Thread Closed 
Quick blurb by Tranghese about Big East expansion
CatsClaw1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
Quick blurb by Tranghese about Big East expansion
In the University of Cincinnati student paper:

http://media.www.newsrecord.org/media/st...3353.shtml

Q: Is there any thought to adding one more football team to the Big East?

MT: "I think our directors would like to add one more football team but I don't think there's much support for it because I don't think there's a team out there that can make our league better. Plus, people will tread softly because we are 16 [teams] in all other sports and going to 17 is a huge logistical problem when you get to basketball, huge problem."

Also, when someone brought up a championship game, he mentioned that the Big East would have to expand to 20 to get that game. That tells me that in order for the Big East to split, Tranghese has to be gone.
11-08-2007 12:10 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Smokin Pirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: Quick blurb by Tranghese about Big East expansion
MT is a basketball man and will always be that. He's going to look after the BB side of things first and foremost. It's sad that the FB schools have to help finance the BB only schools but that's MT at his best.
11-08-2007 07:51 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The BE is what it will be for the next 4 or 5 years.. The prez will do nothing before 2013 when the tv deal is done.. MT.. job is secure till he wants to leave..03-cloud9
11-08-2007 08:51 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Smokin Pirate Wrote:MT is a basketball man and will always be that. He's going to look after the BB side of things first and foremost. It's sad that the FB schools have to help finance the BB only schools but that's MT at his best.
The football schools aren't financing the basketball schools. They do that themselves, since they don't share in any of the football revenue.
11-08-2007 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Poor Wilkie. I hope he doesn't see this. This news just might kill him. Gosh, what are we going to do without his weekly expansion thread?
11-08-2007 09:41 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Wilkie isn't the main perpetrator. That role is reserved for our CUSA trolls, who are currently laying low after recent serious beat-downs.
11-08-2007 10:10 AM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Tranghese will surrender his 16-school basketball-dominated monstrosity when it is pried from his cold, dead fingers.
11-08-2007 12:30 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
I told everybody that the Big East will not expand for a long time. The basketball schools will not allow another member.
11-08-2007 12:35 PM
TegaCayCard Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisville
Also interesting, UL suing Duke for cancelling 3 out of 4 games in a contract after trying to find replacements. It will come to head at some point...basketball schools missing the tourney and football teams unable to fill 12 game schedules.

courier-journal.com > Local News

Thursday, November 8, 2007 E-mail this | Print page

UPDATED: 10:48 AM
Louisville suing Duke after cancelling scheduled basketball games
By Jason Riley
jriley@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

The University of Louisville has filed a lawsuit against Duke University claiming the schools had agreed to play each other four times in football between 2002 and 2009 but that Duke canceled the last three games, costing U of L money and a quality opponent.

According to the suit, which was filed in Franklin Circuit Court, in 2003 Duke backed out of three games — two to be played in Louisville — scheduled for this year, 2008 and 2009.

The lawsuit did not say why Duke decided to cancel the agreement. A call to Duke’s athletic department was not immediately returned. A call to U of L’s athletic department did not issue an immediate response.

Louisville requested $150,000 for each of the three games or a suitable replacement team from the Atlantic Coast Conference, of which Duke is a member.

But Duke, according to the suit, asked U of L to find its own replacement, and agreed to pay Louisville only if the program could not, after a “good faith” effort, find a replacement game.

The suit claims U of L was unable to find a team of “similar stature” to Duke and is now short an out of conference game for next season and “was forced” to replace Duke with Indiana State, which is not a member of the Football Bowl Division, for 2009.

Louisville claims its athletic department has spent countless hours looking for a replacement for Duke but that no team of similar stature will agree to play the U of L at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium two of the three games, as Duke was supposed to do.

The lawsuit is seeking $450,000 for the three football games and any other relief the courts deem appropriate.

Claims made in filing a lawsuit present only one side of the case.

The Sept. 7, 2002, game between the two schools was played with U of L winning 40-3.

For more on this story, read tomorrow's Courier-Journal.

Reporter Jason Riley can be reached at (502) 582-4727.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs...1/71108013
11-08-2007 12:47 PM
Smokin Pirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Bitcruncher indicated that "The football schools aren't financing the basketball schools. They do that themselves, since they don't share in any of the football revenue." Does anyone have a breakdown as to how the revenue is distributed in the BE? Wasn't that one of Miami's concerns when they decided to leave? Just interested and not trying to flame or piss any one off.

As for trolling on entrance to the BE. I'm not doing that either. We either get in or we don't. I have my feelings and thoughts but will keep them as such and not express them too much with others. Best of luck to each FB team in the BE.
11-08-2007 12:49 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Smoke, there are only one or two ECU posters, who like to run down UC and/or USF every chance they get, that I can do without. Strangely, I haven't seen them this season 03-lmfao But the rest of the Pirate nation is more than welcome here as far as I'm concerned.

As for Miami, I believe they didn't like the "hybrid" thing, and I think they resented the special treatment of ND. Of course, it might be just an excuse to mask their high travel costs. Maybe a lot of the long-timers can answer more completely than I can.
11-08-2007 01:06 PM
Advertisement

LUVECU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
Yeah - I read that same thing a while back. Wooopppettty do.

Wake me up when the computer tells everyone what bowl they are going to!!! 04-rock
11-08-2007 01:14 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
Smokin Pirate Wrote:MT is a basketball man and will always be that. He's going to look after the BB side of things first and foremost. It's sad that the FB schools have to help finance the BB only schools but that's MT at his best.

This league has two identities; it seems to be working. I personally don't like it. I would rather have one brand.
11-08-2007 01:22 PM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Can't find a “similar stature” to Duke team? Did they check Div. III? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
11-08-2007 01:22 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
bitcruncher Wrote:
The football schools aren't financing the basketball schools. They do that themselves, since they don't share in any of the football revenue.

Interesting look at Basketball vs Football Revenue and the "per share" each school gets:

On the football side, arguably, the Big East managed to do okay in the short term. Especially considering they had to drop to eight teams -- and lacked marquee names.

The basketball side, however, may reveal a bigger problem.

In the last reporting period, Big East basketball took in $34,492,992. Split 16 ways, the average take was $2,155,812. Big East football, meanwhile, took in $28,400,000. Split eight ways, that average take was $3,550,000. The difference was a mere $1,394,188.

Sixteen teams makes the split much smaller. Even with the Big East's latest TV deal that begins next year, the basketball side of things would seem to have too many hands in the jar to create significant revenue increases per member school. That means the relative take for each school remains fairly flat.

Big East finances reveal rocky times of late
http://sundaygazettemail.com/webtools/pr...2007052621
11-08-2007 01:35 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
KnightLight Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:

Interesting look at Basketball vs Football Revenue and the "per share" each school gets:

On the football side, arguably, the Big East managed to do okay in the short term. Especially considering they had to drop to eight teams -- and lacked marquee names.

The basketball side, however, may reveal a bigger problem.

In the last reporting period, Big East basketball took in $34,492,992. Split 16 ways, the average take was $2,155,812. Big East football, meanwhile, took in $28,400,000. Split eight ways, that average take was $3,550,000. The difference was a mere $1,394,188.

Sixteen teams makes the split much smaller. Even with the Big East's latest TV deal that begins next year, the basketball side of things would seem to have too many hands in the jar to create significant revenue increases per member school. That means the relative take for each school remains fairly flat.

Big East finances reveal rocky times of late
http://sundaygazettemail.com/webtools/pr...2007052621
I think the writer of the article messed up the quote on a "mere $1,394,188." Actually the FB school revenue was $3,550,000 plus $2,155,812 they all got for BB.
I know this because earlier in the piece the writer said "...for the tax year ending June 30, 2006, the Big East awarded its eight full members an average of $5,842,599."

NOw that our FB is quality lets see some money BE!
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2007 02:03 PM by frogman.)
11-08-2007 02:02 PM
Advertisement

Topcard91 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU Pirates
TegaCayCard Wrote:Also interesting, UL suing Duke for cancelling 3 out of 4 games in a contract after trying to find replacements. It will come to head at some point...basketball schools missing the tourney and football teams unable to fill 12 game schedules.

courier-journal.com > Local News

Thursday, November 8, 2007 E-mail this | Print page

UPDATED: 10:48 AM
Louisville suing Duke after cancelling scheduled basketball games
By Jason Riley
jriley@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

The University of Louisville has filed a lawsuit against Duke University claiming the schools had agreed to play each other four times in football between 2002 and 2009 but that Duke canceled the last three games, costing U of L money and a quality opponent.

According to the suit, which was filed in Franklin Circuit Court, in 2003 Duke backed out of three games — two to be played in Louisville — scheduled for this year, 2008 and 2009.

The lawsuit did not say why Duke decided to cancel the agreement. A call to Duke’s athletic department was not immediately returned. A call to U of L’s athletic department did not issue an immediate response.

Louisville requested $150,000 for each of the three games or a suitable replacement team from the Atlantic Coast Conference, of which Duke is a member.

But Duke, according to the suit, asked U of L to find its own replacement, and agreed to pay Louisville only if the program could not, after a “good faith” effort, find a replacement game.

The suit claims U of L was unable to find a team of “similar stature” to Duke and is now short an out of conference game for next season and “was forced” to replace Duke with Indiana State, which is not a member of the Football Bowl Division, for 2009.

Louisville claims its athletic department has spent countless hours looking for a replacement for Duke but that no team of similar stature will agree to play the U of L at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium two of the three games, as Duke was supposed to do.

The lawsuit is seeking $450,000 for the three football games and any other relief the courts deem appropriate.

Claims made in filing a lawsuit present only one side of the case.

The Sept. 7, 2002, game between the two schools was played with U of L winning 40-3.

For more on this story, read tomorrow's Courier-Journal.

Reporter Jason Riley can be reached at (502) 582-4727.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs...1/71108013

Duke has no "status" in football. They are a laughing stock. I would hope the powers that be at UL realized they did not just have to replace 3 dates. They could have tried to enter into a 4 (or more) year deal with some team and get 2 home/2 away.

Maybe they just wanted to stick it to Duke. Which I completely understand.
11-08-2007 02:21 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Mike Tranghese did not say anything in that interview which is not true at this point in time. People seem to keep forgetting that it is his job to put up a united front and tell the world that everything is perfect in the Big East Conference. Not doing this would be a real reason to call for his dismissal.

I personally think, and have communicated to him, that the best way to keep the hybrid together, if that is really the long term goal, is to expand to 18 with one more football member and one more basketball member but he never mentions this idea because everyone gets hung up on the number.
11-08-2007 03:00 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
If we drop ND and take on, say Temple, we will have successfully added another FB team and remained at 16. The BB schools can't really think ND is a BB-only school anyways and ND will hardly vote the BE BB interest. They have always had their own agenda.
The key is to dump ND.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2007 05:08 PM by frogman.)
11-08-2007 05:05 PM
chrisRU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, NJIT
If Temple wanted to leave the A-10 to become a full Big East member, why didn't they do that in the 90's? I would think the Big East would not mind having Temple on their BB roster.

So, I was under the impression Temple was happy playing BB in the A-10. Is this not correct?

BTW, if Temple replaced ND and was a full member, it would throw the conference out of BB/FB balance, which seems to be something that is key to the BB schools since the BE reorganized.
11-08-2007 05:17 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.