Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis '13 class just got even better
TheRock Offline
Fresh off PUP list

I Root For: SHU
Memphis '13 class just got even better
Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) tweeted:
2013 Briarcrest Christian (TN) PF Austin Nichols tweets that he has verbally committed to Memphis. Huge get for Josh Pastner.

https://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/stat...6543393792

Top 15, 5* recruit...the nBE arms race in full effect!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basket...in-nichols

--------------
RU ready for Primetime!!!
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 11:57 AM by TheRock.)
11-05-2012 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: Memphis '13 class just got even better
Dayammmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnn

NICE GET TIGERS!!!!
11-05-2012 11:55 AM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
11-05-2012 11:59 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
This is absolutely unbelievable. Right up until he was announced, Nichols was considered almost a lock to Tennessee. Even Josh Pastner thought that, until some point recently, of course.

This is ON TOP OF A TOP 5 RECRUITING CLASS already. Just in time for the BEast. Wow!

VolNation is going to be a riot today, lol. They thought they had him in the bag:

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee...asketball/
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 12:02 PM by TripleA.)
11-05-2012 12:02 PM
LaBradfordsTWill Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Memphis going to the Big East probably tipped the scales against Tennessee. Nichols obviously wants to play in a Big Boy league.
11-05-2012 12:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(11-05-2012 11:59 AM)99Tiger Wrote:  5-star on Rivals and 4-star on Scout...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/...ols-111627

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8...id=5542346

5-star on ESPN. #12 in the country:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basket...order/true
11-05-2012 12:04 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(11-05-2012 12:03 PM)LaBradfordsTWill Wrote:  Memphis going to the Big East probably tipped the scales against Tennessee. Nichols obviously wants to play in a Big Boy league.

Not sure. Maybe. His sister and a lot of his friends go to UT. His dad is a huge UT football fan. But his mom is a Tiger alum.

My guess is that Mom won out at the last second, along with Pastner's charm, and perhaps the Big East, too.

Anyway, this is a good thing for Memphis in particular, and also for the BEast. Memphis will likely wind up with the #2 class now.
11-05-2012 12:07 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(11-05-2012 12:02 PM)TripleA Wrote:  This is absolutely unbelievable. Right up until he was announced, Nichols was considered almost a lock to Tennessee. Even Josh Pastner thought that, until some point recently, of course.

This is ON TOP OF A TOP 5 RECRUITING CLASS already. Just in time for the BEast. Wow!

VolNation is going to be a riot today, lol. They thought they had him in the bag:

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee...asketball/

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about seeing AN play for the home team or the fallout from BUTtchgger U. I think short term the hilarity of a hillybilly meltdown should get me thru Thanksgiving, long term though, welcome aboard Austin, can't wait!
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 12:17 PM by Lord2FLI.)
11-05-2012 12:17 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
CBS: Memphis surprisingly beats out Tennessee for Nichols

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...-tennessee

Last paragraph:

"Pastner now has one of the top recruiting classes in the country, as Nichols joins Nick King (No. 23), Kuran Iverson (No. 24), Markel Crawford (No. 91) and Rashawn Powell (No. 96) in Memphis' group. The Tigers are the only school in the country with five top-100 recruits at this point."

And 3 of them are 5-stars, on one service or another.

Well, fellow nBE fans, Memphis may suck in football right now, but we be BAAADDD AZZZES in basketball.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 12:27 PM by TripleA.)
11-05-2012 12:24 PM
adluther Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
I love how every sporting network has put a story out on this except for ESPN. ... And they are supposed to be number 1 in sports? tsk tsk.
11-05-2012 12:31 PM
EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
Bowen better circle the wagons and put Pastner under lock and key. After this season, he's going to be a hot commodity. It makes me laugh to think the pUKe fans are already eyeballing him for when Honest John takes his dog and pony show back to the NBA.
11-05-2012 12:31 PM
Advertisement

Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
Wow, great job Memphis
11-05-2012 01:21 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(11-05-2012 12:31 PM)EvilLore Wrote:  Bowen better circle the wagons and put Pastner under lock and key. After this season, he's going to be a hot commodity. It makes me laugh to think the pUKe fans are already eyeballing him for when Honest John takes his dog and pony show back to the NBA.

No one has ever questioned Josh Pastner's recruiting capabilities...its been Pastner's coaching ability (or lack there of) that has been his biggest downfall so far...as Pastner is 0-12 vs Teams ranked in the Top 25 and in their 2 NCAA appearances.

Even bad teams occasionally beat Top 25 teams...whereas with some great young talent, Pastner hasn't even been able to do it once.
11-05-2012 01:36 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

Crappies
(11-05-2012 12:31 PM)EvilLore Wrote:  Bowen better circle the wagons and put Pastner under lock and key. After this season, he's going to be a hot commodity. It makes me laugh to think the pUKe fans are already eyeballing him for when Honest John takes his dog and pony show back to the NBA.

There aren't a lot of schools that can offer what Memphis does to a coach, especially after we joined not just a "power conference" but one of the clear-cut best. And considering what was offered to Cal to try to induce him to stay, I'm not too worried about being able to match and exceed other programs' offers the vast majority of the time.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 01:45 PM by Psicosis.)
11-05-2012 01:44 PM
PlainTiger Offline
Never odd or even

(11-05-2012 01:36 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  

No one has ever questioned Josh Pastner's recruiting capabilities...its been Pastner's coaching ability (or lack there of) that has been his biggest downfall so far...as Pastner is 0-12 vs Teams ranked in the Top 25 and in their 2 NCAA appearances.

Even bad teams occasionally beat Top 25 teams...whereas with some great young talent, Pastner hasn't even been able to do it once.

I think the biggest problem has been the lack of stability in the coaching staff. Assistants have come and gone since Pastner started at Memphis. And last season we had to hire a new assistant coach in the middle of the season.

Obviously Josh is going to have to produce in this area or his seat will get warm. But this signing class will help a lot!
11-05-2012 01:53 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame

True, but Pastner has had 3 seasons. The first one, we had 6 scholarship players, and one unranked recruit (Calipari took most of our #1 class with him to UK). The second one, we had great recruits, but all freshmen and little else. We lost to Arizona by 2 points in the NCAAs, and they went Elite 8. Last year, we should have won one or two.

And we haven't played that many, either. We went to early season tourneys, and also played Kansas twice and Louisville once, and a number of teams we had scheduled fell out of the rankings before we played them.

I have a feeling Pastner will break through this season, but again, we only have one ranked team on the schedule, as of now. Louisville in December. None in C-USA, as usual. We play VCU first at Atlantis, and they are just outside the rankings right now.

IF we beat them, then we'll have a shot at Duke. Beat Duke, and that does it, plus, we might get a shot at Louisville a few weeks early, if we beat Duke.

Our core is now all juniors, so we should get both the Top 25 and the NCAA tourney win monkeys off our back. Pastner is a world class recruiter. He's been a HC for 3 years. Coach K had a losing record at Duke for 4 or 5 years, I think, while Pastner has been winning 25+, and more than any other coach in Memphis history, to this point, including Calipari.

Pastner also got to the NCAAs faster than Calipari did, and Cal was an experienced F4 coach, with a better starting group. Pastner will be fine.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 01:57 PM by TripleA.)
11-05-2012 01:56 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

(11-05-2012 01:53 PM)PlainTiger Wrote:  

I think the biggest problem has been the lack of stability in the coaching staff. Assistants have come and gone since Pastner started at Memphis. And last season we had to hire a new assistant coach in the middle of the season.

Obviously Josh is going to have to produce in this area or his seat will get warm. But this signing class will help a lot!

Many Tiger fans noted the same thing, especially in regards to some of Pastner's first few hires...as when a very young first or second year HC needs more than anything is experience in regards to his staff...as I think the last 2 hires Pastner made, he has addressed some errors from his first year or two.
11-05-2012 01:58 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(11-05-2012 01:58 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 01:53 PM)PlainTiger Wrote:  

Many Tiger fans noted the same thing, especially in regards to some of Pastner's first few hires...as when a very young first or second year HC needs more than anything is experience in regards to his staff...as I think the last 2 hires Pastner made, he has addressed some errors from his first year or two.

Agree with this.
11-05-2012 02:06 PM
MrMemphis Offline
1st String

As good as this recruiting class is right now, none of them might be starters on next years team. Adonis Thomas will move on to the NBA next year but most of the core of this years team is expected to be back. These recruits will be able to have quality veteran leaders at their positions showing them the ropes. We had a large recruiting class like this three years ago but we did not have veterans pushing them.
11-05-2012 02:16 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(11-05-2012 01:56 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Pastner also got to the NCAAs faster than Calipari did...

Don't think anyone suggested otherwise.

Plus, not one Tiger fan would ever compare the top program that Calipari left Pastner with (jammed pack FedEx Forum, "rich" basketball budget, recent NCAA Championship Game Final 4 appearance, etc...), vs what the program was like when Cal arrived in Memphis (just a .500 team over the previous 3 seasons...including a LOSING season when Cal took over).

Cal not only rebuilt but "blew off the doors" of the power/$$$$ of Memphis Hoops as it was almost night and day difference in regards to the health of the program for Cal's first year as compared to Josh's.
11-05-2012 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.