Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oliver Luck is dropping bombs this morning
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
Oliver Luck is dropping bombs this morning
This is from a state-wide television interview. I hope this is linked correctly....and if its not allowed, please delete on my behalf (not sure of all the rules).

EDIT: Here is the interview

http://www.wvillustrated.com/wvufootball/story/id/1113
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 08:20 AM by EerMeNow.)
06-12-2011 08:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marksonar85 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Oliver Luck is dropping bombs this morning
Wow but where are tter going to go unless it independent.
06-12-2011 08:23 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Where were the bombs in this interview? I didn't hear any drop as it related to NOVA, scheduling, and the Big East.

1. Said that NOVA was not voted in and nothing has changed in terms of its stadium issue.
2. Said that extending Marshall is on hold until the Big East expansion has been resolved. Luck doesn't know if West Virginia will have any future openings in its schedule.
3. West Virginia has already scheduled future home-and-home series with Michigan State and Florida State, and extended by eight years its series with Maryland.

Good interview and thanks for posting it, but nothing that rises to the level of bombs dropping.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 08:39 AM by WacoBearcat.)
06-12-2011 08:39 AM
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(06-12-2011 08:39 AM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  Where were the bombs in this interview? I didn't hear any drop as it related to NOVA, scheduling, and the Big East.

1. Said that NOVA was not voted in and nothing has changed in terms of its stadium issue.
2. Said that extending Marshall is on hold until the Big East expansion has been resolved. Luck doesn't know if West Virginia will have any future openings in its schedule.
3. West Virginia has already scheduled future home-and-home series with Michigan State and Florida State, and extended by eight years its series with Maryland.

Good interview and thanks for posting it, but nothing that rises to the level of bombs dropping.

The "bomb worthy" comment for me was in regards to his belief that another major reshuffling is on the horizon.
06-12-2011 08:44 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
The guy is just talking for the sake of listening to himself talk at this point.
06-12-2011 08:44 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

A lot of people have said that and nothing has happened, especially with the TV deal. All his comments did was get WVU fans believing that they will be in the SEC soon and that's not happening. The SEC talks expansion at this time every year, and they announce that they are talking expansion, and then it's shut down when they can't get Texas or someone like that. The real interesting things were his comments that nothing has changed with Nova and that Pitt and WVU voted no and the Marshall deal being held up due to expansion. But nothing else. I mean what bombshell, major conference re-shuffling? He also mentioned BYU as a possibility but reportedly that was never a possibility, it's almost as if he's reading message board and reporting on it. Nothing is happening in conference shuffling (outside of the Big East) so we need to get our house in order.
06-12-2011 09:02 AM
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Online
Heisman

(06-12-2011 08:44 AM)EerMeNow Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 08:39 AM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  Where were the bombs in this interview? I didn't hear any drop as it related to NOVA, scheduling, and the Big East.

The "bomb worthy" comment for me was in regards to his belief that another major reshuffling is on the horizon.

Luck's been saying stuff like that for months now. He's been the poster child among the ADs for conference changes, especially in the BE.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 09:18 AM by cinbinsportsfan.)
06-12-2011 09:15 AM
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Luck is smart. He knows his coach in waiting thing didn't work out, as most WVU fans told him it wouldn't. So now he has to say something, anything, to move WVU fans focus from the coaching situation to something else. Two topics that will do that are playing Marshall (most WVU fans believe nothing good can come from it) and moving to The SEC. (Do I have to explain why most WVU fans would want to do that?) Like I said Luck is smart. He knows PR. He knows how to make fans stop talking about a bad situation; Give them something YOU want them to talk about. I wish Jurich would practice this.
CJ
06-12-2011 09:23 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(06-12-2011 09:23 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Luck is smart. He knows his coach in waiting thing didn't work out, as most WVU fans told him it wouldn't. So now he has to say something, anything, to move WVU fans focus from the coaching situation to something else. Two topics that will do that are playing Marshall (most WVU fans believe nothing good can come from it) and moving to The SEC. (Do I have to explain why most WVU fans would want to do that?) Like I said Luck is smart. He knows PR. He knows how to make fans stop talking about a bad situation; Give them something YOU want them to talk about. I wish Jurich would practice this.
CJ

+1 04-cheers
06-12-2011 10:07 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(06-12-2011 09:23 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Luck is smart. He knows his coach in waiting thing didn't work out, as most WVU fans told him it wouldn't. So now he has to say something, anything, to move WVU fans focus from the coaching situation to something else. Two topics that will do that are playing Marshall (most WVU fans believe nothing good can come from it) and moving to The SEC. (Do I have to explain why most WVU fans would want to do that?) Like I said Luck is smart. He knows PR. He knows how to make fans stop talking about a bad situation; Give them something YOU want them to talk about. I wish Jurich would practice this.
CJ
IMO the decision to keep Stew around for an extra year was forced upon him by the WVU BoG. I believe he wanted to make the change immediately, and this compromise was the only way he would get the change made...

Some in the media think Luck's position at WVU has been weakened by all the controversy surrounding the end of Stew's tenure. But I think he's come out stronger than ever, since the compromise imposed on him by the BoG didn't work...

As for this press conference. He really didn't say anything new. But it's step one in leaving all the controversy behind and preparing for the upcoming season...
06-12-2011 10:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

CJ

I think you're right CJ. At the same time it keeps the pressure on the Big East offices to pursue expansion with earnest, which I like.
06-12-2011 10:33 AM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Well, there's a half hour of my life that I'll never get back. Basically it was just some old dude fawning all over Luck and tossing him a series of softball questions that were preceded by a series of defenses and compiments. Very strange dynamic. By the end of the flirtation...er, I mean interview...I was waiting for him to ask Luck out on a date but maybe he did that off camera?
06-12-2011 10:44 AM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
Ah luck, keeping the off season a little more bearable every week with random interviews....
06-12-2011 11:27 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(06-12-2011 08:39 AM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  2. Said that extending Marshall is on hold until the Big East expansion has been resolved. Luck doesn't know if West Virginia will have any future openings in its schedule.

No "bombs" but I considered this one interesting on two levels. One is that there may not be room for Marshall on the schedule, and the other is that they're actually trying to decide on whether or not to play Marshall. I mean, it seems 99% of WVU supporters detest that series as is.
06-12-2011 11:59 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Marshall really blew it last year. What a choke job. They might never have that golden of an opportunity against WVU again.
06-12-2011 12:34 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Which is the entire reason for Chuck Landon's angst... 03-lmfao
06-12-2011 12:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nola Gator Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Florida
(06-12-2011 08:44 AM)CatsClaw Wrote:  The guy is just talking for the sake of listening to himself talk at this point.

I agree. I think Luck is a good AD but he is greatly overvalued on message boards. His son is a great QB and a smart kid and Oliver Luck does a good job of promoting the school but the coach in waiting mess is squarely on him. Everyone in the country knew that was a doomed situation and he deserves a lot of blame for the black cloud hanging over the program.

It is nice to hear someone talk about league and its potential plans (should be the commish but he is an obvious loser without any vision or insight) but at a certain point, Luck just keeps repeating himself and you can get the same information on any message board.
06-12-2011 02:36 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

Its been posted by myself, and Bit, in this thread and others, but folks don't seem to be able to comprehend it: Bill Stewart had a great deal of support from some in the BOG, and the WVU administration - as well as our largest and most important booster. They were not going to toss him out. The coach in waiting situation was NOT "squarely on" Oliver Luck.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 03:11 PM by wvucrazed.)
06-12-2011 03:00 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

crazed, these guys have their minds made up about the situation. Screw 'em... 07-coffee3
06-12-2011 04:26 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(06-12-2011 04:26 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  crazed, these guys have their minds made up about the situation. Screw 'em... 07-coffee3

No doubt Stewart had support which possibly explains why he and his wife went after Holgorsen. Maybe they figured they could undercut Holgorson and use their support to get Stew the job back. Unfortunately, by going after Holgorson they brought a great deal of negative publicity to the university and that is something the board members and administrators of West Virginia can not tolerate, even the ones orginally supporting Stew. Bad strategy by the Stewarts.
06-12-2011 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.