Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Chris Crawford still contributes despite shooting funk
Bookmark and Share
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Chris Crawford still contributes despite shooting funk
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 10:41 PM by macgar32.)
01-14-2013 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hopeum Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger basketbal
RE: Chris Crawford still contributes despite shooting funk
SEASON AVERAGES
SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2012-13 MEM 28.4 2.5-7.0 .352 0.9-3.5 .264 0.5-0.7 .800 3.5 2.9 0.4 1.8 2.3 1.6 6.4
2011-12 MEM 28.5 3.4-7.9 .431 1.5-3.7 .392 0.9-1.1 .775 3.1 3.8 0.8 1.8 2.1 2.0 9.1
2010-11 MEM 26.3 2.3-7.1 .329 1.3-4.2 .299 0.7-0.9 .742 3.1 3.3 0.4 1.6 1.7 2.1 6.6

Par for the course. In baseball a .300 will get you in the Hall of Fame
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 01:15 AM by hopeum.)
01-15-2013 01:11 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
It is good to read that he hits his shots in practice. Hopefully, practice will translate to games.
01-15-2013 08:55 AM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
he's a shooter. he hits em in practice.
it's just in his head a little. saw the same thing from joe jackson and look at him now
01-15-2013 08:57 AM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

"His value to the team is not just based on shooting and scoring. He can make such a difference in so many other areas through defense and through other things that don't always come up," Pastner said. "He's our most cerebral and our most vocal player."
01-15-2013 09:03 AM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

There is no doubt that CC does other things very well, it is why JP has stuck with him despite his poor shooting. As fans we like to point at stats because they are easy to draw conclusions from, but players can contribute in ways that do not show up in the box score at all.
01-15-2013 09:07 AM
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
This is ridiculous. As has been talked about over and over, how is CC playing well when he takes off 3 out of 5 plays and gets beat on defense time and time and time again?

CC let us see the picture you have of Josh drinking soda! We know you have something on him to keep receiving all that praise from Josh!
01-15-2013 09:12 AM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
DBHooper made 'em in practice too.
01-15-2013 09:29 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-15-2013 08:57 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  he's a shooter. he hits em in practice.
it's just in his head a little. saw the same thing from joe jackson and look at him now

It was in JJs head, but what got it out of his head was hitting the gym for long hours outside of practice...I wonder if CC is doing the same.

Secondly, this team needs to learn how to play GOOD defense and quit trying for highlight defensive plays (steals/blocks). Risky defense is a big part of CCs problem. I have never seen a team reach as much as ours or get head faked at the 3 point line and jump into the second row. This has been an issue with the current Juniors since they have been here...I wish that would get fixed.

GET IN A STANCE AND GUARD YOUR DAMN MAN...FIGHT THROUGH SCREENS HARD AND QUIT BEING LAZY WITH REACHING FOR STEALS. BOX YOUR MAN OUT BEFORE THE BALL IS ON THE RIM. GUARDS KEEP YOUR MEN OFF THE GLASS AND QUIT LEAKING OUT FOR THE OUTLET PASS

This team does not do the dirty work well...But I think that is something that can be learned.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 09:56 AM by macgar32.)
01-15-2013 09:55 AM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2013 09:12 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  This is ridiculous. As has been talked about over and over, how is CC playing well when he takes off 3 out of 5 plays and gets beat on defense time and time and time again?

CC let us see the picture you have of Josh drinking soda! We know you have something on him to keep receiving all that praise from Josh!

cat kicker
03-hissyfit
01-15-2013 10:02 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(01-15-2013 09:29 AM)BandwagonJumper Wrote:  DBHooper made 'em in practice too.

@snicker
01-15-2013 10:04 AM
Advertisement

jgardne Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2013 09:12 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  This is ridiculous. As has been talked about over and over, how is CC playing well when he takes off 3 out of 5 plays and gets beat on defense time and time and time again?

josh isn't going to call CC out in the media, obviously. He must be seeing the plays off given how cc's minutes are faling though
01-15-2013 10:36 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
I think Josh has figured out who to trust in the heat of battle. Or at least that's what I'm hoping. The UT game showed a lot.
01-15-2013 10:39 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2013 10:36 AM)jgardne Wrote:  

josh isn't going to call CC out in the media, obviously. He must be seeing the plays off given how cc's minutes are faling though

I could agree with this, but on post-game shows Josh has no problem calling JJ out in the media, even if he had a good game there is usually a "he could have done this or that better". Not quite the same with CC. I didnt realize CC's minutes were falling. I know he isnt starting anymore but the ECU game he still played 31 minutes. I was watching him every second he was in the game during ECU just to see if I was missing something. I focused on CC. 31 minutes of him getting beat over and over and over on defense, many plays completely taken off, and lazy passes. Yes he had a handful of deflections, steals, assists. But the balance was far from good.

The worst part of it is, it seems to never really reflect back on him. For instance...

CC will leave his man wide open. JJ rushes over to pick up the open man. CC's man then passes to Joe's open man. Joe's open man scores. Then people are saying things like JJ's man scored 20! (not that this is an exact example). CC's man drives in and Shaq or Black has to run up to him and then they pick up a foul on CCs man. Then people are shaking their heads at Black or Shaq for picking up a foul.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 11:06 AM by memtigbb.)
01-15-2013 11:03 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
CC still playing consistently better D than Geron. It's interesting how an offensive slump can skew perceptions on overall play.
01-15-2013 11:09 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2013 11:09 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  CC still playing consistently better D than Geron. It's interesting how an offensive slump can skew perceptions on overall play.

Absolutely no way is CC playing consistent defense better than any major minute person. Not a chance.

CHALLENGE!

Go back to the DVR and watch the past 5 games. During those 5 games only watch CC. If he leaves the game, fast forward until he comes back. Do not watch the ball, just watch CC then come back and tell me that he is playing better, more consistent defense than Geron.

His shot not falling has nothing to do with what I am saying.

I am all for hard working, playing players who arent scorers. It is why I have been a HARDCORE DJ fan from the first minute I saw him play as a freshman. In fact, I was raising so much heck about him not getting more playing time on Roar that his highschool coach ended up showing up and explaining to us (in the thread) that DJ had really bad asthma and had very limited minutes.
01-15-2013 11:12 AM
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2013 11:12 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(01-15-2013 11:09 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  CC still playing consistently better D than Geron. It's interesting how an offensive slump can skew perceptions on overall play.

Absolutely no way is CC playing consistent defense better than any major minute person. Not a chance.

CHALLENGE!

Go back to the DVR and watch the past 5 games. During those 5 games only watch CC. If he leaves the game, fast forward until he comes back. Do not watch the ball, just watch CC then come back and tell me that he is playing better, more consistent defense than Geron.

His shot not falling has nothing to do with what I am saying.

I am all for hard working, playing players who arent scorers. It is why I have been a HARDCORE DJ fan from the first minute I saw him play as a freshman. In fact, I was raising so much heck about him not getting more playing time on Roar that his highschool coach ended up showing up and explaining to us (in the thread) that DJ had really bad asthma and had very limited minutes.

I watch the games and I pay attention to ALL of our players, not just CC. I notice that while CC may be passive on some plays, Geron is out of position a lot and commits more dumb fouls than anyone else on the court. But he's playing well on the other side of the ball, and he's not getting the flack that CC is.

Crawford may have some lapses on defense, but he's far from the defensive liability that you make him sound like.
01-15-2013 11:37 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
As I have noted before, it isn't a funk. It is what he has done his WHOLE career:

Quote:Chris has played 32 games in which he has taken five 3's or more.

In 16 of those games, he shot 40% or better.

In 14 of those games he shot 25% or under.

In 2 games he has shot between 25% and 40%.

The problem is he hasn't taken enough threes in a game to be either "hot" or "cold." One shot here and there isn't enough for a player to get in a rythym.

Look at DJ. He was 4-5 to start the season and has gone 2-10 since the Minnesota game--likely because he is only taking one shot or so a game.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 11:44 AM by salukiblue.)
01-15-2013 11:43 AM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

Keep shooting Chris!
Stay focused on D!
01-17-2013 11:53 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

Does anyone want to revise their position on Crawford v Geron on defense after last night's outing?
01-17-2013 12:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.