WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University
(06-28-2016 12:10 PM)itsmeagain Wrote:  
(06-28-2016 11:48 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(06-28-2016 11:42 AM)gsuncc Wrote:  
(06-28-2016 11:41 AM)panama Wrote:  
(06-28-2016 11:29 AM)gsuncc Wrote:  Hasn't always been a baseball stadium...so there's that.

I'm keen to see, once there are official renderings, what other sports might be able to move from Panthersville to this new property; hopefully soccer, softball, maybe track (resurrected) can find space there.
The space is there and in adjoining parcels. Also no telling what happens to existing football facility. Plus there is land the city may sell separately.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes...but where oh where shall we ever find the money...oh snap...shenanigans!

That is actually a legit question. Where are you guys going to come up with the money to not only buy the land, but then develop all of it?

We aren't buying the land by ourselves, in fact we're buying it with two different developers who will be working with us to buy it. We won't know how this plays out until it's done i would imagine. But, as the property being sold to the developers is contingent upon the university getting the land, one would think that the developers are going to help GSU out. On top of that, GSU has a great reputation with the city and downtown as we've basically been the main factor in bringing it back to life, so there is also a possibility that the city makes sure that we get a good deal on this. It's no coincidence that the school was always in the drivers seat for buying the property, it was a no brainer to make sure that the land went to GSU as it's the only way that that part of the city was going to undergo any type of transformation in a reasonable amount of time.

Now, as it is to be assumed that the school will have to put up at least SOME of the money for this, we're in the midst of a $300 million fundraising push, of which (i believe these numbers to be true, Panama can probably correct me if i'm out of date) $200 million has been raised. A portion of that will go to athletics. This is outside of any other fundraising that has gone on specifically for athletics, and we'll probably see a good chunk of money donated by the usual suspects as soon as a real plan is put together (we have a few multi-million dollar donors that donate to big athletic projects, i'd imagine they would do the same for this). Being that we don't know how much the renovation will cost, nobody can say how much of all this money will be needed to make this happen, but remember, a big chunk of this development will be academic (in fact, only the baseball stadium and football renovation will be athletic), so for everything but those, the state can help chip in, or private developers can build dorms on the property, so the rest of the development is likely taken care of. I would think that that $300 million being raised should be enough to take care of the entire Turner Field area, including both stadiums and academic/housing venues given all the peripheral sources.

Finally, if need be, we'll have two stadiums to sell naming rights to, along with any of the normal funding mechanisms for such things (it's not like you have to have all the money up from for the complete development). I also haven't looked into it, but it's possible that Turner Field is part of a tax allocation district, which means that the city can put money into the development going on so long as it brings up property values and raises the amount of income tax in an area over time.

Good post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-28-2016 12:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - WolfBird - 06-28-2016 12:51 PM
Re: RE: - panama - 09-16-2015, 10:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.