Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ugly Forecast for Isaac - USA/UTSA related
Bookmark and Share
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Ugly Forecast for Isaac - USA/UTSA related
Latest forecast track for Issac is to hit in the Mobile area on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning as a Cat 1/Cat 2 Hurricane.

Tracks frequently change, and I hope this one does (just not hitting Houston). Mobile has had more than its share of hurricanes.

If the track doesn't move, this could bode rather poorly for Thursday nights tilt between USA and UTSA.

Unless its a direct hit, perhaps the game can be moved to Saturday.
08-23-2012 10:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Ugly Forecast for Isaac - USA/UTSA related
(08-23-2012 10:21 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Latest forecast track for Issac is to hit in the Mobile area on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning as a Cat 1/Cat 2 Hurricane.

Tracks frequently change, and I hope this one does (just not hitting Houston). Mobile has had more than its share of hurricanes.

If the track doesn't move, this could bode rather poorly for Thursday nights tilt between USA and UTSA.

Unless its a direct hit, perhaps the game can be moved to Saturday.

I think most everyone would prefer it to be on Saturday. But, I'd rather prefer we get no part of this storm. We've been lucky lately, but like you say, Mobile has had more than its fair share.
08-23-2012 10:26 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Is Mobile built to handle hurricanes? Im assumiong so since you tehcnically arent actually at the shoreline.
08-23-2012 11:17 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(08-23-2012 11:17 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Is Mobile built to handle hurricanes? Im assumiong so since you tehcnically arent actually at the shoreline.

Yes, Mobile is built for hurricanes. Its much better prepared than Houston. Half of Mobile is in a storm surge area. The only problem is that Mobile is heavily forested and power outages can be a real problem after storms due to falling limbs/trees.

For Mobile, wind and power outages are usually the worst problem. If its a 75 mph Cat 1 hurricane, Mobile can handle a direct hit with minimal problem. Cat 2 and up with a direct hit is where there start to be bigger issues.

The worst possible track for a storm as far as Mobile is concerned is a landfall just to the West of Mobile Bay (Pascagoula to Bayou La Batre).
08-23-2012 11:28 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Isaac is subject to change directions and it's unlikely to continue on it's present course after it enters the Gulf. Doesn't mean that it won't, but where it hits is up for grabs at this stage. I'm still coming down for a game Thursday night.
08-23-2012 11:34 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Good Luck to the Gulf Coast.

Looks like S. Florida dodged another bullet. Were still gonna get wind and rain but not the center where the real nasty stuff is.
08-24-2012 07:47 AM
Advertisement

FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
Yeah, all the dorms here just had a meeting to discuss the storm and possible evacuation. Our campus us strong enough to handle the worst of the storms, but I can see the ocean from my on-campus apartment (right next to the stadium). Being that close can't be good.
I wish this situation on nobody, but let's hope Hispanola and Cuba do a number on Isaac.
I guess this is what we get for having "Football in Paradise" as we like do say down here in Boca.
08-24-2012 11:47 AM
Tiguar Offline
All American

(08-24-2012 11:47 AM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  Yeah, all the dorms here just had a meeting to discuss the storm and possible evacuation. Our campus us strong enough to handle the worst of the storms, but I can see the ocean from my on-campus apartment (right next to the stadium). Being that close can't be good.
I wish this situation on nobody, but let's hope Hispanola and Cuba do a number on Isaac.
I guess this is what we get for having "Football in Paradise" as we like do say down here in Boca.
Really depends on how high the ground is you're on. At my home in Orange Beach, we're 25 ft above sea level and I would much rather be there than further inland; I stayed home for hurricane Ivan which was a cat 3-borderline-4 direct hit. Tornadoes can be worse than the actual storm.
08-24-2012 02:15 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
(08-24-2012 02:15 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  
(08-24-2012 11:47 AM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  Yeah, all the dorms here just had a meeting to discuss the storm and possible evacuation. Our campus us strong enough to handle the worst of the storms, but I can see the ocean from my on-campus apartment (right next to the stadium). Being that close can't be good.
Really depends on how high the ground is you're on. At my home in Orange Beach, we're 25 ft above sea level and I would much rather be there than further inland; I stayed home for hurricane Ivan which was a cat 3-borderline-4 direct hit. Tornadoes can be worse than the actual storm.

Ivan, was that back in 2004? Now THAT was a bad season!
08-24-2012 03:58 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
I think I should be okay here in Miami. I'm right by a lake connected to the ocean (that will be interesting, especially if we get tons of rain), but I live up a floor. I do have great hurricane shutters and live in an old building (that survived Andrew and the like) so I think I'll be okay as long as there isn't massive flooding.

Interesting fact of note is that we just got a TS Watch issued for South Florida.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2012 04:24 PM by Ole Blue.)
08-24-2012 04:24 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
As of right now Atlanta looks to be in its path as well. Might make landfall around the panama city area according to their map
08-24-2012 04:34 PM
Advertisement

troy4ever21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Troy & SBC
Dothan is preparing for it.
08-24-2012 04:35 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
Dear Jags,

Crush the dreams and hopes of the Roadrunners and Former Bobcat QB Eric Soza.

Kthnxbye,

Chris
08-24-2012 08:07 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-24-2012 08:07 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  Dear Jags,

Crush the dreams and hopes of the Roadrunners and Former Bobcat QB Eric Soza.

Kthnxbye,

Chris

Sounds like a plan to me... Go Jags!
08-24-2012 08:09 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

Miami-Dade is now under a hurricane watch. Looks like Isaac will be stronger than expected when it hits the south Florida coast, and it might even go east and hit Miami. Will have to keep very close eye on this.
08-25-2012 06:39 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

USA Today has the Jaguars as a 6 point favorite, but I see them winning by 10. UTSA is a well-coached team and will come ready to play but the hometown Jags will win this one.
08-25-2012 07:27 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Looks like Mobile to PC is the area where it may hit....They are saying It could be a Cat 3 when it hits!!
08-25-2012 12:56 PM
Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
This is going to impact a huge number of opening day games. Rotten luck. Even by Saturday it will be lingering over NC, SC, GA.
08-25-2012 12:58 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-25-2012 12:58 PM)Glassonion Wrote:  This is going to impact a huge number of opening day games. Rotten luck. Even by Saturday it will be lingering over NC, SC, GA.

Our game with UAB will probably be nasty weather.
08-25-2012 01:25 PM
Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
(08-25-2012 01:25 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  
(08-25-2012 12:58 PM)Glassonion Wrote:  This is going to impact a huge number of opening day games. Rotten luck. Even by Saturday it will be lingering over NC, SC, GA.

Our game with UAB will probably be nasty weather.

Im just praying 1st, that nobody gets hurt, and 2nd, there arent enough winds or any lightning to cancel the openers. I know App has got two big games in a row, having to make up a game on a Monday will really hurt us next weekend, and Im sure there are many schools in the same situation.
08-25-2012 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.