Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
WVU future schedules
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
WVU future schedules
UVA & MD are no-brainers for OOC opponents, but I'd prefer to avoid C-USA matchups. They do nothing for WVU.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/200807030081

Mountaineers' football future keeps Terps, ECU, may add Virginia
By Jack Bogaczyk
Daily Mail Sports Editor
Albert Einstein said, "I never think of the future -- it comes soon enough."

With apologies to Big Al, he didn't need a column. So, today let's look at West Virginia University's football schedules of tomorrow.

This isn't about what's already there (Florida State, Michigan State, Marshall), but instead it's what hasn't been announced, or what might be done in the coming months.

A flurry of phone calls across state lines to schools and conferences has yielded some intriguing potential opponents for the Mountaineers' schedule. There are even a couple of done deals, I'm told.

New Coach Bill Stewart said back in April that he'd like more of a regional slant on the WVU non-conference schedules. The possibilities of making that happen -- while still having a quality schedule -- are real.

First, a primer on what WVU has announced:

The 2009 schedule is done -- Colorado, East Carolina, Marshall and Liberty in Morgantown, and road-tripping to Auburn. WVU has Maryland and Michigan State at home in 2010 and visits Marshall, so two vacancies exist.

In 2011, the Herd plays at Mountaineer Field and goes to Maryland and Michigan State. The 2012 schedule has Marshall (ending the original Coal Bowl series) and Florida State at home, and WVU visits the Seminoles in 2013.

That's that. So, what's next?

Maryland

The two-game break the Terps requested from a longtime series with WVU to play California this season and next will be replaced.

Maryland Athletic Director Debbie Yow confirmed that there's an agreement for games at College Park in 2012 and in Morgantown in 2013 ... but no dates beyond that.

"I think we're just fine where we are," Yow said from her College Park campus office. "2013 is five years away. We have other issues here that are more pressing. We're not at a place right now to go past that ... I'm sure we'll talk again down the road."

Virginia

This one could be really attractive, and not just because the teams are within driving distance of each other and share about a 400-mile border (from the Mountain State's Jefferson to Mingo counties).

The 'Eers and Wahoos haven't met in the regular season since 1985, but Virginia left WVU deflated in the 2002 Continental Tire Bowl. It's also the kind of game Stewart wants to play.

Since former rivals Virginia Tech and Penn State won't play WVU anymore and who knows if the Terps will continue beyond 2013, the Cavaliers are a logical West Virginia foe.

"I'd say we very much would want to play Virginia, no question," WVU Athletic Director Ed Pastilong said. "It would be great for the fans of both teams and a very competitive game."

(Hey, and it might also would give Virginia defensive coordinator Bob Pruett another crack at his native state foil, something he couldn't get at Marshall.)

Anyway, WVU and Virginia are talking a four-game series that could start as soon as 2010 or as late at 2012. If the teams can't make the home-and-home breakdown work out, they could start and end the four-game set with neutral site games at 91,700-seat FedEx Field in Landover, Md.

That plan would put the FedEx games in 2010 and 2016, with games in Charlottesville and Morgantown, respectively, in 2014 and 2015.

A 2011-2013 break in the series would allow WVU to finish its Michigan State, Maryland and FSU home-and-homes, too.

East Carolina

A few weeks ago, we reported that ECU AD Terry Holland said two schools were talking future dates, but the series would take a break after 2009 because both teams (primarily the Pirates) had little working room among ambitious schedules that include South Carolina, N.C. State, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Navy.

Now, there's this. The WVU-ECU series interrupts after 2009 but is penciled in to resume by at least 2013, or perhaps sooner if both teams have an available date.

Sources say six games are agreed upon, as a home-and-home alternating from 2013-18 between Morgantown (odd years) and Greenville, N.C.

Coastal Carolina

The Chanticleers seem to be really stepping up. The Big South Conference member in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) program plays Penn State this season, Clemson next season and Georgia in 2011.

A season opener at WVU in 2010 also is a strong possibility (that would give WVU seven home games, which is what the Mountaineers want, even if a potential Virginia date goes to the NFL Redskins' home).

Stewart has said he likes future I-AA games against Virginia teams, because WVU is heavily recruiting the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area.

Hampton might make sense, especially since the Pirates are coached by former WVU defensive back Jerry Holmes, with ex-Mountaineer All-America linebacker Canute Curtis and receiver Milo Austin on the HU staff.

Conference USA teams

Sources say West Virginia has talked with at least two of Marshall's league brethren (besides ECU) in Central Florida and Southern Mississippi. The UCF possibility is much more likely on WVU's docket (2011 and '12 or 2012 and '13, perhaps?).

As for the Herd and WVU continuing the Coal Bowl after 2012, Pastilong said the seven-year series Gov. Joe Manchin helped push through the rapids isn't getting an extension ... yet.

"There's nothing beyond what we already have in the existing contract," Pastilong said. "For the time being, we're going to leave it as such."

--Contact Sports Editor Jack Bogaczyk at ja...@dailymail.com or 348-7949
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2008 06:36 AM by MichaelSavage.)
07-03-2008 06:36 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
RE: WVU future schedules
Wow, lots of good stuff in that article

-- I find it really interesting that WVU/UVA are working on the plan that WVU/Va Tech came up with concerning playing a few games in DC (looked like it was going to happen to until governor Manchin got his Marshall itch). There's not a doubt in my mind that a WVU/UVA game would sell out in DC

-- I wonder if at least one of ECUs home games will be in Charlotte? Isn't that in the deal ECU has with Va Tech now?

-- Pastilong is leaving and there is already talk of WVU and UCF playing again....so much for hard feelings

-- Penn St turns WVU down again. PSU has played BC and will play Syracuse, I wonder why they will not play West Virginia?

Jackson
07-03-2008 07:18 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Jackson1011 Wrote:Penn St turns WVU down again. PSU has played BC and will play Syracuse, I wonder why they will not play West Virginia?
Maybe the taste of Major's 27-yd TD run on the busted play that ended WVU's first series in '88 still lingers in Paterno's mouth... 05-stirthepot
07-03-2008 07:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I'm concerned that future chedules may be taking a step back. I like playing schools like Auburn and Colorado. It appears that may be a thing of the past with the new regime.
07-03-2008 07:30 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
they are a 'non eastern, national program ' that just happens to play football in the B10
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2008 07:34 AM by TIGER-PAUL.)
07-03-2008 07:33 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
I think the Colorado game has more to do with circumstances...WVU would have rather played Maryland, UVA or Va Tech because of recruiting...UMD forced our hand in that particular case...If you look closely, I think you'll agree that WVUs recruiting base is moving away from Western Pa and towards DC/Tidewater VA, hence games trying to get games with ECU, UVA, UMD etc

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2008 07:34 AM by Jackson1011.)
07-03-2008 07:34 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
WVU will get skill position players out of western PA. We aren't concentrating on that area as heavily now. But players are still coming in...
07-03-2008 07:37 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
TIGER-PAUL Wrote:they are a 'non eastern, national program ' that just happens to play football in the B10

03-lmfao how could I forget? I find it odd that WVU can get home and homes with Auburn and FSU but not a school 300 miles up the road that we have been playing since...forever....it strikes me as being strange

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2008 07:38 AM by Jackson1011.)
07-03-2008 07:37 AM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies
Glad to see the ECU/WVU series continuing.....04-cheers
07-03-2008 07:47 AM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
Jackson, It's interesting you mention West Virginia recruiting the Tidewater area of Virginia. I got into a debate on a VaTech board on how ECU would hurt VaTech in recruiting the Tidewater area if ECU ever became a member of the Big East. I said that with ECU's football first attitude & it's proximinity to the area, being a member of a BCS conference was the only think holding ECU back from getting top recruits. They basically said that the Big East wasn't attractive enough of a conference for most recruits. They said that the top recruits in that area would rather go to an ACC school than a Big East school.

A lot of people have said that it was important for the Big East to have a Florida school for recruiting purposes. I think, to a lesser degree, that ECU could help Big East schools recruit the Tidewater area as well as North Carolina due to ECU's location.
07-03-2008 08:20 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Sure do seem like a lot of ACC teams in the future.
07-03-2008 09:08 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Jackson1011 Wrote:Wow, lots of good stuff in that article

-- I find it really interesting that WVU/UVA are working on the plan that WVU/Va Tech came up with concerning playing a few games in DC (looked like it was going to happen to until governor Manchin got his Marshall itch). There's not a doubt in my mind that a WVU/UVA game would sell out in DC

-- Pastilong is leaving and there is already talk of WVU and UCF playing again....so much for hard feelings

Jackson

I am not suprised by the UCF thing.. There was talk about a year ago that UCF was talking with WV about scheduling .. there is no reason for UCF not to want to make things better with WV.
07-03-2008 09:25 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
XLance Wrote:Sure do seem like a lot of ACC teams in the future.

Well they are the closest BCS conference to Big East and because of their smaller stadiums than Big10 and SEC more willing to sign 1-1 deals.
07-03-2008 09:28 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
MichaelSavage Wrote:UVA & MD are no-brainers for OOC opponents, but I'd prefer to avoid C-USA matchups. They do nothing for WVU.
With five out of conference games, I don’t see you guys as having too much of a choice in the matter.
07-03-2008 09:36 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Brick City Pirate Wrote:Jackson, It's interesting you mention West Virginia recruiting the Tidewater area of Virginia. I got into a debate on a VaTech board on how ECU would hurt VaTech in recruiting the Tidewater area if ECU ever became a member of the Big East. I said that with ECU's football first attitude & it's proximinity to the area, being a member of a BCS conference was the only think holding ECU back from getting top recruits. They basically said that the Big East wasn't attractive enough of a conference for most recruits. They said that the top recruits in that area would rather go to an ACC school than a Big East school.

A lot of people have said that it was important for the Big East to have a Florida school for recruiting purposes. I think, to a lesser degree, that ECU could help Big East schools recruit the Tidewater area as well as North Carolina due to ECU's location.

LOL..Tech fans...It occurs to me that Va Tech recruited Va fine when they were in the Big East. The 1999 VT team, which is there greatest team ever, was filled with good VA players who didn't go to the ACC

Anyway, here is an article about WVUs recruiting in the area:
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/06/beat-goe...ach-beatty

Va Tech doesn't have many scholis to give this year, but we have been taking a lot of kids from UVA and Maryland

Jackson
07-03-2008 09:55 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Capital Pirate Wrote:Glad to see the ECU/WVU series continuing.....04-cheers

-- Me too...Outside of the BE, I don't think there is a school we have a better relationship with then ECU, and frankly this series meets a lot of needs for both parties

I would like to see one game in Charlotte, which again I think would benefit both schools

Jackson
07-03-2008 10:21 AM
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

Jackson1011 Wrote:

-- Me too...Outside of the BE, I don't think there is a school we have a better relationship with then ECU, and frankly this series meets a lot of needs for both parties

I would like to see one game in Charlotte, which again I think would benefit both schools

Jackson

When did this become a home-and home series?
07-03-2008 10:22 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
MichaelSavage Wrote:I'm concerned that future chedules may be taking a step back. I like playing schools like Auburn and Colorado. It appears that may be a thing of the past with the new regime.

You are correct. That is why a split has to happen. We have to get one or two more schools into the Big East to reduce the number of OCC games needed ever year. Schools like Auburn and Colorado are throwing big bucks at the Buffalos of the college football world and buying home games. The more successful WVU is the less likely the SEC or Big 11 is going to want to schedule them. The ACC has to schedule the Big East. Well at least some of the Big East, Georgia Tech and Duke both ran and hid from Louisville...LOL. The ACC has to play the Big East because they have to prove to college football fans that they are a better conference than the one they tried to kill.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2008 10:59 AM by CardinalJim.)
07-03-2008 10:59 AM
Topcard91 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU Pirates
Jackson1011 Wrote:Wow, lots of good stuff in that article

-- I wonder if at least one of ECUs home games will be in Charlotte? Isn't that in the deal ECU has with Va Tech now?

-- Penn St turns WVU down again. PSU has played BC and will play Syracuse, I wonder why they will not play West Virginia?

Jackson

ECU has a 9 game deal with Va Tech with the odd game being in Charlotte.

I really enjoy the Charlotte game every 3 years or so. We have Va Tech there this year and South Carolina there twice over the next 10 years or so. The "East-West Showdown" with WVU in Charlotte was great. Especially since that was one of the few games we won.
07-03-2008 11:26 AM
Topcard91 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU Pirates
MichaelSavage Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson

When did this become a home-and home series?

The last 4 game contract was home/home. That contract ends in 2009.
07-03-2008 11:28 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.