Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
MVC to hold emergency meeting on Sunday in Saint Louis (Rothstein)
jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
RE: MVC to hold emergency meeting on Sunday in Saint Louis (Rothstein)
(04-07-2017 10:19 AM)ShockerDR Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 10:11 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 09:44 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 09:53 PM)Shox Wrote:  A few years back during one of the revive football campaigns, one of the guys behind it was a lawyer. He published a paper that basically said since Wichita State technically "suspended" the program rather than "cancelling" the program in 1986, under NCAA rules we could bring it back as an FBS independent.

Don't even think you'd need to try that dance. With Liberty getting its way, I really doubt the NCAA would prevent WSU from (re-)starting football, spending two years as FCS independent, and then moving up to FBS independent.

Perhaps that's exactly what it has in mind, within the next 10 years.

(04-07-2017 12:32 AM)esayem Wrote:  The Valley post Wichita State:

Olympic and Football
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois

Olympic
Bradley
Drake
Evansville
Loyola

Football
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU
Western Illinois
Youngstown State

The above is incorrect.
The MVC does not have football. The MVC does not have football affiliate members.

The MVFC is a completely separate conference. It always has been, in the conferences' histories. It was called the Gateway conference, but the MVC schools wanted to change the name to make it look like it was all one conference, and the MVC was a hot commodity at that time. So no one objected.

But it's not the same.

(04-07-2017 12:32 AM)esayem Wrote:  This is a critical moment for the Missouri Valley. I think it would be wise to add all of the Dakota schools and either Valpo, UIC, UMKC, or Murray State (who could bring football too). Inviting just one olympic school seems like a band-aid, but unfortunately that is most likely what will happen.

What I'd like to see:

Missouri Valley Conference (all-sports)
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois

Midwestern City Conference (Olympic Sports)
Bradley
Denver
Detroit
Drake
Evansville
Loyola
Oral Roberts
Valparaiso

St. Louis would be ideal, but they probably won't bite.

Either the WAC or Summit League folds as their programs go elsewhere.

No reason not to add UMKC and Omaha to your MCC, as a bridge to Denver.

But it's a moot point anyway, as it will never, ever happen. Schools like UNI, SIU, IL St, IN St, and MO St are steadfast committed to the MVC being the home of programs that spend more and have higher attendance in men's basketball than any other midwestern mid-major league. And they are resentful and committed to keeping the Dakota schools OUT.

Looks good on a message board, zero basis in the political reality.

(04-07-2017 04:50 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I'm pulling for Murray State, any of the Dakotas, or the UW's...

(04-06-2017 10:19 PM)Shox Wrote:  The long term view is to add the XDSU's

Dakotas have zero chance of an MVC invite. Won't even get a sniff.

They are quite happy in the defacto Dakota Conference (Summit). 07-coffee3

The above bolded line nailed it.

No "Dakota" school will ever be in the Valley as the current Valley sits. Especially NDSU and SDSU who are seen as threats to the status quo. I still recall getting invited to the Gateway and being told we would be bottom feeders because we were now entering the realm of the all powerful MVC schools. In a very shot time the two XDSU shot to the top of the conference.

The growing athletic budgets, the facilities, the loud fan bases, and now the addition of UND to go along with the previous addition of USD
... No way any Dakota school gets a sniff at the MVC.

I get what you're saying here, but the bolded above should give the Valley schools enough reason to invite them. Not only is the upside greater than any other school, but they would compete now. Additionally, while the MVC and MVFC are separate entities, I believe they share facilities and support staff. Bringing the Dakotas in would allow the Valley to shudder the MVFC and bring football in house, thus reducing corporate overhead. I doubt Elgin and the presidents have the foresight to make this move, but they'd be foolish not to seriously consider it.

Now, would the Dakotas accept?

Keep in mind that there are some who are happy WSU have departed. Outside of ISUr and UNI, and maybe Bradley which Valley school wants to bring in a larger, public, state school? There are competing agendas within the Valley. Why do you think names like UMKC and Omaha are floated? We shall see, if I were a school within the Valley who wants the conference to improve I would not get my hopes up.
04-07-2017 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: MVC to hold emergency meeting on Sunday in Saint Louis (Rothstein) - jacksfan29 - 04-07-2017 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.