Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
? for Memphis fans
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

I was talking to a guy on another board and he told me that Memphis and the BE are talking that the Tigers may be the 9th football only member of the BE....he said the rest of Memphis's sports would play in the A-10 untill the split occured....although Rutgers, West Virginia and Virginia Tech all did the football in the BE, other sports in the A-10 for a while....the sounds kinda crazy to me...but I'd thought I'd ask to see if y'all heard anything on your end

Jackson
08-09-2004 07:59 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Thats baloney...there are no tlks and there will be no split. Its time to grow up, wouldn't you say?
08-09-2004 08:31 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

Wow...I haven't heard that at all...that would be WAY the hell out there!

...but...we could sell tickets for "The Fray in The Forum" when Cheney and Calipari met in Memphis again...complete with a weighing of the coaches!

edit: I didn't say it couldn't happen...just that I haven't heard anything one way or the other. I would, however, be surprised if that were to happen.
08-09-2004 10:59 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators

I call nonsense.
08-09-2004 11:14 PM
MichiganTiger Offline
The Right Honorable

I Root For: the UofMs

Donators

There's a guy on the TCU run C-USA board that has talked about the possibility, but it all sounds like BS to me.
08-09-2004 11:35 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I think the question is would you guys be receptive to that sort of arrangement for the short term- say 3-5 years?

P.S. TopCoog, as a Houston fan you need not respond.
08-10-2004 09:43 AM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:I was talking to a guy on another board and he told me that Memphis and the BE are talking that the Tigers may be the 9th football only member of the BE....he said the rest of Memphis's sports would play in the A-10 untill the split occured....although Rutgers, West Virginia and Virginia Tech all did the football in the BE, other sports in the A-10 for a while....the sounds kinda crazy to me...but I'd thought I'd ask to see if y'all heard anything on your end

Jackson
Just wondering if you had a link to that thread, I'd like to read it.
08-10-2004 09:45 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

There is no thread L-Yes. He is into a little chain pulling one might think.
08-10-2004 09:46 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

TopCoog Wrote:Thats baloney...there are no tlks and there will be no split. Its time to grow up, wouldn't you say?
I agree with you in that the talk of Memphis playing FB in the Big East and everything else in the A-10 is baloney. There's nothing going on right now.

However, I don't agree with you regarding the split. It's gonna happen. It's just a matter of time.
08-10-2004 09:53 AM
MichiganTiger Offline
The Right Honorable

I Root For: the UofMs

Donators

L-yes Wrote:I think the question is would you guys be receptive to that sort of arrangement for the short term- say 3-5 years?
I wouldn't like it, and I don't think our AD would either.
08-10-2004 09:56 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

<a href='http://p221.ezboard.com/fthenewbigeastfrm8.showMessage?topicID=155.topic' target='_blank'>http://p221.ezboard.com/fthenewbigeastfrm8...picID=155.topic</a>

--- Here it is L-Yes......its near the end of the thread

-- The problem is BE football is going to have to expand before 2010 if the 12 game season is passed...there is no way BE schools are going to be able to find 5 quality non-conference games a year

-- I would think Memphis fans would approve that kind of arrangment.....BCS access... and the A-10 is far better in hoops then C-USA is....plus it would only be for a few yrs.....again West Virginia, Rutgers and Virginia Tech all have done that in the past

Jackson
08-10-2004 10:44 AM
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

3601...there will never be a split in the Big East. People who say that lack a complete understanding of the economics of league formation. In the first place all the big east ever did was study the issue. They came to the only logical conclusion avilable...a split would be risky and a potential disaster.
Lets say they split and the next year, after the split, the B10 and ACC decide to expand. You then run the risk of being left with an even weaker eastern mid major football league. You don't know that the ACC or B10 would expand, true, but you don't know that they won't either. A split leaves the Big east exposed and at risk.
These idiots who advocate a split would simple give away markets like Chicage, Milwakee, Washington DC and Philly among others. It ain't gonna happen. It is purly message board talk.

Watch the name calling. It's not called for. EnterSandman <span style='color:red'>Big East mod.</span>
08-10-2004 11:17 AM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:You don't know that the ACC or B10 would expand, true, but you don't know that they won't either.
Don't talk about "the economics of league formation" and then try and say the ACC is going to expand past 12.

The Big 10 is waiting it out for ND. If they wanted Syracuse or Pitt, they would already have them.

NO MAJOR CONFERENCE WILL GO PAST 12 TEAMS. THE ONLY POINT OF GOING TO 12 IS FOR THE REVENUE OF A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, AND SPLITTING THE PIE A 13TH OR 14TH WAY SEEMS A LITTLE SILLY, DOESN'T IT?

Quote:It is purly message board talk.
Sort of like you spewing nonsense that the ACC may expand again sometime?

The Big East football schools have a deal with the basketball schools, that every 5 years they have the choice of evaluating the conference situation, and being able to break off without having to pay exit fees.

Why would they have suddenly created this rule if splitting is just "message board talk?"
08-10-2004 12:25 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

nfl, You can't risk your ****** on your guess about what they will or won't do. MT is not going to put himself out on that limb. You have top consider the worst possible senario before you make a move. Its a stupid idea that is not realistic and won't happen.
08-10-2004 01:31 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:You can't risk your ****** on your guess about what they will or won't do.
Yeah, that's right, it's highly unlikely that Cincy, USF, or the Ville will improve in the Big East, or that the basketball and football schools will split, but the ACC expanding to 14 is definitely probable, whatever.

Quote:Its a stupid idea that is not realistic and won't happen.
You have no concept of what is and isn't realistic in college football. You just tell yourself that whatever is bad for the Big East is the most likely scenerio and you convince yourself of that based on your own mindless drivel.

P.S. The Big East can't let a constant fear of ACC/Big 10 expansion dictate the direction of the conference. Let's say hell freezes over and the ridiculously unlikely scenerio of the ACC expanding to 14 comes true, whatever team the ACC wants is gone, regardless of our ties to Nova, G'town, Marquette, etc. etc. We are in sucky shape no matter who goes.

How can the Big East ever finalize it's identity if we are never moving forward and just waiting for another conference to expand before we 'do anything drastic like break away from the b-ball schools'? At some point the Big East has to act instead of reacting. The first step is breaking away, and it's a lot more likely than any of your balogna.
08-10-2004 01:39 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

nflsucks Wrote:
Quote:You can't risk your ****** on your guess about what they will or won't do.
Yeah, that's right, it's highly unlikely that Cincy, USF, or the Ville will improve in the Big East, or that the basketball and football schools will split, but the ACC expanding to 14 is definitely probable, whatever.

Quote:Its a stupid idea that is not realistic and won't happen.
You have no concept of what is and isn't realistic in college football. You just tell yourself that whatever is bad for the Big East is the most likely scenerio and you convince yourself of that based on your own mindless drivel.
He's been doing that since realignment began. And so far top coog has been incorrect on every prediction he's made. In fact if he prognosticates something I would be willing to bet the opposite will occur.
08-10-2004 01:51 PM
Advertisement

nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I remember lurking on this board and seeing him saying that the Big East would host the 5th BCS bowl, that it would be against a mid-major, and it would only have a 3 or 4 million dollar payout. Naturally he was wrong.

This guy seems to have a personal grudge against the Big East, or he's just insanely pessimistic about everything.
08-10-2004 02:00 PM
uofmlimbo Offline
1st String

I Root For:

This subject has be up for discussion in the past and our AD (RC Johnson) said he is not in favor of being in 1 conf for FB and another conf for all other sports. He prefer to be in 1 conf only. I agree and so does a lot of other people.

If BE asked Memphis to join for FB only, I can't see us moving unless the $$$ is too sweet to pass up. Also, A10 will not help Memphis in BB or any other sports. Cal got this program rolling w/ the recruits, TV and fan support.
08-10-2004 02:09 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Yeah I do nfl, 37 years in the media and I can promise you that they won't give up 4 top 10 markets. This is all internet garbage with not a single word out of the big East market save last year when they looked at it to start with. As for me always being wrong L yes, quite the opposite is true.
08-10-2004 02:55 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Yeah, 37 years in the media and you also said the Big East would only play a mid-major, get a 3-4 million dollar payout, and have to host their own BCS bowl.

But hey, I hope you are right, I don't want to split from the basketball schools, but it's a heck of a lot more likely that we do than the ACC expanding to 14.
08-10-2004 03:57 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.