Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East is the life-boats now!
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Big East is the life-boats now!
For Marinatto to be fired things have to be going poorly!

1) Notre Dame, Louisville, UConn, Cincinnati and Rugers are looking.
2) Big East may not be doing well in revenue sharing for football.
3) Air Force and BYU have no interest in the New Big East.
4) Boise, San Diego and Navy maybe ready to pull a TCU!
5) Georgetown, Villanova, Steton Hall, St. Johns, Providence, DePaul and Marquette maybe looking to split.
6) Marinatto has completely blotched the TV contract renewal.

I firmly believe a lot of glue is needed to fix this. I do believe that these teams will stay togather:

Temple
East Carolina will be added
Central Florida
South Florida
Memphis
SMU
Houston
04-cheers
05-07-2012 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Big East is the life-boats now!
(05-07-2012 10:00 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  For Marinatto to be fired things have to be going poorly!

5) Georgetown, Villanova, Steton Hall, St. Johns, Providence, DePaul and Marquette maybe looking to split.

I firmly believe a lot of glue is needed to fix this. I do believe that these teams will stay togather:

Temple
Central Florida
South Florida
Memphis
SMU
Houston
04-cheers

I think adding to that 7:
Southern Miss
UMass
Tulsa
Cincy(don't see them getting any invites)

East:
Temple, ECU, USF, UCF, Cincy, UMass
West;
Houston, SMU, Tulsa, So Miss, Memphis, 1 more

The 7 hoops teams(ND would not be joining)- would go with Xavier, Saint Louis, VCU, George Mason, and 1 more for a 12 team conference.

I think today for the 1st time- I think a split is possible.
05-07-2012 10:06 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-07-2012 10:00 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  For Marinatto to be fired things have to be going poorly!

Temple
Central Florida
South Florida
Memphis
SMU
Houston
04-cheers

Kind of an overreaction, I think.

Heck, everyone made fun of the guy, constantly. Now, he is gone and it is a sign of the Apocalypse?
05-07-2012 10:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I see it that way but with no basketball only teams! 04-cheers
05-07-2012 10:09 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(05-07-2012 10:08 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

Temple
Central Florida
South Florida
Memphis
SMU
Houston
04-cheers

Kind of an overreaction, I think.

Heck, everyone made fun of the guy, constantly. Now, he is gone and it is a sign of the Apocalypse?

No its not him being gone, its because of the mess that he created, which caused him his job! Remember Terry that he who heistates is lost! 07-coffee3
05-07-2012 10:12 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

The interesting thing about this is it would absolutely kill the CUSA. CUSA would be losing Southern Miss, Tulsa, ECU, and probably 1 more school- along with the 4 already lost. That's 2/3 of their conference. Even with the 5 additions, would be looking at only 9 schools(before ODU).

So-
MWC- would be this years MWC plus Utah St, San Jose St
CUSA- UAB, Tulane, Rice, UTEP, La Tech, FIU, UTSA, North Texas, Charlotte- plus 4-5 more
New conference
05-07-2012 10:13 AM
Advertisement

Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
I think everyojne is overreacting, too. It means something.... but that something could be relatively minor...
05-07-2012 10:14 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
It's not the apocalypse. But when you force out the commish in the middle of negotiating both a new TV deal and the new playoff system, then something significant is up.
05-07-2012 10:14 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Why not MWC and CUSA split the leftovers between each other?

Boise, SDSU, SMU, Houston, UTEP and Tulsa to the MWC for a 16 team league. Obviously the CUSA schools moving to MWC can be debated here but in principle it makes sense to me.

UCF, USF, Memphis and Temple to CUSA for a 16 team league.

Honestly that's not a bad deal MWC and CUSA. Both get better in basketball and football. No merger would be needed, both schools have a Texas presence. CUSA has Florida and MWC has California.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012 10:17 AM by blunderbuss.)
05-07-2012 10:15 AM
War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

I Root For: Boise State
Pretty sure the TV deal is not going well. That is the big problem. Boy I bet the ECU fans on here are happier than a puppy with two peters right now.
I still firmly believe going back to C-USA and the MWC is not the answer for anyone. The football schools will probably stick together, at least the ones out east. Southern Miss and ECU could greatly benefit from this.
05-07-2012 10:16 AM
Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

I Root For: Southern Miss
I just don't see USM getting an invite to the Big East. We have **** for a market and haven't done anything special enough on the field.
05-07-2012 10:16 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-07-2012 10:16 AM)War Torn Ruston Wrote:  Pretty sure the TV deal is not going well. That is the big problem. Boy I bet the ECU fans on here are happier than a puppy with two peters right now.
I still firmly believe going back to C-USA and the MWC is not the answer for anyone. The football schools will probably stick together, at least the ones out east. Southern Miss and ECU could greatly benefit from this.

Southern Miss, ECU, Tulsa, and 1 more school will be huge winners in all of this.
05-07-2012 10:17 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(05-07-2012 10:16 AM)Big Dub Wrote:  I just don't see USM getting an invite to the Big East. We have **** for a market and haven't done anything special enough on the field.

Sounds more like a Big East football collapse to me. There won't be an invite to be had. A "new CUSA" and "new MWC" could form that would both be very solid leagues. See my post on page 1.
05-07-2012 10:19 AM
War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

(05-07-2012 10:15 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Why not MWC and CUSA split the leftovers between each other?

Boise, SDSU, SMU, Houston, UTEP and Tulsa to the MWC for a 16 team league. Obviously the CUSA schools moving to MWC can be debated here but in principle it makes sense to me.

Honestly that's not a bad MWC and CUSA. No merger would be needed, both schools have a Texas presence. CUSA has Florida and MWC has California.

I know they have been working together but I am betting if The Big East football schools just jump back in a conference there will not be any meetings on who gets who. It makes sense for most schools to want in the east because that is where the population is. I do not see Houston or SMU wanting to play in the west because Wyoming and Logan are not Orlando and Memphis.
I am guessing this friendship is gonna be set to the side for a few months.
05-07-2012 10:19 AM
Mothership Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tailgating!
(05-07-2012 10:13 AM)stever20 Wrote:  The interesting thing about this is it would absolutely kill the CUSA. CUSA would be losing Southern Miss, Tulsa, ECU, and probably 1 more school- along with the 4 already lost. That's 2/3 of their conference. Even with the 5 additions, would be looking at only 9 schools(before ODU).

So-
CUSA- UAB, Tulane, Rice, UTEP, La Tech, FIU, UTSA, North Texas, Charlotte- plus 4-5 more
New conference

Putting names of conferences aside...a situation like what you stated would actually have been the death of the Big East and the reformation of C-USA under a different name.

I agree with Wedge. It's not the end but it is definitely significant. Will be interesting to see how things go. I expect the Big East to live on...at least a little while longer.
05-07-2012 10:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(05-07-2012 10:19 AM)War Torn Ruston Wrote:  
(05-07-2012 10:15 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Why not MWC and CUSA split the leftovers between each other?

Honestly that's not a bad MWC and CUSA. No merger would be needed, both schools have a Texas presence. CUSA has Florida and MWC has California.

I know they have been working together but I am betting if The Big East football schools just jump back in a conference there will not be any meetings on who gets who. It makes sense for most schools to want in the east because that is where the population is. I do not see Houston or SMU wanting to play in the west because Wyoming and Logan are not Orlando and Memphis.
I am guessing this friendship is gonna be set to the side for a few months.

Yeah, if this goes down it will be really intersting to see what happens with SMU, Houston and Tulsa.
05-07-2012 10:21 AM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think if ND sticks around, the big east will just go with the 16-18 team hybrid format, plenty of school's to replace lville, cincy, uconn and rutgers if they ever left. Yet, if ND ever bolts i have no idea what would happen. I'm not even sure what the eastern and mid west catholics would do, would they stick together or create a more geographic based league. The 5 eastern catholics could pair up with some A10, caa, etc school's for a nice 12 team eastern based league, ditto depaul, mar, st louis, xaiver and other mid west school's forming a new conference.
05-07-2012 10:23 AM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
Now, now, I'm sure everything will be just fine. Actually whatever animosity and division led to the firing of Meatball, you all will be better off with someone else leading the conference most likely. Although the timing does rather suggest that the BE's status post-AQ and their TV financials aren't working out as they had hoped.
05-07-2012 10:25 AM
War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

If C-USA and The MWC play nice they could probably work it out to where their conferences are just as good as The Current New Big East. The MWC needs some markets which is something C-USA has. And C-USA could use a few basketball schools and Memphis, Temple, and perhaps USF or Cincinnati helps there. It could be a win for both sides. A team like ECU with its facilities just needs exposure and they could explode onto the scene. Same for Southern Miss and Fresno State. People know them as giant killers but normally they are on regional TV. Teams like these that can get the TV exposure Boise State gets could become scary good really quick. And unlike Boise they have a large metro area they can use to their advantage.
05-07-2012 10:25 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-07-2012 10:21 AM)Mothership Wrote:  
(05-07-2012 10:13 AM)stever20 Wrote:  The interesting thing about this is it would absolutely kill the CUSA. CUSA would be losing Southern Miss, Tulsa, ECU, and probably 1 more school- along with the 4 already lost. That's 2/3 of their conference. Even with the 5 additions, would be looking at only 9 schools(before ODU).

So-
New conference

Putting names of conferences aside...a situation like what you stated would actually have been the death of the Big East and the reformation of C-USA under a different name.

I agree with Wedge. It's not the end but it is definitely significant. Will be interesting to see how things go. I expect the Big East to live on...at least a little while longer.

It would be kind of similar to the MWC formation- kind of a airport meeting w/o the airport. The schools would lose 3 of Tulane, Rice, UTEP, and UAB- and pick up USF, Cincy, Temple. A very positive tradeoff.

Kind of curious- which school would be most likely to come? I'd kind of guess Tulane, but not sure.
05-07-2012 10:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.