Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Butler to A-10 for 2012
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Butler to A-10 for 2012
Not 2013 like it was originally announced. The Horizon apparently would ban Butler from the conference tournament, meaning Butler would have to earn an at-large bid to the NCAA's.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...y/19194890
05-29-2012 04:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
RE: Butler to A-10 for 2012
2012 A10 will be a bloodbath. 16 teams including the final seasons of Temple and Charlotte.

At least one out of Temple, Xavier, Saint Louis, VCU, UMass, Dayton, St. Joseph's, Butler and Richmond is guaranteed to finish in the lower half of the A10 next season. And that's leaving out Bonaventure and La Salle, which were NCAA and NIT teams respectively last season. Rhode Island and Fordham should be improved. Charlotte and GW could be improved. Only Duquesne seems to be beating a full retreat.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 04:37 PM by LastMinuteman.)
05-29-2012 04:31 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
its getting crowded over there. So the BE will no longer be the BIGGEST conference... at least for the time being
05-29-2012 04:33 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
They would have a better shot at an at-large staying in the Horizon this upcoming season :)
05-29-2012 05:18 PM
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
They weren't that good of a team last year so it would be better for them to play the easier Horizon schedule then jump into a really good league in a rebuilding year.
05-29-2012 05:28 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Guess Darby has another update!!!!
05-29-2012 05:35 PM
Advertisement

HXC NINER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I wonder if the A-10 could crack top 5 next year with that line up.
05-29-2012 05:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
Not sure about other sports ... but for baseball, only 6 Horizon League teams play (UIC, Butler, Milwaukee, Valpo, WSU, YSU).

League will have to act quickly to maintain their auto bid next year.

IPFW and Oakland play baseball among the frequently mentioned expansion teams (IUPUI does not). The Summit could then have their own baseball problems, as they go down to 6 with Oral Roberts leaving for the Southland next year.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 05:46 PM by NittanyLion.)
05-29-2012 05:45 PM
ikers494 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Temple
I see a 5+ bid league for 2012
05-29-2012 06:04 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
(05-29-2012 04:22 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Not 2013 like it was originally announced. The Horizon apparently would ban Butler from the conference tournament, meaning Butler would have to earn an at-large bid to the NCAA's.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...y/19194890

Does it make any sense for the Horizon leadership to do that? I thought tournament credits stayed with the league, even after a team left. If Butler wins the Horizon tourney and then wins a few games in the NCAAs--doesn't that help the Horizon?
05-29-2012 06:22 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Speaking of Summit baseball, Southern Utah might be able to stick around as an affilliate member since the Big Sky does not sponsor baseball. The situation with the Great West and WAC needs to stabilize before moves can be made, though. If the WAC adds Utah Valley and California State-Bakersfield then they will probably poach Northern Colorado and Southern Utah for baseball. The Summit League might be able to pick up Chicago State, NJIT, and NYIT (the latter is Division I for baseball only) in the event of an emergency.

The Summit League has a bigger problem in that if it loses two schools, it could fall below seven active Division I Members as Nebraska-Omaha is transitioning from Division II and South Dakota's first season as a member of Division I is 2012-13.
05-29-2012 08:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
I still don't like this situation where schools can immediately leave for a new conference without having to wait a year. All it does is create more instability as the affected league has to scramble for replacements. Now the Horizon is going to have to add a garbage school like IUPUI or Oakland immediately, in response, rather than waiting until 2013 and adding a quality institution. Meanwhile, as I have been saying all along, the A-10 will have four distinct regions in a 16-team alignment.

RUSTY BUCKET: St. Louis \ Butler \ Dayton \ Xavier
MID-ATLANTIC: UNC Charlotte \ Richmond \ VCU \ George Washington
KEYSTONE\WNY: St. Joseph's \ LaSalle \ Duquesne \ St. Bonaventure
NORTHEASTERN: Temple \ Fordham \ Rhode Island \ Massachusetts

Once the A-10 expands to 16, they will want to maintain that number, rather than dropping back down to 14 in a year. That means we are going to be dealing with months and months of speculation about which schools will replace Temple and UNC Charlotte. I think Loyola is going to move into the picture off the boost from the lacrosse championship, and still believe Hofstra will finally get their wish, in order to help generate additional media attention for the A-10 in New York City.
05-29-2012 08:35 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
i still think Detroit has potential that hasnt really been tapped yet. im not sure where rxactly they could fit though (at least at this time)
05-29-2012 08:47 PM
nert Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, CMU, Cincinnati
(05-29-2012 08:35 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  Now the Horizon is going to have to add a garbage school like IUPUI or Oakland immediately, in response, rather than waiting until 2013 and adding a quality institution.

I disagree for two reasons with this comment:
1) OaklandU is not a garbage school in men's BB
2) even if the Horizon waited a year, OaklandU would probably still be the choice or one of the finalists
05-29-2012 08:49 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

(05-29-2012 08:49 PM)nert Wrote:  I disagree for two reasons with this comment:
1) Oakland U is not a garbage school in men's BB
2) even if the Horizon waited a year, OaklandU would probably still be the choice or one of the finalists

The thing is, if the Horizon was so hot to trot for Oakland, something would have been announced already. Fans are continuing to willfully ignore the biggest elephant in the entire room, which is that Detroit does not want to share a league with Oakland, and the private schools are more than happy to back them up on this issue.

The other thing I heard from a very trustworthy source is that the Horizon has been looking at an under the radar non-Summit option, but needed more time to make sure it would be the right fit for everybody, and this immediate move by Butler might cause everyone to have to hold their noses and do something they don't want.
05-29-2012 11:10 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(05-29-2012 11:10 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  

The thing is, if the Horizon was so hot to trot for Oakland, something would have been announced already. Fans are continuing to willfully ignore the biggest elephant in the entire room, which is that Detroit does not want to share a league with Oakland, and the private schools are more than happy to back them up on this issue.

The other thing I heard from a very trustworthy source is that the Horizon has been looking at an under the radar non-Summit option, but needed more time to make sure it would be the right fit for everybody, and this immediate move by Butler might cause everyone to have to hold their noses and do something they don't want.
Not really under the radar, Robert Morris and N.Kentucky came up as non Summit options. It was in an article or 2 posted way back when Butler was being looked at by the A10.
05-29-2012 11:22 PM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(05-29-2012 05:45 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  Not sure about other sports ... but for baseball, only 6 Horizon League teams play (UIC, Butler, Milwaukee, Valpo, WSU, YSU).

League will have to act quickly to maintain their auto bid next year.

IPFW and Oakland play baseball among the frequently mentioned expansion teams (IUPUI does not). The Summit could then have their own baseball problems, as they go down to 6 with Oral Roberts leaving for the Southland next year.

They're fine. You only need 6 teams to maintain an auto-bid in any sport but FBS football or basketball.
05-30-2012 07:44 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

(05-29-2012 11:22 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  Not really under the radar, Robert Morris and N.Kentucky came up as non Summit options. It was in an article or 2 posted way back when Butler was being looked at by the A10.

Those are not the schools I am talking about because, from what I have been told, no one in the Horizon considers them real options. Northern Kentucky was rejected last year and will be joining the A-Sun. Robert Morris is a figment from the imagination of a Cleveland writer who wants another game he can drive to with ease.

People in the media have agendas that do not necessarily reflect reality. Just look at the recent Katz article in which he suggests the CAA is looking at Boston U, Charleston, and Davidson, none of which do anything for CAA football. Why? Because he's a basketball writer with a basketball agenda who still does not live in 2012.

Everything that is hapening in these conferences will not be reported in the media. Looking at articles on the internet and then running with what they claim doesn't make anyone a realignment genius. How many times were Texas & Company to the Pac-12 a done deal? What about WVU to the SEC or George Mason to the A-10?
05-30-2012 04:45 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(05-30-2012 04:45 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  
(05-29-2012 11:22 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  Not really under the radar, Robert Morris and N.Kentucky came up as non Summit options. It was in an article or 2 posted way back when Butler was being looked at by the A10.

Those are not the schools I am talking about because, from what I have been told, no one in the Horizon considers them real options. Northern Kentucky was rejected last year and will be joining the A-Sun. Robert Morris is a figment from the imagination of a Cleveland writer who wants another game he can drive to with ease.

People in the media have agendas that do not necessarily reflect reality. Just look at the recent Katz article in which he suggests the CAA is looking at Boston U, Charleston, and Davidson, none of which do anything for CAA football. Why? Because he's a basketball writer with a basketball agenda who still does not live in 2012.

Everything that is hapening in these conferences will not be reported in the media. Looking at articles on the internet and then running with what they claim doesn't make anyone a realignment genius. How many times were Texas & Company to the Pac-12 a done deal? What about WVU to the SEC or George Mason to the A-10?
They aren't a figment of Katz imagination. C of C was invited by the CAA already a few years back but chose to stay in the SoCon. There are other articles about Davidson and C of C posted on the FCS board.

I mean take a look at the non Summit options for the Horizon. RMU, NKU, Morehead St., Chicago St. No one is going to drop down from MVC or A10 to join the HL. Chi St. was kicked out of the Summit. Sorry but anyone w/ inside info isn't believable on a message board. Even if your souce was the Horizon commish. Too many people w/ fake inside info have ruined it for everyone.

If the CAA went all football, they'd have 11/12. So maybe they think 1 or 2 fb and 1 bball school if they can get C of C or Davidson, who may have changed there mind after the recent success of the CAA. I don't know.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 07:35 PM by Fresno St. Alum.)
05-30-2012 05:56 PM
nert Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, CMU, Cincinnati
(05-29-2012 11:10 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  

The Horizon may have to negotiate to get UDM's permission to add OaklandU - and UDM may be able to block it - but it wouldn't be for the betterment of the Horizon League. There just isn't much in or near the Horizon's footprint that adds value to the league. OaklandU does. It doesn't replace Butler - but the HL couldn't attract a team that could replace Butler (not with what they've become lately).

I can't come up with a better add for the Butler-less HL at this point of the gettable candidates - can you? This is why I still contend - OaklandU would either be the pick or one of the finalists. Their biggest obstacle isn't being deserving of entry - but getting past UDM's short-sightedness. Perhaps UDM isn't even going to attempt to block it this time. Who knows?
05-30-2012 09:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.