Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: What would you do?
Invite current FCS schools
Force Arlington and/or Little Rock to start football
Invite football only schools like NMSU, Idaho, and/or UMass
No new football teams, even if two schools left conference
[Show Results]

if Sun Belt were to expand, what's your ideal result?
Bookmark and Share
Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I Root For: App State
RE: if Sun Belt were to expand, what's your ideal result?
(02-15-2017 12:36 AM)ChooChoo Wrote:  
(02-14-2017 10:32 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(02-14-2017 07:32 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(02-14-2017 01:58 PM)runamuck Wrote:  
(02-14-2017 01:50 PM)slycat Wrote:  The ones that post here mostly understand the SBC is better than its perception. The Bobcat message board or general sentiment is different. If they had followed FCS football closely in our Southland days they would also know App and GS were top adds. The problem is most people don't get that. They still see SBC as a basement conference and TXST getting passed by UTSA when they left the WAC and went CUSA. Which at the time everyone in the SBC was trying to get to too. It's hard being the only Texas school. I've enjoyed UL, ULM, and stAte. GS, App, and USA have been fun as well. I look forward to playing Troy and GSU more and getting to know CCU. I will miss NMSU and Idaho. We were in the WAC together and have all had an interesting ride on the conference realignment roller coaster.

Overall, I would rather play the SBC teams than most of CUSA. That said I wouldn't mind the other Texas schools, LA Tech, and USM.

I think the sbc is a pretty good home for uta. the sports we have, the belt is pretty competitive in. I wish we had nmsu for all sports and a western division and maybe somiss for an eastern division. we dont have many options so the sbc is a good one in my view. our fans have a history with the western ones so mostly all is good.

The Sunbelt is an amalgamation of schools with previous ties to one another at different times in their history. Idaho, NMSU, UT Arlington and Tex State in the WAC. A State, Louisiana & NMSU in the Big West. A State, Louisiana & ULM in the Southland. App & GA So in the Southern. No wonder we tend to choose sides. Troy, Ga State, USA and Coastal are the only ones not to have a previous association to anyone else.
Even though South Alabama is the only school that's always been in the conference, when it comes to football, I think of La., ULM, A-State, and Troy as the core, "original" of the conference. USA and Little Rock are core members for other sports. The rest are new this decade.

Not so fast...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Belt_Conference
"The Sun Belt Conference was founded on August 4, 1976 with the University of New Orleans, the University of South Alabama, Georgia State University, Jacksonville University, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and the University of South Florida".
and...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Sun_Conference (formerly TAAC)
ULM ('78-'82)
Little Rock ('79-'91)
Georgia Southern ('80-'92)
Georgia State ('83-'05)
Troy ('97-'05)

I know GSU had been in the league before, so I distinguished USA by saying that they are the only ones who has ALWAYS been there.
02-15-2017 07:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: if Sun Belt were to expand, what's your ideal result? - Michael in Raleigh - 02-15-2017 07:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.