Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Alabama is IN, Ohio State is OUT !!!
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: Alabama is IN, Ohio State is OUT !!!
(12-03-2017 09:15 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 08:01 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 05:49 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  So, we still don't know what it is exactly that leads the committee to do whatever it does.

It's great for creating drama around the sport, but little else.

We ought to just get rid of the committee and go back to the computers.

Agree 100%, at least then you know what you have to do to get in. The Pairwise in college hockey is transparent and leaves no room for monkey business like we have now.

I think the BCS system for rankings was actually the optimum--the polls reflect the human element, popular opinion about the best teams, the computers made an attempt at an objective evaluation. And the formula made a mixture of the two. I don't think there were any big "mistakes" in the last few years of the BCS--where the majority opinion was that the BCS got it seriously wrong. There was a lot of controversy about the Auburn-Alabama rematch, but Auburn winning justified their inclusion, and that was probably a major factor in going to 4 teams.

The biggest problem with the committee, in my opinion, is that it's such a small group that it's easy to argue almost any kind of bias or motivation--big-name-school bias, doing-ESPNs-bidding, SEC bias, personal animosities.

So, I took six different rankings: The selection committee, AP and Coaches' polls, Sagarin, Massey and Colley Matrix. I threw out the highest and lowest ranking for each team, and averaged the rest. These are the results, compared with the committee rank alone:

......Team.......CFP....Composite

Clemson...........1........1
Oklahoma.........2........2
Georgia............3........3
Alabama..........4........4
Ohio State........5........5
Wisconsin.........6........6
Auburn............7........7
USC................8........9
Penn State.......9........8
Miami.............10......11
Washington.....11......13
UCF................12......10
Stanford.........13......15
Notre Dame....14......12
TCU................15.....14

The first seven are identical, and Penn State and USC take turns at #8 and #9. The only practical result that would be different from the selection committee's decisions would be that Notre Dame would get the last NY6 spot instead of Washington.

How much better could the committee have done?
12-04-2017 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alabama is IN, Ohio State is OUT !!! - ken d - 12-04-2017 09:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.