Alternate History and Future College Sports Realignment Scenarios
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Alternate History and Future College Sports Realignment Scenarios
(07-18-2019 09:27 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(07-18-2019 09:13 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(07-18-2019 09:04 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-18-2019 08:59 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Here’s an old time realignment change that might have had a huge impact on college sports:

In 1933 13 schools left the SoCon to form the SEC. The ones who stayed behind were:

Maryland, UVA, VT, UNC, NC St, Duke, Clemson, South Carolina, Washington & Lee, & VMI

Those 10 soon added 7 others—mostly small privates. The South Carolina and Tobacco Road schools were frequently at odds with each other. This carried over to the ACC when it was founded in the 1950s too.

But what if Clemson and S.C. had been part of the SEC at its founding? They’d Already have 12 schools in 1991. They could have still pursued Arkansas and FSU that year.

The bigger question mark is what happens to Tobacco Road? Maybe we get an East Coast League that stretches from Boston to NC (and maybe on to Atlanta or Miami)?

Without the South Carolina schools would they have added Georgia Tech? If the ACC had been weaker would Georgia Tech have joined them in '78? Either way they don't get Florida State. There wouldn't have been any football first schools. If anything the assumption might be that the Big East would have raided the ACC instead of the other way around.

Those are my thoughts as well. I think the SEC goes to 14 in 1991 with the Hogs and Noles. GT still goes Indy and I think it becomes an incredibly regrettable decision. Instead of the Big East I think we get the Joe P Conference as Maryland would be a strong advocate for that alliance:

BC, Cuse, Pitt, Penn St, Rutgers, WVU
Maryland, UVA, VT, UNC, NC St, GT, Miami

I realize that’s 13 so I imagine someone ends up being an odd man out. I don’t think Duke and WF get to come along on this ride.

Duke can come along to win UNC over, bumping UMD to the other division.

BIG ATLANTIC CONFERENCE

North/South
Boston College/Miami-FL
Maryland/Virginia
Penn State/Georgia Tech
Pittsburgh/NC State
Rutgers/North Carolina
Syracuse/Duke
West Virginia/Virginia Tech

Meanwhile, the SEC is sitting like so:

SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE

Eastern/Southern
Alabama/Auburn
Florida State/Florida
LSU/Arkansas
Ole Miss/Mississippi State
South Carolina/Clemson
Tennessee/Kentucky
Vanderbilt/Georgia

That’s a nice set up.

Can the Big Atlantic hang on the Penn St in 1991 though? If they lose them what happens?

I see two possibilities for the SEC—they put either Vandy or Florida St in the West. Either way you need a crossover rivalry game. I think the SEC would go with no required crossover games (division standings determine CCG participation.
07-19-2019 04:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alternate History and Future College Sports Realignment Scenarios - Fighting Muskie - 07-19-2019 04:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.