Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TMD's preseason power rankings
Bookmark and Share
psc2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
TMD's preseason power rankings
As part of our own Media Day festivities, our football rankings are out. We've got Toledo as the early favorite, edging out Ohio, NIU and Western Michigan. All four of those teams are legit.

http://themacdaily.com/?p=1027
07-24-2012 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
RE: TMD's preseason power rankings
As it should be. Toledo is going to run away with the MAC.
07-24-2012 04:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
Toledo's been the favorite the last two years too, right?

128 points allowed later...
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 04:37 PM by 7.)
07-24-2012 04:36 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(07-24-2012 04:36 PM)7 Wrote:  Toledo's been the favorite the last two years too, right?

Toledo has not been the favorite the past two seasons.
07-24-2012 08:59 PM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
(07-24-2012 08:59 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(07-24-2012 04:36 PM)7 Wrote:  Toledo's been the favorite the last two years too, right?

Toledo has not been the favorite the past two seasons.

In 2010 NIU was the favorite for MACW (http://www.huskiewire.com/articles/2010/08/01/17621326/ warning Jerry Kill picture)

In 2011 Toledo was the favorite
MAC preseason media poll

Team Points (first-place votes)

West Division
1. Toledo (8) 83
2. Northern Illinois (5) 81
3. Western Michigan (2) 76
4. Central Michigan (1) 55
5. Ball State 27
6. Eastern Michigan 24
East Division
1. Miami (4) 97
2. Ohio (8) 96
3. Temple (4) 88
4. Kent State 57
5. Bowling Green 48
6. Buffalo 37
7. Akron 25

http://www.huskiewire.com/articles/2011/07/26/45454561/
07-24-2012 09:12 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Toledo has just as many losses as NIU in the past two seasons. It's the safest bet out there.
07-24-2012 09:25 PM
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Amazing how the NIU fans on this board are so much more modest even though they have all-around accomplished much more than Toledo over the past several years.... NIU is a solid program.

.... That being said, the Broncos are gonna win the MAC West this year.... No doubts they finally get it done.

MAC West

1. WMU
2. NIU
3. EMU
4. Toledo
5. Ball State
6. CMU
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 09:44 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
07-24-2012 09:39 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
(07-24-2012 09:25 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Toledo has just as many losses as NIU in the past two seasons. It's the safest bet out there.
It's the safest bet out there? WHAT? Toledo was a putrid defensive team last year, lost its two best offensive players, and has to travel to K-zoo and DeKalb this year. Picking them to win the west is borderline illogical.

If I was doing it:
Western
NIU
Toledo
Ball State
Eastern
Central
07-24-2012 10:47 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-24-2012 10:47 PM)7 Wrote:  
(07-24-2012 09:25 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Toledo has just as many losses as NIU in the past two seasons. It's the safest bet out there.
It's the safest bet out there? WHAT? Toledo was a putrid defensive team last year, lost its two best offensive players, and has to travel to K-zoo and DeKalb this year. Picking them to win the west is borderline illogical.

If I was doing it:
Western
NIU
Toledo
Ball State
Eastern
Central

Well we have gone 7-1 the past two seasons in the MAC. Maybe I should have said "we're not a bad pick". But at least Toledo get's it done vs. teams they should beat. We haven't had a (Buffalo/CMU) type game like NIU had last season. NIU was a great team last year, and the year before. But Toledo can say that they have the least amount of losses in the past two seasons in MAC play. NIU can say they have the best winning %. Takes nothing away from what either team has done, but I don't see the wrong in picking Toledo, NIU, or WMU to win the West. WMU loses a lot, but kept Carder. NIU lost Harnish. Toledo lost Page. ... we'll see I guess.
07-24-2012 11:09 PM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
(07-24-2012 11:09 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

If I was doing it:
Western
NIU
Toledo
Ball State
Eastern
Central

Well we have gone 7-1 the past two seasons in the MAC. Maybe I should have said "we're not a bad pick". But at least Toledo get's it done vs. teams they should beat. We haven't had a (Buffalo/CMU) type game like NIU had last season. NIU was a great team last year, and the year before. But Toledo can say that they have the least amount of losses in the past two seasons in MAC play. NIU can say they have the best winning %. Takes nothing away from what either team has done, but I don't see the wrong in picking Toledo, NIU, or WMU to win the West. WMU loses a lot, but kept Carder. NIU lost Harnish. Toledo lost Page. ... we'll see I guess.

NIU has only had 2 losses total in MAC play the last 2 years...and 1 of those was in a championship game. How's Toledo done in championship games the last 2 years?

Oh wait...
07-25-2012 07:47 AM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
I seriously doubt UMass will finish dead last in the conference. I know they're new to FBS, but they'll at least beat the bottom two teams when it's all said and done.
I gotta stand up for my former conference mates 03-wink
07-25-2012 07:55 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(07-25-2012 07:47 AM)niusfactuary Wrote:  

If I was doing it:
Western
NIU
Toledo
Ball State
Eastern
Central

NIU has only had 2 losses total in MAC play the last 2 years...and 1 of those was in a championship game. How's Toledo done in championship games the last 2 years?

Oh wait...

Rockets are undefeated.03-lmfao
07-25-2012 09:00 AM
psc2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Here's what I personally like about each team.

Toledo: High octane offense that can outscore anybody when it's on. But the defense has to step up and the offense can't have an off day for this team to succeed. It's the high risk/ high reward team of the MAC.

NIU: Well built team that always seems focused. But, the Huskies have had back-to-back seasons losing key players. This year will be a true test of NIU's depth.
07-25-2012 09:05 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

NIU fans talking about our defense is also laughable. Toledo's defense gave up less points than NIU's defense when they played against eachother last year. (NIU's D gave up 60. While Toledo's gave up 49) And against certain teams we played better than NIU's D. Toledo's offense was more consistant than NIU's in scoring quickly which was part of the problem. Toledo's D was attrocious, but not a whole heck of a lot worse than NIU's. I give props to NIU for their MACC game and Bowl game D's... the rest of the season I don't think you can really say NIU's D was better.
07-25-2012 04:45 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

If I was doing it:
Western
NIU
Toledo
Ball State
Eastern
Central

Oh wait...

Toledo is 14-2 in two seasons(least amount of losses)
NIU is 16-2 in two seasons(highest win percentage)
07-25-2012 04:46 PM
jjmc85 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UMass
(07-25-2012 07:55 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  I seriously doubt UMass will finish dead last in the conference. I know they're new to FBS, but they'll at least beat the bottom two teams when it's all said and done.
I gotta stand up for my former conference mates 03-wink
Thanks!

If we were moving up with a Don Brown led team or, even better, a Mark Whipple led team, I'd agree with you. However, Kevin Morris ran the program back in his three seasons. I wouldn't be surprised with a last place finish. I'm hoping for 2-3 wins this year total. Would be nice to knock someone out of the conference championship game...
07-25-2012 05:18 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-25-2012 04:46 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

If I was doing it:
Western
NIU
Toledo
Ball State
Eastern
Central

Oh wait...

So 2<2? Hmm. Also, 1 of our losses was in the MACC.
07-25-2012 05:19 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-25-2012 05:19 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(07-24-2012 10:47 PM)7 Wrote:  It's the safest bet out there? WHAT? Toledo was a putrid defensive team last year, lost its two best offensive players, and has to travel to K-zoo and DeKalb this year. Picking them to win the west is borderline illogical.

If I was doing it:
Western
NIU
Toledo
Ball State
Eastern
Central

Oh wait...

Toledo is tied for the least amount of losses but it's still the least amount of losses! I know that NIU has been to two MACC's in the past two seasons...hence the greater winning %.

Back to the point, being the 2nd best team in the MAC for two straight seasons I think I'd expect to be picked to win a division every once in a while? Just because NIU has been to those MACC's doesn't give them anymore right to a pre-season pick than Toledo or WMU.
07-25-2012 05:59 PM
Lakeland_Rocket Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Rockets
I would LOVE to see OU beat PSU on opening day!
07-25-2012 06:04 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(07-25-2012 05:59 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(07-25-2012 05:19 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(07-24-2012 11:09 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Well we have gone 7-1 the past two seasons in the MAC. Maybe I should have said "we're not a bad pick". But at least Toledo get's it done vs. teams they should beat. We haven't had a (Buffalo/CMU) type game like NIU had last season. NIU was a great team last year, and the year before. But Toledo can say that they have the least amount of losses in the past two seasons in MAC play. NIU can say they have the best winning %. Takes nothing away from what either team has done, but I don't see the wrong in picking Toledo, NIU, or WMU to win the West. WMU loses a lot, but kept Carder. NIU lost Harnish. Toledo lost Page. ... we'll see I guess.

Oh wait...

Toledo is tied for the least amount of losses but it's still the least amount of losses! I know that NIU has been to two MACC's in the past two seasons...hence the greater winning %.

Back to the point, being the 2nd best team in the MAC for two straight seasons I think I'd expect to be picked to win a division every once in a while? Just because NIU has been to those MACC's doesn't give them anymore right to a pre-season pick than Toledo or WMU.

Really, who gives a s**t about preseason picks? Got to do it on the field. Toledo hasn't been able to do it the last two years; NIU has.

Get ready for another Ass-Kicking in DeKalb November 14th!

07-25-2012 06:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.