Why no comments about the current RICE TENNIS TEAM
09-09-2012 12:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dragon2owl Online
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
RE: Rice Tennis?
(09-09-2012 12:27 AM)mens sana Wrote:  Why no comments about the current RICE TENNIS TEAM

I made a post here...
http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=586388
09-09-2012 02:42 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(09-09-2012 12:27 AM)mens sana Wrote:  Why no comments about the current RICE TENNIS TEAM

One reason may be that neither team (men's or women's) has actually started their season yet.
Another reason may be that their first home matches are still 3-4 weeks away.
Another reason may be that, rightly or not, most fans' rooting interest tends to focus on the "team" (dual-match) season, which is in the spring. I count myself as one of those who finds the dual-match portion of the season especially compelling.
Another reason may be that, well, you're wrong: there has been discussion, as dragon noted.
09-09-2012 08:02 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
And yet another reason may be that the rosters aren't even updated on riceowls.com. The men's team added a few new players the other day on the roster but no details really and I'm not sure it's a complete roster. The women don't have a new roster online yet although apparently they have a nice transfer from Miami (Liat Zimmerman, who played #5 singles for them last year and also was on their #1 doubles team that went to the NCAA tournament).
09-09-2012 08:21 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
http://www.riceowls.com/blog/

Nice story on senior Katie Gater, who grew up just two houses away from Andy Murray in Scotland.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 09:48 AM by Fort Bend Owl.)
09-13-2012 07:04 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(09-13-2012 07:04 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://www.riceowls.com/blog/

Nice story on senior Katie GatEr, who grew up just two houses away from Andy Murray in Scotland.

FIFY ... I thought Gator was a little strange for a Scottish name.
09-13-2012 09:18 AM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(09-13-2012 09:18 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  
(09-13-2012 07:04 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://www.riceowls.com/blog/

Nice story on senior Katie GatEr, who grew up just two houses away from Andy Murray in Scotland.

FIFY ... I thought Gator was a little strange for a Scottish name.

Alistair, Alexander, Alligator... fits right in!
09-14-2012 02:41 AM
dragon2owl Online
Heisman

Natalie Beazant wins Midland Invite singles title with 6-1, 6-1 win over second seed Petra Januskova of Penn State.
Beazant and Dominique Harmath capture Midland Invite doubles crown.
09-16-2012 05:33 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(09-16-2012 05:33 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Natalie Beazant wins Midland Invite singles title with 6-1, 6-1 win over second seed Petra Januskova of Penn State.

Well done!
09-16-2012 05:37 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(09-16-2012 05:33 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Natalie Beazant wins Midland Invite singles title with 6-1, 6-1 win over second seed Petra Januskova of Penn State.

Great job ladies! Looks like last year's Sweet 16 performance can be built on this year.
09-16-2012 05:46 PM
dragon2owl Online
Heisman

09-16-2012 05:54 PM
Advertisement

mens sana Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: owls

Excellent results. Really look forward to watching the Womens Tennis Team play this season. They continue to rock!
09-17-2012 12:31 PM
ricetennis Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice and UT
Probably no posts because tennis is a one-off sport for Rice. Men's roster is weak and season does not look good. The first year recruiting effort of the new coach was so poor that the coach had to move up a player from the club team. Next year the two new recruits on tennis recruiting are 4 stars won’t add any depth. Rice mens tennis needs a coach who knows how to RECrUIT!
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2014 08:21 PM by ricetennis.)
01-13-2013 11:40 AM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I hope Efe has a decent season, his first as a head coach. He was team captain of the team I was on (96-97) and being a Rice grad, I hope he can continue to build on what Smarr was able to do with men's tennis. A new tennis facility is in the works...we need to look good this next couple of years.
01-13-2013 11:51 AM
ricetennis Offline
Water Engineer

(01-13-2013 11:51 AM)Buho00 Wrote:  I hope Efe has a decent season, his first as a head coach. He was team captain of the team I was on (96-97) and being a Rice grad, I hope he can continue to build on what Smarr was able to do with men's tennis. A new tennis facility is in the works...we need to look good this next couple of years.

I see where you are coming from. Agree its great to have a former player/alum as head coach. But his first year recruiting was disappointing, and his next crop listed on tennisrecruiting are not going to bring any needed grit to the team. Four star recruits are just that. It is never a good sign when a club player is moved up to the team, and unless there is another player to be signed in the wings, the next year seems much of the same. While nice to have an alum as head coach, he has his work cut out and ditto we all wish him luck.
01-13-2013 01:04 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(01-13-2013 01:04 PM)ricetennis Wrote:  The first year recruiting effort of the new coach was so poor that the new coach had to move up a player from the club team to fill the roaster. And next year the two new recruits for men’s tennis on tennis recruiting are four stars which won’t add any depth re to the team.

Does tennis use a different "star" system for recruits than football or basketball ... in which four-star recruits (out of five) are the near the top of the class?
01-13-2013 03:17 PM
Advertisement

dragon2owl Online
Heisman

(01-13-2013 03:17 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(01-13-2013 01:04 PM)ricetennis Wrote:  The first year recruiting effort of the new coach was so poor that the new coach had to move up a player from the club team to fill the roaster. And next year the two new recruits for men’s tennis on tennis recruiting are four stars which won’t add any depth re to the team.

Does tennis use a different "star" system for recruits than football or basketball ... in which four-star recruits (out of five) are the near the top of the class?

Looks like the ranks are: Not Ranked, 1-Star, 2-Star, 3-Star, 4-Star, 5-Star, and Blue-Chip (highest).

And the recruits for next year are ranked 125 and 194 nationally.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 03:26 PM by dragon2owl.)
01-13-2013 03:25 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Is that good? Bad? Average? I have no idea.

(01-13-2013 03:25 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  And the recruits for next year are ranked 125 and 194 nationally.
01-13-2013 05:57 PM
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I don't see how you can criticize the women's team. Natalie B (Rice's No. 1) was the 94th ranked junior in the World and finished last season with a 25-2 singles record (C-USA Freshman of the year and C-USA Player of the year). Dominique (Rice's No. 2) was the No. 2 ranked junior in Canada (and with Natalie was the No. 1 doubles team in C-USA). Katie Gater (Rice's No. 3) was the No. 4 ranked junior in Great Britain. The recruiting is obviously very, very strong.

They had an incredible year beating Illinois and Ole Miss in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament. Since they were the 16th ranked team at the NCAA championship they had to play #1 UCLA in the round of 16.

The team loses one senior from a team that finished in the top 16 in the NCAAs (playing two freshmen, two sophs, a junior and a senior in the top 6) and is ranked 30 in the preseason (a questionable ranking at best). It's hard to imagine a better group of athletes. They haven't played a team match yet this year. To criiticize the women's tennis team is absurd. (Just my opinion)
01-13-2013 09:41 PM
ricetennis Offline
Water Engineer

(01-13-2013 09:41 PM)Houston Owl Wrote:  I don't see how you can criticize the women's team. Natalie B (Rice's No. 1) was the 94th ranked junior in the World and finished last season with a 25-2 singles record (C-USA Freshman of the year and C-USA Player of the year). Dominique (Rice's No. 2) was the No. 2 ranked junior in Canada (and with Natalie was the No. 1 doubles team in C-USA). Katie Gater (Rice's No. 3) was the No. 4 ranked junior in Great Britain. The recruiting is obviously very, very strong.

They had an incredible year beating Illinois and Ole Miss in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament. Since they were the 16th ranked team at the NCAA championship they had to play #1 UCLA in the round of 16.

The team loses one senior from a team that finished in the top 16 in the NCAAs (playing two freshmen, two sophs, a junior and a senior in the top 6) and is ranked 30 in the preseason (a questionable ranking at best). It's hard to imagine a better group of athletes. They haven't played a team match yet this year. To criiticize the women's tennis team is absurd. (Just my opinion)

Not criticizing the women team, just noting that women’s tennis gets 8 FULL SCHOLARSHIPS so its a lot easier for them to get top recruits that means 8 recruited athletes get a 100% FREE RIDE to a great school.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2014 07:49 PM by ricetennis.)
01-14-2013 01:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.