Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Best Outcome
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
The Best Outcome
The more I think about it, the best outcome we can hope for at this time is something like this--

All Sports

UConn
Cinci
Temple
USF
UCF
Memphis
ECU
Tulane
Houston
SMU
S Miss/Tulsa (pick one, but keep in mind S Miss brings over 30K in attendance where Tulsa barely hits 20K).

Football Only

Navy

Olympic Sports Only

VCU
UMass
Ideally, also 2 of St Louis, Dayton, and Charlotte.

Basically here, I'd like us to pick off 3 to 4 basketball schools that the C-7 ignores. VCU and UMass are very likley to be the top choices available. After those two, I think Richmond, Wichita, St Louis, Fordham, James Madison, Dayton, Charlotte are worth considering. At the very least, UMass and VCU should be slam dunk additions. If St Louis is available, Id grab them too as they fit in perfectly if we go with the Metro name. Charlotte Im a little less certain about.

I think something along these lines would expand our footprint into several other large cities, expand basketball into some cities where the sport is well supported, and add some extra schools that are always competing for an NCAA bid on an annual basis. I know some despise the hybrid concept, but I think in a very limited use such as this, it could enhance what we have.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 04:46 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-18-2013 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: The Best Outcome
Southern Miss attendance was 25,751
03-18-2013 04:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-18-2013 04:45 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Southern Miss attendance was 25,751

True, for 0-12 year. To the best of my knowledge, they have typically performed better on the field and enjoyed better attendence that that 25K number would indicate. That said, Im not anti-Tulsa. The Tulsa/S Miss choice is not make or break. Both are solid choices.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 04:49 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-18-2013 04:48 PM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I agree with you about Tulsa/S. Miss.

You can't name the league "Metro" anything and have S. Miss.....
03-18-2013 04:52 PM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

To clarify.....

I would pick S Miss over Tulsa, but that is a close call and personal preference.
03-18-2013 04:53 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-18-2013 04:52 PM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  I agree with you about Tulsa/S. Miss.

You'd think that, except S Miss was actually member of the old Metro conference....04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 05:04 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-18-2013 05:01 PM
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Hasn't the hybrid basketball-football conference already been done --- resulting in a marriage but one with 'family' bickering and finally heartbreaking divorce?
03-18-2013 05:05 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-18-2013 05:05 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Hasn't the hybrid basketball-football conference already been done --- resulting in a marriage but one with 'family' bickering and finally heartbreaking divorce?

Good point, I cant really argue with that. But following that line of reasoning, hasnt CUSA already been done?

Look, I certainly get the lack of enthusiasm for the hybrid given the situation. That said, its not like we are sitting here with a boatload of great options. Basically, its time to duct tape together the best conference we can at this point. Frankly, I dont see where having 2, 3 or even 4 basketball only schools is going to hurt that much at this point. As long is they make up less than 25% of the membership, its just not that big a deal. We get a lttle better basketball and are relavent in a few more major cities. It also cuts the pie less to add olympic only schools than it does to add all-sports schools. At the very least, UMass and VCU seem like smart additions, and its hard to see how two basketball only schools will lead to the downfall of the conference.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 05:31 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-18-2013 05:12 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(03-18-2013 05:01 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 04:52 PM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  I agree with you about Tulsa/S. Miss.

You'd think that, except S Miss was actually member of the old Metro conference....04-cheers

As well as VT and VCU 04-cheers
03-18-2013 05:15 PM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
In the end Tulsa and Southern Miss will be in Conference TBD. Southern Miss when UCONN or Cinncy leave.
03-18-2013 05:18 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2013 05:12 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 05:05 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Hasn't the hybrid basketball-football conference already been done --- resulting in a marriage but one with 'family' bickering and finally heartbreaking divorce?

Yes. But following that line of reasoning, hasnt CUSA already been done?

Look, I certainly get the lack of enthusiasm for the hybrid given the situation. That said, its not like we are sitting here with a boatload of great options. Basically, its time to duct tape together the best conference we can at this point. Frankly, I dont see where having 2, 3 or even 4 basketball only schools is going to hurt that much at this point. As long is they make up less than 25% of the membership, its just not that big a deal. We get a lttle better basketball and are relavent in a few more major cities. It also cuts the pie less to add olympic only schools than it does to add all-sports schools. At the very least, UMass and VCU seem like smart additions, and its hard to see how two basketball only schools will lead to the downfall of the conference.

UMass has football I believe --- second, we already seem to be on a path that, if Navy doesn't recant, should give us 10 in basketball (CBS/ESPN basketball money split less) and 12 in football (championship game). Third, honestly after VCU, I see little value in the basketball additions --
03-18-2013 05:36 PM
Advertisement

JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

DonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-18-2013 05:36 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 05:12 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Yes. But following that line of reasoning, hasnt CUSA already been done?

UMass has football I believe --- second, we already seem to be on a path that, if Navy doesn't recant, should give us 10 in basketball (CBS/ESPN basketball money split less) and 12 in football (championship game). Third, honestly after VCU, I see little value in the basketball additions --

VCU is clearly #1 if the decision is made to add olympic sports only. Wichita State would be #2.
03-18-2013 05:56 PM
TigerTimmy Offline
Outsider

I Root For: Tigers & Titans
My top 3 choices:

VCU
UMASS
Wichita State

They would boost basketball.

I don't see Conference TBD adding any basketball schools. We appear to be only interested in all sports teams with the exception of Navy.
03-18-2013 07:10 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU

I wouldn't want a bunch of bball only schools. I think VCU is a no brainer and fits the Metro theme. Maybe one more like UMass or Charlotte would really give the basketball side of the league some pop. I think the league would be looking at 4-6 bids per year on par with any other major league. The football schools would be the majority so there should be less conflicts.
03-18-2013 07:34 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
I think some folks here are over-hyping UMass' basketball relevance.
03-19-2013 01:14 PM
Freshy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-18-2013 04:48 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 04:45 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Southern Miss attendance was 25,751

True, for 0-12 year. To the best of my knowledge, they have typically performed better on the field and enjoyed better attendence that that 25K number would indicate. That said, Im not anti-Tulsa. The Tulsa/S Miss choice is not make or break. Both are solid choices.

29,400 in a 12-2 year. We were at over 30,000 before the lame duck end-of-Bower era.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 01:34 PM by Freshy.)
03-19-2013 01:33 PM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

This is easy.

Add Tulsa and VCU. 11 all sport, 1 football only, 1 non-football. 12 in each sport.

If you really want to get crazy, add Wichita St and another basketball school (Richmond? St Joe's?) for 14 in hoops.

BTW UMass and Charlotte play football now. They won't be joining us as basketball members.

In the future, UMass is the replacement for UConn. I'm not sure who replaces Cincy - maybe Southern Miss. Rice replaces Houston.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 01:58 PM by CougarRed.)
03-19-2013 01:57 PM
303 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: CU/CSU/AFA
(03-18-2013 04:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The more I think about it, the best outcome we can hope for at this time is something like this--

All Sports

UConn
Cinci
Temple
USF
UCF
Memphis
ECU
Tulane
Houston
SMU
S Miss/Tulsa (pick one, but keep in mind S Miss brings over 30K in attendance where Tulsa barely hits 20K).

Football Only

Navy

Olympic Sports Only

VCU
UMass

Basically here, I'd like us to pick off 3 to 4 basketball schools that the C-7 ignores. VCU and UMass are very likley to be the top choices available. After those two, I think Richmond, Wichita, St Louis, Fordham, James Madison, Dayton, Charlotte are worth considering. At the very least, UMass and VCU should be slam dunk additions. If St Louis is available, Id grab them too as they fit in perfectly if we go with the Metro name. Charlotte Im a little less certain about.

I think something along these lines would expand our footprint into several other large cities, expand basketball into some cities where the sport is well supported, and add some extra schools that are always competing for an NCAA bid on an annual basis. I know some despise the hybrid concept, but I think in a very limited use such as this, it could enhance what we have.

I'm fine with a hybrid league. Frankly I wish the MWC would add Wichita and make a play for Gonzaga or BYU oly sports.... but you can't just add to add.

I'm sure someone has detirmined what C-TBD's basketball product is worth. Let's say it's $600,000 per team. Then whoever else you add has to be at least worth that amount otherwise it is a negative add. VCU clearly is, Wichita State probably is, Umass? (you wouldn't leave thier football behind), Dayton? Charlotte? St. Louis?....If all these teams carried that much value they'd be making more in the A-10.

Stop thinking that it's all about markets. ESPN has already offered the league "more national exposure"... Focus on being a league people care about. That could mean new additions or it could just mean developing the products you already have.

Also when you add olympic sports, you're adding everything else too. It isn't just basketball. Whoever you add, needs to bring value beyond what you're going to lose with added travel/expenses/more mouths to feed.
03-19-2013 02:00 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(03-18-2013 04:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The more I think about it, the best outcome we can hope for at this time is something like this--

All Sports

UConn
Cinci
Temple
USF
UCF
Memphis
ECU
Tulane
Houston
SMU
No—S Miss/Tulsa (pick one, but keep in mind S Miss brings over 30K in attendance where Tulsa barely hits 20K).

Football Only

Navy
Army—added

Olympic Sports Only

VCU
No—UMass

The conference needs Army with Navy to boost the national brand and public perception of this conference. UMass will not work because the MAC would probably tell them to put there fb program in this conference while kicking them out of their conference. Moreover, UMass is considered the worst fbs program right now:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...Uix2BesiSo

Although Houston and Army are on the list, I think Houston was a good choice by this conference and Army would be too. However, S Miss is no where near the team that beat Houston in the C-USA championship game 2 years ago and is just as bad as UMass:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball...win-111212

Tulsa has a good fb program, but isn’t a national brand and is competing in a market with Ok and Ok St.—no contest. Moreover, if the new tv deal is televising 90% of fb games, do want two military academies with a national following and brand recognition to represent the conference or two more C-USA schools that do not have national appeal or brand recognition. Futhermore, adding Army and Navy will allow for the addition of two good bball schools.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 02:37 PM by Underdog.)
03-19-2013 02:15 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(03-19-2013 01:57 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  This is easy.

Add Tulsa and VCU. 11 all sport, 1 football only, 1 non-football. 12 in each sport.

If you really want to get crazy, add Wichita St and another basketball school (Richmond? St Joe's?) for 14 in hoops.

BTW UMass and Charlotte play football now. They won't be joining us as basketball members.

In the future, UMass is the replacement for UConn. I'm not sure who replaces Cincy - maybe Southern Miss. Rice replaces Houston.

Disagree. If UConn leaves, there's no point in adding Umass.
03-19-2013 02:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.