Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The University of Ohio
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU / BEast
The University of Ohio
If Ohio goes undefeated in football this year, should we add them?

Honestly - it is a 'Big East' school i would compare with Uconn. The basketball team is good and the football team is better than most going into the BE next year. I think they would be a good fit for all sports.

Their stadium needs to be expanded but it looks like the opportunity for growth there is awesome. Ohio is a populous state and a nice 'brand' name to add to the Big East.
09-27-2012 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NutmegStateofMind Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UConn
RE: The University of Ohio
(09-27-2012 10:05 AM)SMUfrat Wrote:  If Ohio goes undefeated in football this year, should we add them?

Honestly - it is a 'Big East' school i would compare with Uconn. The basketball team is good and the football team is better than most going into the BE next year. I think they would be a good fit for all sports.

Their stadium needs to be expanded but it looks like the opportunity for growth there is awesome. Ohio is a populous state and a nice 'brand' name to add to the Big East.

I've heard worse ideas.
09-27-2012 10:07 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(09-27-2012 10:05 AM)SMUfrat Wrote:  I think they would be a good fit for all sports.

I'm glad you are not in charge.
09-27-2012 10:09 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
What media market? What is their athletic budget? Football stadium size?

I'd rather have ECU, Charlotte, or Umass. On the West coast (not usual names)- UNLV, Fresno, or Colorado state.
09-27-2012 10:12 AM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(09-27-2012 10:05 AM)SMUfrat Wrote:  If Ohio goes undefeated in football this year, should we add them?

No.

(09-27-2012 10:05 AM)SMUfrat Wrote:  Honestly - it is a 'Big East' school i would compare with Uconn.

......really? You'd compare UConn - one of the top schools in the Big East in terms of athletic department success and revenues - to a MAC school? I think you should do a bit more research on Ohio and UConn before you try to make that comparison.

(09-27-2012 10:05 AM)SMUfrat Wrote:  The basketball team is good and the football team is better than most going into the BE next year. I think they would be a good fit for all sports.

I think they'd be a bad fit. They don't offer a major TV market or a large fanbase. They don't have Big East quality facilities or budget.

(09-27-2012 10:05 AM)SMUfrat Wrote:  Their stadium needs to be expanded but it looks like the opportunity for growth there is awesome. Ohio is a populous state and a nice 'brand' name to add to the Big East.

The Ohio Bobcats are a brand name? Really?
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 10:15 AM by UofLgrad07.)
09-27-2012 10:13 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Conference USA didn't add them. Why would the Big East?
09-27-2012 10:18 AM
Advertisement

UHCougar Offline
Big East Special Forces

I Root For: Houston

I ask around the office here, and the fellows said . . . no! Actually, one guy said WT*&^%$^&%^%%$$^^&***^%% are these people thinking in THAT forum.
09-27-2012 10:21 AM
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

(09-27-2012 10:18 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Conference USA didn't add them. Why would the Big East?

I mean I think the have a lot of potential.

The big east as a whole has a lot of improving to do all around. Its going to be a work in progress.

I think that with the right funding, Ohio COULD be like a Uconn or Maryland or something...
09-27-2012 10:22 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Ohio University is rural school in southeast Ohio, they are a great fit for the MAC. The MAC doesn't get a lot of respect but it was very good conference at one point and it looks like its getting better. The MAC is one conference that I believe has it right in terms of membership. When Marshall left the conference started to slide down plus the rise of Cincinnati football hurt traditional power Miami.
09-27-2012 10:25 AM
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

Theoretically...

Ohio and UMass would be good 'fits' georgraphically, school size, and could serve to balance the league to look a little more similar in make-up to other conferences which are 60-90% large state schools

I AM NOT SAYING WE NEED TO DO THIS.

I am simply looking at it in a different way, fully knowing that its just a perspective. Just thinking that, if, they could commit to big athletic spending with upped Big East $$, that MAYBE they could be something more than what they are now, and could benifit the league in the future; possibly making it more sustainable.

Don't yell at me I am not pretending to be an expert or anything.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 10:28 AM by SMUfrat.)
09-27-2012 10:27 AM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
(09-27-2012 10:22 AM)SMUfrat Wrote:  
(09-27-2012 10:18 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Conference USA didn't add them. Why would the Big East?

I mean I think the have a lot of potential.

The big east as a whole has a lot of improving to do all around. Its going to be a work in progress.

I think that with the right funding, Ohio COULD be like a Uconn or Maryland or something...

I agree, they could be like UCONN ........ if Ohio State received an all sport death penalty for 10 years and they got expelled from the Big Ten.
09-27-2012 10:28 AM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(09-27-2012 10:13 AM)UofLgrad07 Wrote:  
(09-27-2012 10:05 AM)SMUfrat Wrote:  Their stadium needs to be expanded but it looks like the opportunity for growth there is awesome. Ohio is a populous state and a nice 'brand' name to add to the Big East.

I would like to share, from the input of a bit of an outsider, Ohio is a bigger brand name than SMU and Temple as of recent, particularly in the past few years. SMU and Temple have been bigger brand names in the past but for the past 5 years it is not the case and doesn't seem to be changing. Seems Houston's brand name is going down the pooper right now too. Ohio, hell Toledo have the potential to become "Boise's" soon if they continue on the path they've been.
09-27-2012 10:29 AM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
Nothing against Ohio, but they lack in football facilities and have No TV market. With OSU and Cincy the closest schools those media markets already are taken. I do like the geography as that and the recent quality of their teams would keep them in the discussion down the list after BYU and Air Force etc. Athens is a very nice, but very small town and they get no media coverage at all in Cincy.
09-27-2012 10:43 AM
UHCougar Offline
Big East Special Forces

I Root For: Houston
(09-27-2012 10:29 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  
(09-27-2012 10:13 AM)UofLgrad07 Wrote:  

I would like to share, from the input of a bit of an outsider, Ohio is a bigger brand name than SMU and Temple as of recent, particularly in the past few years. SMU and Temple have been bigger brand names in the past but for the past 5 years it is not the case and doesn't seem to be changing. Seems Houston's brand name is going down the pooper right now too. Ohio, hell Toledo have the potential to become "Boise's" soon if they continue on the path they've been.

1. Bigger brand than SMU and Temple . . . really? Are you serious? Of all the stupid things, I've said on this forum, I've never said anything even close to THAT stupid.

2. Houston's brand "going down the pooper" . . . this is the kind of short-side mentality that got the Big East in this mess in the first place. You need BIG media markets and university athletic programs that can: (1) create TV viewership; (2) sell game-day tickets; and (3) cause big money donors to build great big things on campus . . . Houston has these in abundance. If you don't know this, then you do not understand the direction of the nBe.

3. Ohio and Toledo have ZERO chance to be another Boise in this current market, or under any scenarios in the next 20 years, for so many reasons related to recruiting that are way beyond the point of this thread. So, I'll just say . . . not going to happen in your lifetime.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 10:55 AM by UHCougar.)
09-27-2012 10:54 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
This is NOT the expansion board, and it's football season. Please take the expansion speculation elsewhere.

If Ohio U to the BE is a real story, by all means, discuss. But we don't need to fill the board with this idle speculation.

Same with Fresno State.
09-27-2012 10:58 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
One successful season does not make a successful program. Myopathy is what originally landed the BE in a disadvantageous position.
09-27-2012 11:00 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
2 words..... Athens , Ohio

3 hours away from any major city (unless you count Parkersburg , WV)
09-27-2012 11:05 AM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
(09-27-2012 11:00 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  One successful season does not make a successful program. Myopathy is what originally landed the BE in a disadvantageous position.

I'm guessing you mean apathy or myopia.
09-27-2012 11:05 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
What is largest aircraft you can land on a 5,600' runway, when fully loaded?
09-27-2012 11:11 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
2 things about this post...

1. They have such a brand that you got the name wrong. It is Ohio University, not the University of Ohio.

2. I'd love to have OU in the conference for travel purposes... Athens is a great city. There is no market there, however there are a lot of Ohio graduates throughout the state that would give it some decent TV ratings. That being said... they are not a legitimate candidate because they just don't have the athletics revenues to truly compete against the rest of the league.
09-27-2012 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.