Thread Closed 
week one attendance
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

Pitt 66451
UCONN 40000
Cincy 21458

anybody have exact # for the SU/WVU game? Its not on the NCAA.org site.

A bit concerned about the Bearcats numbers. I know it was Eastern Michigan, but look at the pathetic schools with higher #'s than Cincy:

Louisiana - Monroe
Central Michigan
Marshall
SMU
New Mexcio State
Tulsa

Yikes... that's a sad group, and each one had more butts-in-seats in Week One than Cincy. Let's hope that the conference games bring more people out to the games.
09-06-2005 10:36 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

wvucrazed Wrote:Louisiana - Monroe
Central Michigan
Marshall
SMU
New Mexcio State
Tulsa
With the exception of SMU, do any of these schools have any in-city competition? An NFL team? An MLB team?

Don't worry about the Bearcats, they'll be fine.
09-06-2005 11:11 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

wvucrazed Wrote:Pitt 66451
UCONN 40000
Cincy 21458

anybody have exact # for the SU/WVU game? Its not on the NCAA.org site.

A bit concerned about the Bearcats numbers. I know it was Eastern Michigan, but look at the pathetic schools with higher #'s than Cincy:

Louisiana - Monroe
Central Michigan
Marshall
SMU
New Mexcio State
Tulsa

Yikes... that's a sad group, and each one had more butts-in-seats in Week One than Cincy. Let's hope that the conference games bring more people out to the games.
I believe Cuse's attendence was 46K. UCONN's attendence is 40K because thats 100% capacity in the stadium. BTW, UCONN already sold out the entire season with over 31K of season tickets.
09-07-2005 02:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

wvucrazed Wrote:Pitt  66451
UCONN  40000
Cincy  21458

anybody have exact # for the SU/WVU game?  Its not on the NCAA.org site.

A bit concerned about the Bearcats numbers.  I know it was Eastern Michigan, but look at the pathetic schools with higher #'s than Cincy:

Louisiana - Monroe
Central Michigan
Marshall
SMU
New Mexcio State
Tulsa

Yikes... that's a sad group, and each one had more butts-in-seats in Week One than Cincy.  Let's hope that the conference games bring more people out to the games.
There's a million things UC had going against them because of attendance. We're in a pro sports town, playing on a Thursday night, a school night, with the Bengals playing the next day against a non-big name. I think we drew pretty well all things considered. I mean it's ridiculous to compare those school's attendance when they don't have to compete against the Bengals and Reds. Attendance will go up, playing the game on a Thursday a day before the Bengals are playing their last preseason home game against the Colts isn't exactly going to spike attendance. I'd love to see how those schools would have drawn in our situation.
09-07-2005 05:20 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

SF Husky Wrote:
wvucrazed Wrote:Pitt  66451
UCONN  40000
Cincy  21458

anybody have exact # for the SU/WVU game?  Its not on the NCAA.org site.

A bit concerned about the Bearcats numbers.  I know it was Eastern Michigan, but look at the pathetic schools with higher #'s than Cincy:

Louisiana - Monroe
Central Michigan
Marshall
SMU
New Mexcio State
Tulsa

Yikes... that's a sad group, and each one had more butts-in-seats in Week One than Cincy.  Let's hope that the conference games bring more people out to the games.
I believe Cuse's attendence was 46K. UCONN's attendence is 40K because thats 100% capacity in the stadium. BTW, UCONN already sold out the entire season with over 31K of season tickets.
Thats about right for Cuse. I hope that we can get at least 35,000 for Buffalo this week. Its hard to draw for a no name opponent, but its no excuse to not sell out the Dome in Upstate NY, with all those people within a 2 hour drive.
09-07-2005 07:56 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

Also, UC does not start classes until the thrid week of Sept.
09-07-2005 08:10 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

UC needs to stop using the Bungles as an excuse. They play on different days for crying out loud.

The Bearcats have won more over the past decade and are cheaper tickets. What more can people possibly ask for?

The point about classes is legit. Probably about 4-5000 more if students were around.
09-07-2005 08:57 AM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

wvucrazed Wrote:I know it was Eastern Michigan, but look at the pathetic schools with higher #'s than Cincy:

Louisiana - Monroe
Central Michigan
Marshall
SMU
New Mexcio State
Tulsa
Tulsa was hosting Minnesota, SMU was hosting Baylor, and NMSU was hosting UTEP. For those schools those are some big rivals or rarely played, but heavily loathed, neighbors. Marshall has been hyping their CUSA move for some time but ended up short of the desired #. La Monroe actually benefitted from the hurricane relief as many folks were treated to the game as a diversion. As for CMU, I've no idea what compelled that crowd! :D

Quote:Also, UC does not start classes until the thrid week of Sept.
Damn!!! You all get recess, too? 03-razz

Seriously, though, that seems awwwwwwfully late. Is it just me?
09-07-2005 09:21 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

Lemmiwinks Wrote:UC needs to stop using the Bungles as an excuse. They play on different days for crying out loud.

The Bearcats have won more over the past decade and are cheaper tickets. What more can people possibly ask for?

The point about classes is legit. Probably about 4-5000 more if students were around.
If people are spending upwards of $100 per week and scheduling an entire Sunday away from home to watch the sorry Bengals play, how much money or time do you think they have left to watch the Bearcats play?
09-07-2005 10:02 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

bearcatfan Wrote:
Lemmiwinks Wrote:UC needs to stop using the Bungles as an excuse.  They play on different days for crying out loud.

The Bearcats have won more over the past decade and are cheaper tickets.  What more can people possibly ask for?

The point about classes is legit.  Probably about 4-5000 more if students were around.
If people are spending upwards of $100 per week and scheduling an entire Sunday away from home to watch the sorry Bengals play, how much money or time do you think they have left to watch the Bearcats play?
That's part of what I said. Worth repeating, though: Bearcats are obviously the better deal :D 04-cheers
09-07-2005 10:26 AM
CardinalEmpire.com Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Syracuse listed the official attendance at 45418 in their box score for the game.

<a href='http://www.suathletics.com/Sports/Football/2005/WVUfb05.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.suathletics.com/Sports/Football...005/WVUfb05.asp</a>
09-07-2005 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

GunnerFan Wrote:
Quote:Also, UC does not start classes until the thrid week of Sept.
Damn!!! You all get recess, too? 03-razz

Seriously, though, that seems awwwwwwfully late. Is it just me?
UC also doesn't get out till mid June. Its an Ohio thing. Three ten week quarters rather than 2 fifteen week semesters.
09-07-2005 11:14 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

Lemmiwinks Wrote:
bearcatfan Wrote:
Lemmiwinks Wrote:UC needs to stop using the Bungles as an excuse.  They play on different days for crying out loud.

The Bearcats have won more over the past decade and are cheaper tickets.  What more can people possibly ask for?

The point about classes is legit.  Probably about 4-5000 more if students were around.
That's part of what I said. Worth repeating, though: Bearcats are obviously the better deal :D 04-cheers
I need to add another thing to what I was saying:

The BE DOES NOT CARE what our reasons are for poor attendance. Steelertown (featuring an even better pro franchise than Cincinnati, believe it or not) managed to draw over 60K.
09-07-2005 11:49 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

The Bearcats would draw 67,000 for Notre Dame too. The fair comparison is how many would Pitt draw for a lower tier MAC team on a weeknight with no students preceeding a holiday weekend, with the Steelers playing the next day.
Probably about 30,000. So really there is not as much difference as it seems. Pitt fans have been treated to a steady diet of games with Notre Dame, Penn State, WVU, Va Tech, B.C. Syrcause etc. While UC played the Southern CUSA no travel teams. Lets give this a chance. Let the rivalries get some blood. Lets see the travel between the four schools UL, WVU, Pitt and Cincy. I am so happy we have a great campus stadium and can play the selected games against an OSU and Notre Dame at PBS when we want.
09-07-2005 12:09 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

Bearcat T Wrote:The Bearcats would draw 67,000 for Notre Dame too. The fair comparison is how many would Pitt draw for a lower tier MAC team on a weeknight with no students preceeding a holiday weekend, with the Steelers playing the next day.
Probably about 30,000. So really there is not as much difference as it seems. Pitt fans have been treated to a steady diet of games with Notre Dame, Penn State, WVU, Va Tech, B.C. Syrcause etc. While UC played the Southern CUSA no travel teams. Lets give this a chance. Let the rivalries get some blood. Lets see the travel between the four schools UL, WVU, Pitt and Cincy. I am so happy we have a great campus stadium and can play the selected games against an OSU and Notre Dame at PBS when we want.
Fair enough... 03-cool
09-07-2005 12:13 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

Bearcat T Wrote:The Bearcats would draw 67,000 for Notre Dame too. The fair comparison&nbsp; is how many would Pitt draw for a lower tier MAC team on a weeknight with no students preceeding a holiday weekend, with the Steelers playing the next day.&nbsp;
Probably about 30,000. So really there is not as&nbsp; much difference as it seems.&nbsp; Pitt fans have been treated to a steady diet of games with Notre Dame, Penn State, WVU, Va Tech, B.C. Syrcause etc. While UC played the Southern CUSA no travel teams. Lets give this a chance.&nbsp; Let the rivalries get some blood. Lets see the travel between the four schools UL, WVU, Pitt and Cincy. I am so happy we have a great campus stadium and can play the selected games against an OSU and Notre Dame at PBS when we want.
Excellent post.

And do not expect a huge crowd for div 1-AA Western Carolina unless UC is able to beat Penn St. If this happens, UC could get 25000 or more for the Western Carolina game. If not, expect about 15000 or less.

The key to attendance for UC this year is to be at .500 or better or at least competitive in games at Miami (OH) and at Pitt before UCONN, UofL, and WVU come to town.

If UC has only 1 or 2 wins before then and have been blown out a time or 2, I can tell you now attendance will not be good, (with the possible exception of UofL - they will bring a lot of fans).

It's been stated before - there are probably about 10,000 die hard UC football fans. Then you have 6000-8000 UC basketball fans that get tickets as part of their b-ball season ticket requirement, and if they have nothing better to do and / or UC FB is doing well, they will come to the UC FB game.

Add the casual UC fan in if UC is doing well and you get up to 22000 for a typical game (with the major exception - somehow UC drew 30000 for Temple a couple of years ago)

For a 'name' opponent like Purdue, WIsconsin, etc - Nippert is usually packed or near capacity of 35000.
09-07-2005 01:44 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

UC drew well because they were 2-0 and had destroyed ECU in the 1st game of the year. It goes to show the fair weather nature of Cincinnati. UC finally got that 30K into the stands and ended up with egg on their face after Minter did his typical playing not to lose game. UC was 10x better than Temple, yet had to get lucky to win in the 3rd OT. The fans didn't come back the rest of that season.
09-07-2005 02:03 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

mlb Wrote:UC drew well because they were 2-0 and had destroyed ECU in the 1st game of the year. It goes to show the fair weather nature of Cincinnati. UC finally got that 30K into the stands and ended up with egg on their face after Minter did his typical playing not to lose game. UC was 10x better than Temple, yet had to get lucky to win in the 3rd OT. The fans didn't come back the rest of that season.
I think it was the victory in Morgantown, in addition to the ECU blowout.
09-07-2005 02:12 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

One of the largest attended games each year by the students is the Sat night game preceeding the start of classes. Luckily the Western Carolina game is Sept. 17th and classes start the 21st. The Temple game you speak of was great and it fit exactly on this same Sat night etc. They move into the dorms and frats the same day so all the out of town kids and the locals who live around campus are finally back and usually attend in flocks this night. The only bad thing is this is also Octoberfest weekend in Cincy which draws 500,000 downtown. It is also a Bengals home game with Minnesota on Sun. Luckily they can go down there Sat afternoon or Sunday so it should not effect it that much. I think 25,000 to 28,000 s/b attainable with a decent showing at Penn St. It is also Skyline Chili night which has been an effective promotion in the past.
Luckily the University gave into Athletics and let UConn be Homecoming a week early this year. Homecoming and the 1st Big East game ever at home s/b a decent draw. UL comes in the following week and s/b a great crowd. The last game is WVU bad time for mid week game in Nov. Hopefully the Cats are still in the hunt at this point. This could have been a great crowd. Hopefully it will still be decent but we may will not get the thousands of help from WVU like if it was on Sat.
09-07-2005 03:20 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.