Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So will Tressel get canned?
Bookmark and Share
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
So will Tressel get canned?
What is your bets on Tressel getting canned?

I think OSU doesn't have the guts to do it.

I can't say I hate Tressel, I do hate OSU football, but Tressel never comes off as an assclown like Thad Matta.

05-02-2011 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
RE: So will Tressel get canned?
I will be surprised if tosu pops him. Gordon Gee understands all too well that the fans and big dollar boys want Tressel coaching. Add in the fact that Gee is a coward and it pretty much assures you that Tressel ain't goin' anywhere. I sure am glad that my state money is being spent wisely.

05-02-2011 12:50 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I could see THE OSU pulling the trigger if the embarrassment level from the backlash is intense enough. Has that point been reached yet? From their perspective, I don't know.

Nonetheless, they are one Cooper hire away from returning to mediocrity, so I'm sure they'll consider it very carefully.

05-02-2011 01:02 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
I realize that tO$U has been less than aboveboard on anything concerning sports BUT, I believe that any school with enough fortitude to fire Woody Hayes has enough to fire Jim Tressel.

05-02-2011 02:33 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
If the NCAA reduces scholarships and eliminates participation in a bowl game for a couple of years, Tressel would get canned.

If the NCAA agrees to the self-imposed sanctions, then Tressel might get a raise. Maybe even a medal that he can sell in a local tatoo parlor.

05-02-2011 04:06 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(05-02-2011 04:06 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  If the NCAA agrees to the self-imposed sanctions, then Tressel might get a raise. Maybe even a medal that he can sell in a local tatoo parlor.

That's perfectly legal for the coach to do 03-lmfao

05-02-2011 05:01 PM
Advertisement

THE BearcatBrent Offline
Nancy WAS wrong.................

I Root For: who I want

05-02-2011 06:23 PM
GoBearcats! Offline
2nd String

I Root For: B. MILLS & UC!!
(05-02-2011 12:28 PM)BearcatDave Wrote:  What is your bets on Tressel getting canned?

I think OSU doesn't have the guts to do it.

I can't say I hate Tressel, I do hate OSU football, but Tressel never comes off as an ******** like Thad Matta.

I agree Dave, I never had a problem with Tressel. Thud however, is a complete d-bag and simply impossible to tolerate. But Tressel getting canned...I don't think O$U has the guts to can him.

05-02-2011 09:32 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Only way he gets canned is if he has back to back 8-4 seasons, pending no more really bad stuff coming out from the media,
like a bunch of players getting arrested is a small window of time.

05-03-2011 12:19 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(05-02-2011 06:23 PM)THE BearcatBrent Wrote:  A billboard in Michigan -

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/20...-billboard

03-lmfao

05-03-2011 01:54 PM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
[Image: tressel_tats_medium.gif]
[Image: tresselwalk.jpg][Image: tressel_detail.jpg]
[Image: Kirk-thumb.jpeg][Image: medium_bslilly.jpg]

05-05-2011 09:28 AM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Updated: May 7, 2011, 11:27 AM ET
Report: Ohio State faces more scrutiny

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State's director of compliance is reviewing at least 50 car sales to Buckeyes athletes and relatives to see if they met NCAA rules, The Columbus Dispatch reported Saturday.

The newspaper reported that a salesman who received game passes from Ohio State athletes handled many of the deals at two different dealerships. Ohio State has since taken the salesman, Aaron Kniffin, off the pass list.

Athletes are prevented from receiving special deals not available to other students. They are not permitted to trade autographs for discounts. Both dealerships display signed Ohio State memorabilia in their showrooms.

One car, a 2-year-old Chrysler 300 with fewer than 20,000 miles, was titled to then-sophomore defensive player Thaddeus Gibson in 2009. Documents show the purchase price as $0. Gibson said he did not know why the title showed a zero for the purchase price and said he was still paying for the car.

State law requires dealers to report accurate information about all car sales for tax purposes.

School officials have seen no evidence of players getting special treatment in vehicle sales, Douglas Archie, associate athletic director for compliance, said in a statement Saturday.

"Consistent with our standard procedures, we are nevertheless reviewing these sales to assure ourselves that our policies were adhered to," he said.

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor's mother and brother also purchased cars from the dealerships. Kniffin loaned his own car to Pryor for a three-day test drive to Pryor's home in Jeannette, Pa.

Kniffin and the owner of one of the dealerships he worked for, Jason Goss, have attended seven football games as guests of players, including the 2007 national championship game and the 2009 Fiesta Bowl.

Ohio State already has five players -- including Pryor -- serving five-game suspensions for accepting improper benefits from a tattoo parlor. The NCAA is investigating coach Jim Tressel, also suspended for five games, for knowing about the benefits but not telling superiors.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6499662

05-07-2011 12:46 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Players' car deals new layer to OSU saga
May, 7, 2011

By Adam Rittenberg

Although the NCAA's Notice of Allegations to Ohio State last month brought more bad publicity for coach Jim Tressel and the program, it didn't contain much that the school didn't already know.

[Image: ncf_u_pryor_ps_400.jpg]
Greg Bartram/US Presswire
Terrelle Pryor is among the dozens of Ohio State players who have purchased used cars at two Columbus-area dealerships.

Ohio State's big fear throughout this process is that something else would come to light, another layer that could bring more trouble.

It might have just arrived.

The Columbus Dispatch reports Saturday that Ohio State will investigate used-car purchases made by dozens of Buckeyes players at two Columbus-area dealerships. According to the newspaper, the school investigation will examine at least 50 sales to both Ohio State players and their relatives to see if any improper benefits were provided.

Ohio State compliance director Doug Archie told The Dispatch, "I have nothing to believe a violation has occurred." Archie also said that he was aware of all the players' car purchases but not those made by their relatives.

NCAA rules don't prohibit athletes from shopping at the same stores, eating at the same restaurants or buying cars at the same dealerships. The rules prohibit athletes and their relatives from receiving discounts that are not offered to the general public.

Some nuggets from the story:

Both dealerships call Ohio State's compliance office when athletes are buying cars and provide purchase prices and loan information. Ohio State will occasionally check purchase prices against the Kelley Blue Book values.

Public records show that in 2009, a 2-year-old Chrysler 300 with less than 20,000 miles was titled to then-sophomore linebacker Thaddeus Gibson. Documents show the purchase price as $0. ... Gibson said he was unaware the title on his car showed zero as the sales price. "I paid for the car, and I'm still paying for it," he said, declining to answer further questions.

A salesman who worked at both dealerships, Aaron Kniffin, and one of the dealership owners, Jason Goss, attended seven football games as guests of players, including the 2007 BCS National Championship game and the 2009 Fiesta Bowl. After the 2008 season, Archie removed Kniffin from the players' guest list because Ohio State doesn't allow those who do business with the players to be on the list.

Two former NCAA enforcement officials, who spoke to The Dispatch on the condition of anonymity, said there's cause for concern. The two collectively have decades of NCAA compliance experience. Neither had ever heard of so many athletes buying cars from the same salesman.

Officials at two national car-valuation companies -- National Automobile Dealers Association and Kelley Blue Book -- were asked by The Dispatch to estimate the value of the cars at the time of purchase. The values they estimated were higher than the price paid in nearly half of the transactions. However, they said it's difficult to accurately evaluate the sales without seeing the vehicles to assess condition and options.

Among the players who bought cars from the dealerships are quarterback Terrelle Pryor, running back Dan Herron, wide receiver DeVier Posey, Buckeyes basketball player William Buford and former running back Chris Wells. Cars also have been sold to Pryor's mother and brother and Herron's father, and Pryor also received loaner cars from Kniffin.

Kniffin told The Dispatch that the sales prices for the cars were much higher than what is listed on state motor-vehicle records. Goss disputed that claim.

Kniffin, who said he is not an OSU fan, has had financial problems since 2006. He now owes more than $130,000 to the IRS, and his $570,000 Delaware County home is in foreclosure.

Kniffin told The Dispatch that he has sold cars to at least four dozen OSU athletes and their relatives, that the OSU compliance staff directed them to him, and that university officials reviewed all documents before sales were final. Archie said that he has spoken to Kniffin only once, never reviews sales documents and has not directed players to any dealerships.

There's a lot of smoke here for Ohio State at a very bad time. Archie plans to look at the transactions and work with the Big Ten during the investigation. But this could once again open things up to the NCAA, which recently has spent a lot of time in Columbus.

Some folks close to the Buckeyes program told me in March that players' cars could be the next issue, especially if the NCAA began digging. The Dispatch report has to be on the radar in Indianapolis, and it'll be interesting to see how this process unfolds.

Tressel isn't mentioned in The Dispatch report, but there will be questions asked about what he or other Buckeyes coaches knew of these transactions.

Sept. 3 feels like a long way off for the Scarlet and Gray.

http://espn.go.com/blog/BigTen/post/_/id...o-osu-saga

05-07-2011 12:49 PM
THE BearcatBrent Offline
Nancy WAS wrong.................

I Root For: who I want
Similar article - but from CBS.

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/collegefootb...-car-deals

Love the associate AD's comment.

"School officials have seen no evidence of players getting special treatment in vehicle sales, Douglas Archie, associate athletic director for compliance, said in a statement Saturday."

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2011 03:24 PM by THE BearcatBrent.)
05-07-2011 03:22 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
College athletes buying high priced cars is not rare at all. Many of them have quite a bit of left over housing money by rooming together and use that money to buy cars. I know that many UC basketball players over the years have driven cars that would make people question where they got them at first glance.

05-07-2011 07:00 PM
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-07-2011 07:00 PM)subflea Wrote:  College athletes buying high priced cars is not rare at all. Many of them have quite a bit of left over housing money by rooming together and use that money to buy cars. I know that many UC basketball players over the years have driven cars that would make people question where they got them at first glance.

That and some of them are banking on big money down the road too! Not having to pay tuition is a sweet deal that they don't mention enough as a benefit for college athletes!

05-08-2011 11:42 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Keep it classy O$U....and don't sweat it. The ncaa will make sure akron, BGSU, Toledo etc pay for this outrage! doooosh bag school

05-08-2011 05:13 PM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
[Image: cargate_columbus_medium_thumb.gif]

05-09-2011 04:02 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
OSU's Tressel to attend Tampa NCAA seminar
11:46 PM, May. 8, 2011

Written by
Rusty Miller
Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio – As part of his punishment for not revealing his knowledge of his players’ NCAA violations, Ohio State coach Jim Tressel will attend a five-day compliance seminar in June in Tampa, Fla.

Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch confirmed that Tressel would take part in the NCAA-sponsored event June 6-10 at a resort hotel on the waterfront.
One of the topics of the compliance seminar – one of two put on by the NCAA this summer – is “Division I Major Infractions.”

Ohio State’s director of compliance is reviewing at least 50 car sales to Buckeyes athletes and relatives to see if they met NCAA rules, the Columbus Dispatch reported Saturday.

Tressel was notified in April 2010 via emails from a Buckeyes fan and former player that Ohio State players were trading signed jerseys and other memorabilia to a Columbus tattoo parlor owner for cash and reduced-price tattoos. Even though his contract and NCAA rules required him to notify athletic director Gene Smith, Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee or the university’s compliance department, Tressel did not do that.

It was not until more than nine months passed – and five players including quarterback Terrelle Pryor had been suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season – that Ohio State officials discovered the emails and confronted Tressel. He finally admitted he knew of the players getting improper benefits.

Tressel was originally suspended for two games – later extended to the first five games this fall to match the punishment of the five players – and was fined $250,000, required to make a public apology and receive a public reprimand and to attend an NCAA compliance seminar.

The NCAA is still investigating the actions of the 10-year coach of the Buckeyes. Ohio State and Tressel are scheduled to appear before the NCAA’s committee on infractions Aug. 12.

The Dispatch reported that a car salesman who received game passes from Ohio State athletes handled many of the deals at two different dealerships. Ohio State has since taken the salesman, Aaron Kniffin, off the pass list.

Athletes are prevented from receiving special deals not available to other students. They are not permitted to trade autographs for discounts. Both dealerships display signed Ohio State memorabilia in their showrooms.

One car, a 2-year-old Chrysler 300 with fewer than 20,000 miles, was titled to then-sophomore defensive player Thaddeus Gibson in 2009. Documents show the purchase price as $0. Gibson said he did not know why the title showed a zero for the purchase price and said he was still paying for the car.

State law requires dealers to report accurate information about all car sales for tax purposes.

School officials have seen no evidence of players getting special treatment in vehicle sales, Douglas Archie, associate athletic director for compliance, said in a statement Saturday.

“Consistent with our standard procedures, we are nevertheless reviewing these sales to assure ourselves that our policies were adhered to,” he said.

Pryor’s mother and brother also purchased cars from the dealerships. Kniffin loaned his own car to Pryor for a three-day test drive to Pryor’s home in Jeannette, Pa.

Kniffin and the owner of one of the dealerships he worked for, Jason Goss, have attended seven football games as guests of players, including the 2007 national championship game and the 2009 Fiesta Bowl.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110...ext|Sports

05-09-2011 05:52 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
Tressel is in so much trouble that they're going to send him on a vacation to Tampa? Bet he is really scared now!

05-10-2011 06:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.