything will ever match what the BIG EAST Tourney was.

Now that I think about it, I think that you're right about the A-10 being in Brooklyn. I remember that now, but they might be willing to rotate, too. Who is in the Atlantic 10 these days?
06-21-2013 01:10 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
If the ACC wants MSG bad enough, why not just buy it from the Big East (I'm sure they'd have a price)
06-21-2013 11:00 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Could be purely membership related. The Pinstripe feels possible and so does a satellite office. Going to the NYSE that day is ideal since the Yankees are out of town on 7/1 when it comes to a bowl announcement.

MSG and YES were announced as carrying ACC programming when the early season TV schedule came out in May. Probably not that.
06-21-2013 12:41 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I'll actually be somewhat disappointed if it's just welcoming Syracuse, Pitt, and Notre Dame as official members.
06-21-2013 12:56 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(06-21-2013 11:00 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  If the ACC wants MSG bad enough, why not just buy it from the Big East (I'm sure they'd have a price)

I agree. If the ACC wants it, and I hope we do, then I think that we will.
06-21-2013 03:49 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
None of the possible items mentioned feel "big" or "special" to me. Big would be something like Maryland staying, the ACC network finalized, #16 being named.
06-21-2013 04:43 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(06-21-2013 12:56 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  I'll actually be somewhat disappointed if it's just welcoming Syracuse, Pitt, and Notre Dame as official members.

I agree my friend. It has to be something big, but I just can't figure out what it would be. We've heard no leaks about any deals.
06-21-2013 08:41 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-20-2013 09:51 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  My thoughts same as you guys with a few other thoughts

1. Welcome the new teams

Agreed. I would think it's a combo of 1, 2, and 4.

Number three seems unlikely to me. Might be more along the lines of a mini-ACC/BE Challenge Series doubleheader at MSG involving two of SU, UL, Pitt, and ND vs two of St. John's, Georgetown, Nova, and Butler. I exclude Duke and UNC only because they are involved in another Challenge Series whose name escapes me now.

Definitely don't see #6 happening this fast. More likely to be toward the end of this decade.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2013 08:53 PM by omniorange.)
06-21-2013 08:52 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(06-21-2013 08:41 PM)texasorange Wrote:  
(06-21-2013 12:56 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  I'll actually be somewhat disappointed if it's just welcoming Syracuse, Pitt, and Notre Dame as official members.

I agree my friend. It has to be something big, but I just can't figure out what it would be. We've heard no leaks about any deals.

My money is on the conference saving a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to....
06-21-2013 09:00 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-21-2013 09:00 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(06-21-2013 08:41 PM)texasorange Wrote:  

My money is on the conference saving a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to....

You could be right... 03-lmfao

We're probably hyping this thing way beyond what it will be. 04-chairshot

Cheers,
Neil
06-21-2013 09:03 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I got it! Swofford is retiring and is going to name his successor. He has contacts at every D1 school, D1 conference, network and TV station in North America...The DUDE! He had more contacts but his mom threw his Rolodex away.

The B12 alliance thing has been quiet for a while. Not sure how that fits with the conference reps being in NYC though.
06-21-2013 09:51 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

My guess is that this is it.
06-22-2013 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.