Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Weaver on TTL alludes to expansion and speculation is the subject is ND
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
Weaver on TTL alludes to expansion and speculation is the subject is ND
This is from the weekly radio show that features VT AD Jim Weaver, Head Coach Frank Beamer, and usually one of the assistant coaches in rotation.

The following are "notes" from the 8/13 broadcast. Not direct quotes:
Quote:Weaver doesn’t know who the ACC’s Orange Bowl opponent will be. In late June, he thought he knew exactly what would happen, but things changed. Weaver didn’t want to get into what changed, because it could impact something else, and that something else is expansion. He’s not going to say who the expansion involves, but if you surveyed everyone in the audience someone would be able to tell you. Weaver thinks it will play out in the not too distance future.

http://www.techsideline.com/article/2012...for-81312/

People are of course speculating he meant Notre Dame.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2012 04:44 PM by 4x4hokies.)
08-15-2012 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Weaver on Tech Talk Live alludes to expansion and speculation is ND
(08-15-2012 01:37 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  This is from the weekly radio show that features VT AD Jim Weaver, Head Coach Frank Beamer, and usually one of the assistant coaches in rotation.

Quote:Weaver doesn’t know who the ACC’s Orange Bowl opponent will be. In late June, he thought he knew exactly what would happen, but things changed. Weaver didn’t want to get into what changed, because it could impact something else, and that something else is expansion. He’s not going to say who the expansion involves, but if you surveyed everyone in the audience someone would be able to tell you. Weaver thinks it will play out in the not too distance future.

Who else could it be? In late June, he thought ND would fill the OB's at large spot and now they can't fill it because they'll be a partial member of the conference.
08-15-2012 02:04 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(08-15-2012 02:04 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(08-15-2012 01:37 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  This is from the weekly radio show that features VT AD Jim Weaver, Head Coach Frank Beamer, and usually one of the assistant coaches in rotation.

Who else could it be? In late June, he thought ND would fill the OB's at large spot and now they can't fill it because they'll be a partial member of the conference.

Texas has been uncharacteristically quiet lately.
08-15-2012 02:22 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Weaver on Tech Talk Live alludes to expansion and speculation is the subject is ND
"Not too distant future"? I'd rather it be sooner than later, myself... and who knows, maybe in the next two or three years that ND-Miami game won't be OOC anymore.
08-15-2012 02:23 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Weaver on Tech Talk Live
Didn't ESPN have the first right of refusal (60 days) on the Orange Bowl broadcast? Maby they are having a hard time deciding on whether or not to match NBC's bid.
08-15-2012 03:21 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-15-2012 02:23 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  "Not too distant future"? I'd rather it be sooner than later, myself... and who knows, maybe in the next two or three years that ND-Miami game won't be OOC anymore.

Well it probably won't be in conference because if the ACC allows partial membership to ND, it won't be long until FSU and Miami have partial membership too.
08-15-2012 03:53 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-15-2012 03:21 PM)XLance Wrote:  Didn't ESPN have the first right of refusal (60 days) on the Orange Bowl broadcast? Maby they are having a hard time deciding on whether or not to match NBC's bid.

I'm certainly HOPING this is the reason for the delay - namely, that the ACC is waiting to take the Orange Bowl bid to the open market.

I don't see how partial Notre Dame membership would rule out having them as the 1st choice of Orange Bowl opponent... however, FULL membership would certainly rule them out.
08-15-2012 03:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
Weaver on Tech Talk Live alludes to expansion and speculation is the subject is ND

Thanks for posting 4 X 4. That's the most telling info I think we've hard so far about ND possibly coming to the ACC (in some form).
08-15-2012 06:13 PM
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(08-15-2012 03:55 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(08-15-2012 03:21 PM)XLance Wrote:  Didn't ESPN have the first right of refusal (60 days) on the Orange Bowl broadcast? Maby they are having a hard time deciding on whether or not to match NBC's bid.

I'm certainly HOPING this is the reason for the delay - namely, that the ACC is waiting to take the Orange Bowl bid to the open market.

I don't see how partial Notre Dame membership would rule out having them as the 1st choice of Orange Bowl opponent... however, FULL membership would certainly rule them out.

That's true. Of course, ND may be ruled out of the Orange Bowl if they were a partial member with 6 games scheduled and if both sides felt they didn't want a repeat matchup or if the ACC didn't want to have the possibility of ND beating say an FSU during the season and then having their champ with that scar on it going into playing the same opponent in the Bowl. Sorry for the run-on sentence.
08-15-2012 06:17 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
(08-15-2012 03:53 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(08-15-2012 02:23 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  "Not too distant future"? I'd rather it be sooner than later, myself... and who knows, maybe in the next two or three years that ND-Miami game won't be OOC anymore.

Well it probably won't be in conference because if the ACC allows partial membership to ND, it won't be long until FSU and Miami have partial membership too.

Among others.
08-15-2012 08:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Well lets see; Clemson's last undefeated season came the year I was born. Has 4 straight 10 win season's to close out the 80's. Stumbled w/ about 3-4 losing seasons in the 90's, and had 2 nine win seasons and 2 ten win seasons since the year 2000. Its not like Clemson has been head and shoulders above Pitt since I was born. I'd say the only difference is Pitt's crash in the early to mid 90's was a little harsher than Clemson's. I gotta say the last time Clemson was Nationally Relevant was 5 years after Pitt's last National Title. So in my eyes, that doesn't mean a lot because students from both University's wasn't even alive when Clemson & Pitt was relevant. Before you blame bad hires, which I know you will, remember Pitt's admin also made the same mistakes when hiring. I do have to admit that Clemson is definitely on the rise while Pitt still has some question marks. The other major difference is obviously fan support, but then again its an apples/oranges comparison. How many major programs in cities w/ NFL franchises have huge crowds for its college team? Sh*t the U hardly sells out its games.

Hey I'll admit that the ACC isn't the SEC, but who is these days. The B1G sucks, the Big XII lost more members the past 2 years than the BE did in that time span, and the Pac 12 is ok.

I will agree that schools that are cheating should be a little more relevant than just having 8 & 9 win seasons and/or worse.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2012 12:10 AM by ClairtonPanther.)
08-16-2012 12:05 AM
Advertisement

catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
RE: blah blah blah is this too long?
You might want to check on your "facts". I would suggest this website:

cfbdatawarehouse

Wonder what Clemson could have accomplished in the BE all those years.
08-16-2012 01:15 AM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
RE: blah blah blah is this too long?
(08-16-2012 01:15 AM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  You might want to check on your "facts". I would suggest this website:

cfbdatawarehouse

Wonder what Clemson could have accomplished in the BE all those years.

Well let’s go back...

Late 80's early 90's... The "U" woulda curb stomped Clemson,
Mid 90's... Well, I see that Syracuse curb stomped you in the in the Gator Bowl.
Late 90s / Early 2000's... The "U" again woulda curb stomped Clemson and Mike Vick woulda been running circles around Clemson. Pitt prolly woulda been a thorn in Clemson's side.
Mid 2000's... I'd say by the sample we have that WVU would be dropping 70 on Clemson routinely. I mean first year coach Dana Holgerson and Gino Smith owned you, imagine what Rich Rod, Pat White and Steve Slaton would've dropped on Clemson? Might have been triple digits?
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2012 09:09 AM by 7fielder.)
08-16-2012 08:07 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
RE: Weaver
(08-16-2012 12:05 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Well lets see; Clemson's last undefeated season came the year I was born. Has 4 straight 10 win season's to close out the 80's. Stumbled w/ about 3-4 losing seasons in the 90's, and had 2 nine win seasons and 2 ten win seasons since the year 2000. Its not like Clemson has been head and shoulders above Pitt since I was born. I'd say the only difference is Pitt's crash in the early to mid 90's was a little harsher than Clemson's. I gotta say the last time Clemson was Nationally Relevant was 5 years after Pitt's last National Title. So in my eyes, that doesn't mean a lot because students from both University's wasn't even alive when Clemson & Pitt was relevant. Before you blame bad hires, which I know you will, remember Pitt's admin also made the same mistakes when hiring. I do have to admit that Clemson is definitely on the rise while Pitt still has some question marks. The other major difference is obviously fan support, but then again its an apples/oranges comparison. How many major programs in cities w/ NFL franchises have huge crowds for its college team? Sh*t the U hardly sells out its games.

Hey I'll admit that the ACC isn't the SEC, but who is these days. The B1G sucks, the Big XII lost more members the past 2 years than the BE did in that time span, and the Pac 12 is ok.

I will agree that schools that are cheating should be a little more relevant than just having 8 & 9 win seasons and/or worse.

The Big 10 sucks? That is laughable. Way better football conference than the ACC and it isn't even close.
08-16-2012 10:02 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
ND
The B1G 10 is a horrible conference. The teams are; Fat, slow, and overrated. Nearly every OOC or Bowl game, that conference is getting wiped off the earth.
08-16-2012 10:08 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-16-2012 10:02 AM)Ragu Wrote:  
(08-16-2012 12:05 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Well lets see; Clemson's last undefeated season came the year I was born. Has 4 straight 10 win season's to close out the 80's. Stumbled w/ about 3-4 losing seasons in the 90's, and had 2 nine win seasons and 2 ten win seasons since the year 2000. Its not like Clemson has been head and shoulders above Pitt since I was born. I'd say the only difference is Pitt's crash in the early to mid 90's was a little harsher than Clemson's. I gotta say the last time Clemson was Nationally Relevant was 5 years after Pitt's last National Title. So in my eyes, that doesn't mean a lot because students from both University's wasn't even alive when Clemson & Pitt was relevant. Before you blame bad hires, which I know you will, remember Pitt's admin also made the same mistakes when hiring. I do have to admit that Clemson is definitely on the rise while Pitt still has some question marks. The other major difference is obviously fan support, but then again its an apples/oranges comparison. How many major programs in cities w/ NFL franchises have huge crowds for its college team? Sh*t the U hardly sells out its games.

The Big 10 sucks? That is laughable. Way better football conference than the ACC and it isn't even close.
I would put the ACC up against B1G w/o hesitation.
08-16-2012 10:15 AM
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

RE: ND
(08-16-2012 10:08 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  The B1G 10 is a horrible conference. The teams are; Fat, slow, and overrated. Nearly every OOC or Bowl game, that conference is getting wiped off the earth.

Have you seen the ACC's BCS record?
08-16-2012 10:31 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

(08-16-2012 10:15 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

You would be wrong. There is a reason why their contract dwarfs the ACC's. And why the ACC was thought of as maybe being left out of the Big 4 before it became a Big 5 again. The Big 10 is a way more powerful conference and the football is better both at the top and overall. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State at their best beat the ACC's 4 best on top of their game easily.
08-16-2012 10:33 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
RE: ND
(08-16-2012 10:31 AM)Ragu Wrote:  
(08-16-2012 10:08 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  The B1G 10 is a horrible conference. The teams are; Fat, slow, and overrated. Nearly every OOC or Bowl game, that conference is getting wiped off the earth.

Have you seen the ACC's BCS record?

Unfortunately I have. 03-banghead
08-16-2012 10:34 AM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
(08-16-2012 10:33 AM)Ragu Wrote:  
(08-16-2012 10:15 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

You would be wrong. There is a reason why their contract dwarfs the ACC's. And why the ACC was thought of as maybe being left out of the Big 4 before it became a Big 5 again. The Big 10 is a way more powerful conference and the football is better both at the top and overall. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State at their best beat the ACC's 4 best on top of their game easily.

Top to bottom the conferences are comparable. The BigTen's top heavy with O$U, Mich, Wiscy and Nebrasky have had much more success than the ACC top brass the last ten years.

BTW... Is it just me or does catdaddy disapear whenever he gets pwned?
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2012 10:45 AM by 7fielder.)
08-16-2012 10:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.