Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liucci, Newark Star Ledger: GOR likely for the BE
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Liucci, Newark Star Ledger: GOR likely for the BE
So far the talk of grant of media rights for the Big East has been the idle talk of message board posters. For the first time we have word from a real reporter that a grant of rights indeed is in the cards for the Big East.

The following is written by the well-respected writer Tom Liucci, a formidable figure in covering Rutgers athletics. He is very close to the movers and shakers at Rutgers.

I personally feel that this is a good thing. While some call them handcuffs, I call them a pledge of unity. At some point, conference brethren must take s a stand together. I don't care if schools like UConn and Louisville, or Rutgers, or whomever are opposed. You will have a choice: The Big East way or the highway.

12:20
Comment From Jim
Do you see RU going to another conference in the next few years?

12:21
Tom Luicci: Everything depends on the new Big east TV deal. If it's a good one, Rutgers may wind up staying. Once the deal is done, we'll know more, since a grant of rights will probably be required by the Big East, which means a long term commitment on the school's part.
09-28-2012 05:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
RE: Liucci, Newark Star Ledger: GOR likely for the BE
Should be interesting what schools will and what won't (if any) want to sign a GOR.
09-28-2012 05:31 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
Now this will be entertaining.
09-28-2012 05:40 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-28-2012 05:31 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  Should be interesting what schools will and what won't (if any) want to sign a GOR.

I doubt the tail will wag the dog under any circumstances.

Of course, the Indy scene is always an option, which would take them out of the running for any Champions Bowl opportunity (as well getting purged from BE Basketball and the media contract).
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2012 05:41 PM by BigEastHomer.)
09-28-2012 05:40 PM
L1C4 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL
Not saying this just because I am UofL fan, but Jurich is not going to sign any GOR knowing there may be more opportunities in the future. Im sure Rutgers and UConn may feel the same way.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2012 05:49 PM by L1C4.)
09-28-2012 05:48 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(09-28-2012 05:48 PM)L1C4 Wrote:  Not saying this just because I am UofL fan, but Jurich is not going to sign any GOR knowing there may be more opportunities in the future. Im sure Rutgers and UConn may feel the same way.

Those opportunities left the train station and won't return for 10 years.

If the Big East can match/get close to ACC numbers then GOR will happen from Big East schools.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2012 05:55 PM by WacoBearcat.)
09-28-2012 05:54 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-28-2012 05:48 PM)L1C4 Wrote:  Not saying this just because I am UofL fan, but Jurich is not going to sign any GOR knowing there may be more opportunities in the future. Im sure Rutgers and UConn may feel the same way.

See.My.Previous.Post. 04-rock
09-28-2012 05:55 PM
fusion1906 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Big East

Please, I'm tried of people saying this AD or that AD is not going to sign. I say the BE say sign or go leave. I don't think the new commish is going to take being a transient league where people stop while waiting on another conference offer. If UofL or anyone else is waiting on another opportunity, wait as an independent.

You were almost kicked out of C-USA, you're not as special as you think you are. If you were, then you would already have an invite.
09-28-2012 05:59 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Well, this could get interesting.
09-28-2012 06:02 PM
cardinal_fan123 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
Well I can think of at least one school right off the top of my head that won't agree to this garbage. But it's easy for fans of schools like REDACTED and REDACTED to agree to it since they need us way more than we need them.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2012 06:08 PM by cardinal_fan123.)
09-28-2012 06:06 PM
First Family Forever Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
All schools should sign the GOR , if they don't go independent . It really that simple. You are all in or out.
09-28-2012 06:08 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
If Louisville didn't sign the GOR, what would their options be if the ACC, Big 12, or Big TEn don't take them? Go indy? Go CUSA? Doesn't seem like that would be all that attractive at all and would hurt their program a lot.
09-28-2012 06:09 PM
krux Offline
Banned

You never know what's going to happen. A GOR could have the opposite effect in that it could light a fire under the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC's respective azz's and throw things into overdrive. It might simply accomplish its goal too. But at this point, after these last few years, I don't see how anyone can say with any certainty that "Those opportunities left the train station and won't return for 10 years".
09-28-2012 06:09 PM
cardinal_fan123 Offline
Banned

(09-28-2012 06:08 PM)First Family Forever Wrote:  All schools should sign the GOR , if they don't go independent . It really that simple. You are all in or out.

Like I said. Some schools need us a lot more than we need them. This GOR thing is being put into place BECAUSE of the threat of Louisville and Rutgers constantly being mentioned as the next teams to defect from CUSA 2.0

And if/when that day comes, this conference is as good as dead. You'd better hope and pray to whatever deity you worship that we don't get the call.
09-28-2012 06:15 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
We are already talking about if we should go to 16...

Any program that is willing to wait outside, and play fb and bb as an Indy, in hope of an invite that STILL hasn't materialized, simply wont be missed.
09-28-2012 06:17 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
(09-28-2012 06:02 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Well, this could get interesting.

This thread, or this situation? I agree!
09-28-2012 06:19 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-28-2012 06:19 PM)justinslot Wrote:  
(09-28-2012 06:02 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Well, this could get interesting.

This thread, or this situation? I agree!
Both, but I meant the situation, lol.

As for Louisville, if a GoR does come up, you can always go indy. 03-lmfao
09-28-2012 06:25 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

sorry man...I think if was going to happen, it would have by now. you are with us and the rest of the big east....accept it...make the most of it...
09-28-2012 06:28 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Here's the dilemma - it's easy to say,
"Sign the GOR or get out of the Big East", but the very schools that wouldn't want to sign a GOR are the most valuable ones. If Louisville or UConn don't want to sign that document, you're not going to see the Big East kick them out. The other members have no leverage here. Note that each school has absolute veto power to reject a GOR proposal - it is NOT something that you can pass with even a 18-1 vote.

The GOR's value to TV networks isn't that great in terms of increasing the value of the TV rights, either. Even if the Big East were to get any "GOR bonus", it would be a negligible amount that certainly wouldn't be persuasive to a school like Louisville.

Now, maybe a school like UConn could be resigned to the fact that the ACC or Big Ten aren't calling, so they're better off pushing to lock in Louisville and Rutgers from going anywhere else. We'll see how this goes.
09-28-2012 06:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
We'll sign a GOR.......every June we'll sign a 1 year term.....sound good?
09-28-2012 06:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.