Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tribune sucks
Bookmark and Share
DoubleHuskie84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N I U
Tribune sucks
I'm really getting irritated with the second-class coverage we get. Relegated to 4 pages back, no picture, behind a longer story about the rain delaying the always OVER-RATED ND. The best team in the state deserves much better coverage!
03-banghead 01-lauramac2
09-04-2011 08:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
RE: Tribune sucks
Atleast we get a solid reporter in Fred Mitchell covering us. He does a great job. I have a feeling there will be plenty of NIU coverage this year in the Chicago media.
09-04-2011 09:22 AM
NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
That is exactly why i switched to the daily herald. Unless you live in the city, the daily herald has so much more coverage of local news and sports.
09-04-2011 09:25 AM
DoubleHuskie84 Offline
1st String

(09-04-2011 09:22 AM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Atleast we get a solid reporter in Fred Mitchell covering us. He does a great job. I have a feeling there will be plenty of NIU coverage this year in the Chicago media.

I agree with you about Fred. His stories are victims of the editor.
09-04-2011 09:52 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(09-04-2011 09:52 AM)DoubleHuskie84 Wrote:  
(09-04-2011 09:22 AM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Atleast we get a solid reporter in Fred Mitchell covering us. He does a great job. I have a feeling there will be plenty of NIU coverage this year in the Chicago media.

I agree with you about Fred. His stories are victims of the editor.

The reporter's fine but it doesn't do any good when there are hardly any articles and those are marginalized. That's why I'll never go back to the Tribune even though they've been calling me for years to get me back.
09-04-2011 10:26 AM
cartershaw Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, UT
Hey on espn, they showed clips of the game, including the blocked punt, jamal womble's awesome screen...
09-04-2011 10:27 AM
Advertisement

beachboy Offline
1st String

I Root For: huskies
But NIU17, the Herald don't cover the Army game; it used an AP story instead. At least the Trib was there with a bylined story. Same with the Sun-Time.
09-04-2011 12:15 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
I can't stand either Chicago paper. That's why I no longer read either. I cancelled my subscriptions and told them it was because of their piss-poor coverage of NIU.

I now get my sports fixes exclusively from ESPN3.com. I have it on all the time and even have it projected on my wall and ceiling. It's the greatest!! 03-wink
09-04-2011 12:23 PM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
(09-04-2011 08:47 AM)DoubleHuskie84 Wrote:  I'm really getting irritated with the second-class coverage we get. Relegated to 4 pages back, no picture, behind a longer story about the rain delaying the always OVER-RATED ND. The best team in the state deserves much better coverage!
03-banghead 01-lauramac2

Yes Northwestern deserves to be on page 2 not page 3 03-lmfao

But seriously, I find it particularly galling that they put a Nebraska story on page 3 below the NU & U of I articles and relegated the Huskies to page 5. Nebraska is not only new to the Big 10, they have few IHSA players on their team. Huskies should have been on page 3.
09-04-2011 12:54 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

Above all, I hate the Chicago papers' obsession with that college in South Bend (TCISB). Sorry, can't even say the name anymore. They aren't even an Illinois school but they get the front page all the time. Not to mention that there's only an article about NIU when it's convenient.
09-04-2011 03:30 PM
NIU17 Offline
All American

(09-04-2011 12:15 PM)beachboy Wrote:  But NIU17, the Herald don't cover the Army game; it used an AP story instead. At least the Trib was there with a bylined story. Same with the Sun-Time.
But the Herald will have more stories about NIU during the week than either Chicago paper.
09-04-2011 04:09 PM
Advertisement

DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Having not read a physical newspaper from one of the locals in several years, the page number of the coverage is immaterial. Heck, I'm not sure the presence of game stories matters at all, since that just isn't where people get their information anymore.

As core fans, we don't need the Trib or Sun-Times, we have HuskieWire from the Chronicle, and get a lot of information direct from NIU.

What is problematic in terms of reaching the general population is the frequency NIU stories find their way to the front pages of the local paper's websites and ESPN Chicago.

And then there's the long run. The traditional local outlets for sports info are in deep decline. How does NIU get its name and stories out in a world where local news coverage stops mattering?
09-04-2011 04:59 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Let's just keep winning and see what happens with NIU coverage. Keep in mind that our game was the last of all four to get done, so some of the decisions on space, page, etc., involved the reality of deadlines. For everyone saying how much they hate the Chicago papers, those publications still reach a larger and more broad audience which is where we can gain more fans from. Talk to someone who knows the reporters and they'll tell that Lindsey Wilhite's passion is for the Illini and the Big Ten which is why he only comes to DeKalb when it suits him.
09-04-2011 05:37 PM
Highhouse Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: N.I.U.
(09-04-2011 08:47 AM)DoubleHuskie84 Wrote:  I'm really getting irritated with the second-class coverage we get. Relegated to 4 pages back, no picture, behind a longer story about the rain delaying the always OVER-RATED ND. The best team in the state deserves much better coverage!
03-banghead 01-lauramac2

The coverage that the Trib gives ND is ridiculous. Cover the state's schools first and where most of your readership graduated from. Not some school in Indiana where a couple of the Trib board members went to.
09-04-2011 07:28 PM
DoubleHuskie84 Offline
1st String

(09-04-2011 07:28 PM)Highhouse Wrote:  
03-banghead 01-lauramac2

The coverage that the Trib gives ND is ridiculous. Cover the state's schools first and where most of your readership graduated from. Not some school in Indiana where a couple of the Trib board members went to.

+1
09-05-2011 12:17 PM
NSwanson89 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
09-05-2011 12:29 PM
Advertisement

uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(09-04-2011 07:28 PM)Highhouse Wrote:  The coverage that the Trib gives ND is ridiculous. Cover the state's schools first and where most of your readership graduated from. Not some school in Indiana where a couple of the Trib board members went to.

Unfortunately readership is not reflected by where people graduated from, not that there aren't tons of Notre Dame grads in the area (and before anyone assumes something, I hate the Fighting Irish). How many people on here keep bragging about how they don't subscribe to either paper or any paper, so why should they worry about us. I'm sick of how much space they spend on ND as well, but the more we win, the more they can't ignore us and when they do something positive, I let them know it was noticed. I'm glad they've got someone of Fred Mitchell's calibre covering us instead of using an AP article.
09-05-2011 02:32 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(09-05-2011 12:17 PM)DoubleHuskie84 Wrote:  
03-banghead 01-lauramac2

+1

And it still amazes me how little mention NIU gets on WSCR. This week leading up to the game, the various hosts would talk about who NU is playing, who ND is playing, who the Illini is playing, just made me sick. If NIU was opening against Tennessee Tech I could understand, but that was billed as a pretty good game going in against Army.
09-05-2011 02:36 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(09-05-2011 02:32 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(09-04-2011 07:28 PM)Highhouse Wrote:  The coverage that the Trib gives ND is ridiculous. Cover the state's schools first and where most of your readership graduated from. Not some school in Indiana where a couple of the Trib board members went to.

Unfortunately readership is not reflected by where people graduated from, not that there aren't tons of Notre Dame grads in the area (and before anyone assumes something, I hate the Fighting Irish). How many people on here keep bragging about how they don't subscribe to either paper or any paper, so why should they worry about us. I'm sick of how much space they spend on ND as well, but the more we win, the more they can't ignore us and when they do something positive, I let them know it was noticed. I'm glad they've got someone of Fred Mitchell's calibre covering us instead of using an AP article.

I used to subscribe to the Tribune, and have told them I wouldn't subscribe now since they don't cover NIU much, at best we're relegated to the back pages. Last year, after NIU beat Minnesota, one of the biggest wins in recent years and one of very few against the Big X, and while the Daily Herald had an article, and the Sun-times even did, the Tribune had nothing - not even the score - it just said "Late game". I noticed this because I was at the library and checked the Chicago newspapers just because I was curious to see what they'd say about it.

So even when we do get a big win - yes, they can ignore us, very easily.
09-05-2011 02:42 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(09-05-2011 02:36 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(09-05-2011 12:17 PM)DoubleHuskie84 Wrote:  
03-banghead 01-lauramac2

+1

And it still amazes me how little mention NIU gets on WSCR. This week leading up to the game, the various hosts would talk about who NU is playing, who ND is playing, who the Illini is playing, just made me sick. If NIU was opening against Tennessee Tech I could understand, but that was billed as a pretty good game going in against Army.

I've given up any thought of getting exposure on WSCR other than the game itself.
09-05-2011 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.