Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU for #12
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
BYU for #12
BE needs to try to get BYU for #12. Once the 6 new invites are in, I think BYU will seriously consider a move to the BE.
11-02-2011 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
RE: BYU for #12
As I posted in another thread regarding BYU->BE:

I don't think that's a pipe dream. There are several reasons why they might work something out with the Big East even though they couldn't with the Big 12:

In our favor:

We are already a hybrid. They felt ethically committed to the WCC after parking their other sports there. That's fine with us - we only want them in football. The Big 12 has never been a hybrid and probably balked at only taking them in football, while BYU balked at backing out on its commitment.

Sunday games are no problem for the above reasons - in a conference like the Big 12, it was probably difficult to avoid playing on Sunday in any sport except football.

The BYU network has its own TV deal. Trying to work that out with the Big 12 would've been a true nightmare because the Big 12 had a TV deal in place. The Big East has to renegotiate next year, meaning it'll be much easier to work around the needs of individual schools.

In the Big 12, BYU would've been geographically isolated as the only school in that time zone. In the new Big East, they'd be one of 3.

In the Big 12, BYU's conference games would've all been against teams in one region. Since BYU has more of a nationwide fan base, the Big East's ability to offer them games from the Rockies to the Atlantic seaboard can only be a plus.

Also, the presence of 2 service academies as ongoing rivals would be a real plus for BYU. No other conference can offer them that, and with Navy & AF joining a conference, OOC games with service academies become less likely.

So BYU may not end up in the Big East. But I think the above reasons are good ones and can give us all a bit of hope that we might actually succeed where the Big 12 failed.
11-02-2011 12:17 PM
Wooglin157 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
I think the BE is clearly trying to. But I imagine there will be a bit of break in order to accumulate to the impending announcements of the first six.
11-02-2011 12:17 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
Good points SmallVoice. Lets hope it is a good sales plus for us and BYU.
11-02-2011 09:47 PM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!
It would give an even number of FB only schools (4). That'd be good.

BYU is also an academically solid school.

We've got enough schools for our own Consortium. Time to start it up.
11-02-2011 10:15 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(11-02-2011 10:15 PM)Bearcat 1984 Wrote:  We've got enough schools for our own Consortium. Time to start it up.

Especially as soon as the academies come aboard 04-bow
11-02-2011 10:39 PM
Advertisement

Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
I think BYU is definitely listening to all of this, the only downside at the moment is that the university has not given any indication of how it feels about the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 10:44 PM by Comet.)
11-02-2011 10:44 PM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
(11-02-2011 10:44 PM)Comet Wrote:  I think BYU is definitely listening to all of this

Indeed they are - I live near one of their temples and their missionaries just asked me for my contact info... I think I'll be getting a call from their prophet to ask me about my thoughts on the Big East!!!!! :::::fingers crossed:::::
11-02-2011 10:48 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
I think they'll join. They'll be able to go to the Northeast, to Florida, to the Ohio Valley, to Texas and of course to Colorado and Idaho as well.
11-02-2011 10:48 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
They'll probably join, unless they don't care about more money, or better bowls, or increased national exposure ...

They may wait on the Big 12 a little longer.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2011 07:04 AM by UConn-SMU.)
11-03-2011 07:03 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I'd take them but they seem to be a better fit for the B12....
11-03-2011 07:15 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-03-2011 07:15 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I'd take them but they seem to be a better fit for the B12....

Since none of the 5 invited this week, with the possible exception of UCF, were good fits for the Big East, but were invited purely out of desperation, i don't think this is a good reason not to invite BYU.
11-03-2011 07:29 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(11-03-2011 07:29 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-03-2011 07:15 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I'd take them but they seem to be a better fit for the B12....

Since none of the 5 invited this week, with the possible exception of UCF, were good fits for the Big East, but were invited purely out of desperation, i don't think this is a good reason not to invite BYU.

I didn't say we shouldn't invite them....I was speaking from their perspective. i see them holding out for the B12 as it's a better fit. The other six schools we are inviting aren't going to hold out b/c a B12 invite is never coming for them. Big difference there....
11-03-2011 07:31 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
I think BYU is looking to play a national schedule for football only. We can offer that. They want to play more locally for the other sports and have control over the TV rights. We can offer that. These are 2 advantages over the B12. I think they may still go for Indy, but I think they would choose BE over B12 as things stand today.
11-03-2011 07:34 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-03-2011 07:31 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

I didn't say we shouldn't invite them....I was speaking from their perspective. i see them holding out for the B12 as it's a better fit.

Sorry, misunderstood. No doubt, BYU would much rather get a Big 12 bid. Then again, Cincy and USF would too, LOL.
11-03-2011 07:34 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(11-03-2011 07:34 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-03-2011 07:31 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

I didn't say we shouldn't invite them....I was speaking from their perspective. i see them holding out for the B12 as it's a better fit.

Sorry, misunderstood. No doubt, BYU would much rather get a Big 12 bid. Then again, Cincy and USF would too, LOL.

You are probly right about UC/UofL....but as a fan, I really want to stay in the Big East if we can make it work, make good money, and keep improving. I have no desire to either:
A: go to B12 and be Texas/OU bit(H
or
B: go to B12 AFTER Texas/OU/OSU/TT bolt leaving KU/KSU/ISU/WVA/TCU....I'd rather be with the current BE schools + Boise, Navy, AF, UCF, Houston, etc. PLUS Gtown, Nova, Marquette etc.

current BE would be just as good as a gutted B12 in football and better in hoops.
11-03-2011 07:38 AM
Advertisement

GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame

Actually, Houston is a perfect fit. We're not in west Texas, and we're definitely not in Austin. 02-13-banana

Oh, and our basketball and football programs have some historic relevance, too. (Hoops: Five final fours, two-time runners-up, at least two Basketball Hall of Famers.) (Football: Four hall of famers, numerous All-Americans, a few Top Ten finishes (highest finish: #4 in 1976), a Heisman Trophy winner, 20 bowl appearances, ...I could go on.)
11-03-2011 07:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-03-2011 07:39 AM)GeminiShamrock Wrote:  Actually, Houston is a perfect fit. We're not in west Texas, and we're definitely not in Austin. 02-13-banana

Yes, but you're also far, far away from the East, and well, to me, that's an essential aspect of being a good fit for the Big East. For what it's worth, i freely admit that USF, while being East, is too far to the south to be an ideal fit. To someone like me who has followed the Big East since the fall of 1979, the Big East is a northeast/mid-atlantic conference.

Quote:Oh, and our basketball and football programs have some historic relevance, too. (Hoops: Five final fours, two-time runners-up, at least two Basketball Hall of Famers.) (Football: Four hall of famers, numerous All-Americans, a few Top Ten finishes (highest finish: #4 in 1976), a Heisman Trophy winner, 20 bowl appearances, ...I could go on.)

I'm well aware of your pedigree in both sports. Unfortunately, from a national perspective, the football program is mainly known for being a foil for Joe Montana in the 1979 Cotton Bowl, and for producing arguably the biggest NFL Heisman flop ever. Sorry, but that's the perception, not all that other stuff. And in basketball, it's known as the school of Phi Slamma Jamma and Elvin Hayes vs Lou Alcindor in the Astrodome. Great memories in the realm of college basketball, but 30+ years old.

Maybe you guys need better marketing?
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2011 07:44 AM by quo vadis.)
11-03-2011 07:43 AM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

(11-03-2011 07:43 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-03-2011 07:39 AM)GeminiShamrock Wrote:  Actually, Houston is a perfect fit. We're not in west Texas, and we're definitely not in Austin. 02-13-banana

Yes, but you're also far, far away from the East, and well, to me, that's an essential aspect of being a good fit for the Big East. For what it's worth, i freely admit that USF, while being East, is too far to the south to be an ideal fit. To someone like me who has followed the Big East since the fall of 1979, the Big East is a northeast/mid-atlantic conference.

Quote:Oh, and our basketball and football programs have some historic relevance, too. (Hoops: Five final fours, two-time runners-up, at least two Basketball Hall of Famers.) (Football: Four hall of famers, numerous All-Americans, a few Top Ten finishes (highest finish: #4 in 1976), a Heisman Trophy winner, 20 bowl appearances, ...I could go on.)

I'm well aware of your pedigree in both sports. Unfortunately, from a national perspective, the football program is mainly known for being a foil for Joe Montana in the 1979 Cotton Bowl, and for producing arguably the biggest NFL Heisman flop ever. Sorry, but that's the perception, not all that other stuff. And in basketball, it's known as the school of Phi Slamma Jamma and Elvin Hayes vs Lou Alcindor in the Astrodome. Great memories in the realm of college basketball, but 30+ years old.

Maybe you guys need better marketing?

We're working on it. Just give it time. 04-bow
11-03-2011 07:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

Oh, and the "we're definitely not in Austin" part of my original response to your post was meant to make you laugh. Seriously, I hate the Longholes.
11-03-2011 07:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.