Blog on upcoming vote by editor of East Tennessean
Bookmark and Share
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
Blog on upcoming vote by editor of East Tennessean
Quote:ETSU football comes to the table
Posted on January 28, 2013
Once again the question of bring football back has been brought before ETSU’s body.

Once again the vote to support it will be brought before the SGA (tomorrow night).

And once again, I believe it will be voted down.

Well, by the SGA that is.

Let me clarify a little bit. While I believe student government has some power, they will be very hard-pressed to stop this train that seems to be charging toward bringing back a Saturday afternoon tradition to blue and gold nation. If this bill does not get passed, I can’t help but think there will be another come up.

It’s almost like the stars are aligning. First there were rumors of ETSU moving conferences, and then Dave Mullins got pushed to the side in the athletic department. At the same time those things were happening, former Buccaneer Mike Smith coached the Atlanta Falcons all the way to an NFC title game, proving the words “ETSU” and “football” can, in fact, exist in the same sentence without a negative there.

But wait! There’s more!

Now there’s an article with Phillip Fulmer saying he’d be “willing to help ETSU.”

Talk about media buzz.

The reason this surprises me is that ETSU president Brian Noland came into office saying that football was not the biggest concern. I thought I remembered several advocates of the sport getting a little peeved about that.

Now he seems to be at the helm of a steamroller looking to pave the way for the Bucs to put on pads once more.

As many people that I hear screaming for the return of football, I hear just as many complaints that the university will be doing nothing more than resurrecting a money pit, and that moving conferences would only detract from an established basketball program in the Atlantic Sun.

Although moving to a different conference would be a decision mostly based on if football returns or not, I am encouraged to hear new athletic director saying basketball is the top concern right now, saying “nothing will be done that could damage basketball. Every decision must provide [them] the best opportunity to succeed.” (from our sit down interview with Richard Sander)

Basketball is, and will be for quite a while, the biggest cash cow that ETSU has to offer.

“But football is what we came here to read about!” you say. “When are you going to get back to that? Nobody cares about the hard court! ”

Fair enough. I only bring up basketball because it’s something the students are comfortable with, and being spoiled by that will make the difference in the vote.

They’ve been living in the perfect setup for them now: there is an entertaining sport to watch whenever there is nothing left to do, and there aren’t any extra fees, which keeps tuition at a reasonable price (relatively).

I believe that the incentive for paying the 125-dollar fee (per semester) is just not there for students right now. They’d be looking at an extra $1000 over four years and that would most likely be just to get the program started. Even though this university is filled with local students, I feel that most of them (or us, as I’m still one of them for a few months) are unwilling to part with that much money for a team that won’t be here for a few years, even thought it could benefit their community. Although Noland’s 125 committee wants to have a competitive team playing within five years, it seems like the majority of the students here won’t go out of their way to fund a team from scratch.

So in the end, I think, this particular legislation will not be supported in SGA congress tomorrow.

But frankly, I don’t know if that will be enough to stop the return of football.

-Todd

Executive Editor
http://easttennessean.wordpress.com/2013...-football/
01-28-2013 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
RE: Blog on upcoming vote by editor of East Tennessean
Proving the East Tennessean is still the same worthless piece of trash it's been for awhile.
01-28-2013 12:25 PM
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

(01-28-2013 12:25 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Proving the East Tennessean is still the same worthless piece of trash it's been for awhile.

lol well they are retweeting alot of the tweets that are supporting the return of football, but they are also retweeting negative ones....just trying to get press
01-28-2013 12:26 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
No, you have to show both sides on this thing.

Look, I want it to come back, too. But what you're wanting them to do by suppressing the other side is simply unethical for a journalist to do.

Personally, I my main problem with the blog is that he seems to imply that basketball would be best off staying in the A-Sun without football.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 12:42 PM by PittsburghBucs.)
01-28-2013 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

(01-28-2013 12:41 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  No, you have to show both sides on this thing.

Look, I want it to come back, too. But what you're wanting them to do by suppressing the other side is simply unethical for a journalist to do.

Personally, I my main problem with the blog is that he seems to imply that basketball would be best off staying in the A-Sun without football.

They aren't interested in whether it passes or not, just getting press...thats what the media does. That is what I was implying.
01-28-2013 12:48 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

You may be the first person to equate the editor of the East Tennessean with Howard Stern.
01-28-2013 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

But the thought does occur, true objective journalism would do as you say. An truly objective journalist would not care about the result of the vote, only what the vote is and what its impact will be.
01-28-2013 01:11 PM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Interesting he said it wouldn't pass - I've heard from members of SGA that are quite sure it WILL pass.
01-28-2013 03:50 PM
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

I found some interesting info on fees on fellow TBR schools:
ETSU $1,063
Austin Peay $1,224
MTSU $1,498
App State $2,385
Georgia State $2,128
the fee increase would be +$250 a year...even then that still puts us just a tad over AP and well below the other schools...all who have mid-major football programs
http://blog.collegetuitioncompare.com/20...ition.html
01-28-2013 03:55 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Does anyone know where the $125.00 figure came from? All of a sudden we see it out there and we see a vote on it. No talk about re-structuring of and re-allocating of athletic money. We have to let them know that this is a community effort and not merely on the students.
01-28-2013 05:33 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2013 03:50 PM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  Interesting he said it wouldn't pass - I've heard from members of SGA that are quite sure it WILL pass.

Let us hope your information is correct!
01-28-2013 05:58 PM
Advertisement

BartowZone Offline
2nd String

These crybabies are only upset because weekends are their time to go home and have their laundry done by mommy while they hang out with their highschool friends... They don't want to pay (and by that I mean have their parents pay) 2 more dollars a week for something they refuse to participate in because they would rather go to the sullivan east football game on friday night and watch the big orange on saturday with mommy, daddy, and their 11th grade girlfriend............ grrrrrrrrrr03-banghead
01-28-2013 06:05 PM
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

(01-28-2013 06:05 PM)BartowZone Wrote:  These crybabies are only upset because weekends are their time to go home and have their laundry done by mommy while they hang out with their highschool friends... They don't want to pay (and by that I mean have their parents pay) 2 more dollars a week for something they refuse to participate in because they would rather go to the sullivan east football game on friday night and watch the big orange on saturday with mommy, daddy, and their 11th grade girlfriend............ grrrrrrrrrr03-banghead

I know...frustrating isn't it?
01-28-2013 06:36 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(01-28-2013 06:05 PM)BartowZone Wrote:  These crybabies are only upset because weekends are their time to go home and have their laundry done by mommy while they hang out with their highschool friends... They don't want to pay (and by that I mean have their parents pay) 2 more dollars a week for something they refuse to participate in because they would rather go to the sullivan east football game on friday night and watch the big orange on saturday with mommy, daddy, and their 11th grade girlfriend............ grrrrrrrrrr03-banghead
:iagree:
01-28-2013 06:45 PM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Yalking trash about the very people that are going to take a vote tomorrow is not very intelligent. Bad move.
01-28-2013 08:39 PM
etsualumni00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(01-28-2013 08:39 PM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  Yalking trash about the very people that are going to take a vote tomorrow is not very intelligent. Bad move.

:iagree:
01-28-2013 08:46 PM
Advertisement

GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
*Talking
01-28-2013 08:47 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-28-2013 08:39 PM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  Yalking trash about the very people that are going to take a vote tomorrow is not very intelligent. Bad move.

Who cares? Those "peoples" vote don't mean anything to anybody but themselves.
01-28-2013 09:13 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(01-28-2013 09:13 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

Who cares? Those "peoples" vote don't mean anything to anybody but themselves.
He was aiming at the Stanton/Mullins brainwahed sheep that believe that ETSU is a communtity college,and shouldn't have Athletics other than soccer.
01-28-2013 09:19 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

The SGA person that I talked to today, specifically mentioned that we should promote soccer instead of football. Seriously.
01-28-2013 09:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.