Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The ONLY way to make it in this world..............
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
The ONLY way to make it in this world..............
IS ON YOUR OWN with the help of the internet. Have you guys noticed ABK and MBI these last two days!!! The internet has allowed me to research stocks and this will have a direct effect on family for generations to come. It should be reading, writing, arithmetic, and learning puts and calls on option trading. I made 3700 dollars in 1 day. I sold 67% of my holdings yesterday. That is cash in hand. Two days ago I had a 3000 dollar swing in less than 20 minutes. I went from 2 down to 1 up. Where can the avergae person make money like that. I have seen the light my brothers. I watch CNBC at night. I find myself nodding along with Kudlow when he attacks Democrats for their attacks against the successful people in our society. I'll always put the environment 1st and the social conservatives are somewhat wacko in my mind, but I'm changing. Wasn't that a Beetles song?
02-26-2008 10:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

RE: The ONLY way to make it in this world..............
Here's a couple of things I have learned:

In a Bear Market sell the rallies.

Likewise in a bull buy the dips.

Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered.

Rule # 1, first and foremost. Never lose money. I have a mental stop on all my positions. Never put a stop losss out there because once it's posted it can be pushed down and pretty much stolen.

Rule # 2. Be proud of yourself. You've researched and are making a difference for your family.

That is all. Discuss
02-26-2008 10:18 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
I could make a pretty good counter argument that you can make a handsome living in a big hurry as a cutthroat CEO who doesn't care what must be done to inflate the bottom line.
02-26-2008 10:36 AM
Machiavelli Offline

True,

Research Bill Ackman. Capitalism needs regulation. I'm convinced this Charle Gasparino is crooked. He comes out against the monolines in the morning, about 15 minutes before he releases the Ambak rescue plan the stock jumps 20% after his announcement it jumps 2 dollars more. There was some DEFINITE Gordon Gecko moves last Friday. I mentioned the environment 1st and foremost above. Look at what that beef producer did. BTW, whose beef I have ate at school many times over. Those cows could of had the prion Mad Cow. Ever hear of the Jacob Kreutzfeld disease?. A host of issues. Where in the hell was the FDA? That's the biggest problem right now with the curent crop of Republican's. If you hate govt. How in the hell do you plan to govern? You need regulation. You need laws, but some of the class warfare from the D's in my mind is concerning. I'm for empowering people. If you can work, you should. If you can't afford to have kids, you shouldn't. I digress. Where's the party that believes in the market, a fair tax, a solution to importing oil, respects the environment, along with respectin' my civil liberties and keeping my private life private. Neither party meets my agenda anymore. I still lean D, but there's one plank of the Republican party that speaks to me.
02-26-2008 11:12 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Machiavelli Wrote:IS ON YOUR OWN with the help of the internet. Have you guys noticed ABK and MBI these last two days!!! The internet has allowed me to research stocks and this will have a direct effect on family for generations to come. It should be reading, writing, arithmetic, and learning puts and calls on option trading. I made 3700 dollars in 1 day. I sold 67% of my holdings yesterday. That is cash in hand. Two days ago I had a 3000 dollar swing in less than 20 minutes. I went from 2 down to 1 up. Where can the avergae person make money like that. I have seen the light my brothers. I watch CNBC at night. I find myself nodding along with Kudlow when he attacks Democrats for their attacks against the successful people in our society. I'll always put the environment 1st and the social conservatives are somewhat wacko in my mind, but I'm changing. Wasn't that a Beetles song?

there is one problem with the internet for this stuff, not legitimate news so much but the stock message boards. The Short sellers are pumping negative stories and the Longs positive, hard to know if they are being sincere or alternative motives. the pink sheet penny stocks are were the most corruption is.

bear markets and when people are freaking out are the best times to buy in. buy low, sell high. Remember the Dow got down to 6800 in Oct. 2002..

abk has been perfect for daytraders...I only have 100 shares, wish I had a 1000 and had paid attention a month ago when it was $5 bucks. Should be a 20 plus stock again soon I think.
02-26-2008 12:34 PM
Machiavelli Offline

i'm in mbi. I think it's the better company.
02-26-2008 12:55 PM
Advertisement

ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Machiavelli Wrote:IS ON YOUR OWN with the help of the internet. Have you guys noticed ABK and MBI these last two days!!! The internet has allowed me to research stocks and this will have a direct effect on family for generations to come. It should be reading, writing, arithmetic, and learning puts and calls on option trading. I made 3700 dollars in 1 day. I sold 67% of my holdings yesterday. That is cash in hand. Two days ago I had a 3000 dollar swing in less than 20 minutes. I went from 2 down to 1 up. Where can the avergae person make money like that. I have seen the light my brothers. I watch CNBC at night. I find myself nodding along with Kudlow when he attacks Democrats for their attacks against the successful people in our society. I'll always put the environment 1st and the social conservatives are somewhat wacko in my mind, but I'm changing. Wasn't that a Beetles song?

Welcome to the party Machiavelli 04-cheers I agree with you on changing the curriculum of our schools. Not that we want everybody to be a blood thirsty capitalist but the fact we do not teach our kids the basics of investment and credit growing up is pathetic. I always tell kids coming out of school, suck it up and invest 2k+ per year and when you retire you can use your social security check for green fees and bar tabs.

I also watch CNBC religiously along with Bloomberg and every other program I can watch. The beauty of investing is I throw politics aside and listen to pundents on the left and right because both sides have talented people and the market calls for different logic at different times.

Jack Welch has been a cohost recently on CNBC and if you want a good read his book Execution should be on the list.
02-26-2008 12:57 PM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Fox's new business channel is pretty good, has alot of potential. They gave Dave Ramsey a show, which he's good for the avg. joe. I like Cavuto also and david Asman is good. And of course Rebecca Gomez is some nice eye candy and they got Liz Clayman from CNBC.
02-26-2008 01:05 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
Machiavelli Wrote:Likewise in a bull buy the dips.
Why would you want to buy RebelKev and Herd fan? Granted they aren't worth a whole heck of a lot, but I can't see much of an upside.
02-26-2008 02:08 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
3700 will change your family for generations to come? Do you live in one of those Sally Struthers villages.
02-26-2008 03:36 PM
Machiavelli Offline

3700 in a day. I don't know what your lifestyle is, but that supplements my family quite well. Hell if I could do that once a month, I'd be happy. My goal is to do that 1/4.
02-26-2008 04:00 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I've played around with options a bit. One academic book I read on it implied that the only way to make money in options is if you can determine which calls and puts are underpriced if you're buying, or overpriced if you're selling. (Of course the author and his co-author had their own proprietary formula to determine that). Which of course requires an analysis of the volatility of the stock as much as anything else. And of course you still have to cover the larger bid-ask spread that options tend to have vs. stocks.

If I had inside information, or just some special insight on a stock, then options would be the way to go since they're so leveraged. Very hard to make money on them in the long run though, IMHO.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2008 05:32 PM by NIU007.)
02-26-2008 05:30 PM
Machiavelli Offline

I like volatile stocks. Buy when the blood is in the streets, sell on the rallies. I know that sounds overly simplistic, but when I was on here last week telling people to buy Ambac in the 8's. It's at twelve dollars right now. That's 33% in ONE week. I'm so glad I have educated myself on this. I'm playing with the house's money. I like to buy a thousand on dips sell 50 cents later. I doubled down on MBI and quadroupled down on ABK last week. I'm stickin with 1000 shares of MBI. I've sold 67% of everything else. If it goes sour, I'll dbl down again. I have a limit sell in tommorrow at 15.50. If it hits that's another 500 dollars. I have a great thing going with Cedar Fair (FUN) that nets me at least 2000 dollars a quarter for 6 quarters straight. It's almost like stealing money. I really feel guilty sometimes. I wish I could go back to 1989 and talk to this cocky kid going to college. I wouldn't be the Bifmeister giving the sports almanac, but I might mention a Cisco.
02-26-2008 07:49 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Start early in your first job...10% or more out of every paycheck in a good mutual fund..(dollar cost averaging allows you to buy into the market more often down.. than up)...It aint rocket science...You will retire early without risk...Ive been doing it all my working career...retirement at 55 is the goal.07-coffee3
02-26-2008 07:51 PM
Machiavelli Offline

I mentioned MOS Mosaic. I bought 20 shares last week at 100ish. It hit 119 yesterday. Here's another one in the same sector. They sell Potash. It's the main ingredient in fertilizers. CAA.V It's a Canadian firm. MagIndustries, Mosaic is really the only player in the Potash market in N. America. Well Mag just opened up the largest Potash facility in Africa. I got in at 2.22 Canadian today. I bought 300 shares. Commodities right now boy's. Buy into foreign firms that sell commodities. It's a great buffer against our sliding dollar and an excellent hedge against inflation. I hope other people can share ideas on here. Let's all get rich together. Put 25,000 away that you can play with. I bet we can double it within a year. Let's start up a spin room investment skunk works
02-26-2008 08:00 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Quote:Not that we want everybody to be a blood thirsty capitalist but the fact we do not teach our kids the basics of investment and credit growing up is pathetic.

The fact that kids get tied up in credit cards to me is sickening. I have to tell you. My Mom and Dad instilled that into me at an early age. The evils of plastic. You do not.... I repeat do not carry a balance on a credit card. I didn't own a credit card until a year after my first job. I have never carried a balance. It would be like desecrating my father's grave. I'm serious about that too. My dad hated plastic.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2008 08:07 PM by Machiavelli.)
02-26-2008 08:06 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
Machiavelli Wrote:I mentioned MOS Mosaic. I bought 20 shares last week at 100ish. It hit 119 yesterday. Here's another one in the same sector. They sell Potash. It's the main ingredient in fertilizers. CAA.V It's a Canadian firm. MagIndustries, Mosaic is really the only player in the Potash market in N. America. Well Mag just opened up the largest Potash facility in Africa. I got in at 2.22 Canadian today. I bought 300 shares. Commodities right now boy's. Buy into foreign firms that sell commodities. It's a great buffer against our sliding dollar and an excellent hedge against inflation. I hope other people can share ideas on here. Let's all get rich together. Put 25,000 away that you can play with. I bet we can double it within a year. Let's start up a spin room investment skunk works

i've got about 27 grand to play with, i wouldn't mind making some of those returns.
02-26-2008 08:13 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Well.

Get a scottrade acct. an let's go kick a**
02-26-2008 08:35 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Put in a limit buy of 500 share of MBI at 14.50. Put in a limit buy of 500 shares of ABK at 11.00. Purchase 300 shares of CAA.V. I think MOS is too hot right now. Let it cool off some steam. Put in a 20 share buy at 105. Next down day let's look at Monsato and John Deere.

I want a good energy play. That's your homework assignment.

Rail and Coal.
02-26-2008 08:39 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Let's find a foreign gold producer.
02-26-2008 08:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.