Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University
Bookmark and Share
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged
(10-15-2015 09:28 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(10-15-2015 08:01 AM)FLEagle Wrote:  By accessible, he means closer to the yuppies in the suburbs. I don't know any folks in the city, myself included, that will be traveling to Cobb county to watch the braves lose
Yuppies in the suburbs are people, too, and their money spends the same as everybody else's money. Unclear why that is a cause for snark/bitterness.

But anyway: No that is not what I meant by accessible. What I meant is that more people -- just more people, period -- will be able to watch a game in person, based purely on the geography/location of the new stadium compared to the Ted.

Even if the logistics of traffic/congestion is an absolute nightmare -- well, that won't be any worse than what it's been like to go to the Ted for a game these past 20 years.

(10-15-2015 11:05 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(10-15-2015 08:01 AM)FLEagle Wrote:  
(10-15-2015 07:36 AM)soar#417 Wrote:  
(10-14-2015 10:01 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(10-14-2015 02:21 PM)soar#417 Wrote:  Bah humbug...still bitter.
What's to be bitter about? Braves games will be far more accessible to far greater-# of fans, and the neighborhoods around Turner Field will be much better off.

We wont get into this on here, but no, the Braves games will not be more accessible so that has to be sarcasm. The neighborhoods around Turner Field have the potential to be better off if the city makes the right choice on who should take over the land...imo that would be GSU, but we'll see. Still laughing at you thinking its more accessible in its new location hahahahahahahaha

By accessible, he means closer to the yuppies in the suberbs. I don't know any folks in the city, myself included, that will be traveling to Cobb county to watch the braves lose

AKA the people that attend baseball games. So all OTP folks that attend baseball games are yuppies, interesting? Since it perfectly ok to blatantly stereotype, is that worse than being metrosexual, ghetto or hipster? I never noticed many of that type in the crowd. The truth is the Braves got no love from ATL and the vast majority of fans come from the burbs. I really don't watch baseball so I don't care but it was a no brainer for the Braves. Will it be easier to attend TBD. But I don't see how it will not be having fans split four ways instead of 95% trying all get on 75/85 to get to and leave, not to mention a lot will just be able to avoid the interstate all together unlike now.

(10-16-2015 10:04 AM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  Their attendance will be better just off the strength that:

1) The people in the burbs hated going to Summer Hill/Mechanicsville
2) Stadium will have much nicer amenities around it (Hell they already have more development than Turner Field has had, well scratch that, since the old Atlanta Stadium was there, and the stadium isnt even open yet.)
3) Their map that showed where their season ticket holders live, the vast majority lived in the northern suburbs.

Be real, it's a lot easier to convince a fan to go to a game in Cumberland than it is to get them to go to a game in Summer Hill...ESPECIALLY at night.

(10-16-2015 11:20 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(10-16-2015 07:42 AM)panama Wrote:  
(10-15-2015 11:05 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(10-15-2015 08:01 AM)FLEagle Wrote:  
(10-15-2015 07:36 AM)soar#417 Wrote:  We wont get into this on here, but no, the Braves games will not be more accessible so that has to be sarcasm. The neighborhoods around Turner Field have the potential to be better off if the city makes the right choice on who should take over the land...imo that would be GSU, but we'll see. Still laughing at you thinking its more accessible in its new location hahahahahahahaha

By accessible, he means closer to the yuppies in the suberbs. I don't know any folks in the city, myself included, that will be traveling to Cobb county to watch the braves lose

AKA the people that attend baseball games. So all OTP folks that attend baseball games are yuppies, interesting? Since it perfectly ok to blatantly stereotype, is that worse than being metrosexual, ghetto or hipster? I never noticed many of that type in the crowd. The truth is the Braves got no love from ATL and the vast majority of fans come from the burbs. I really don't watch baseball so I don't care but it was a no brainer for the Braves. Will it be easier to attend TBD. But I don't see how it will not be having fans split four ways instead of 95% trying all get on 75/85 to get to and leave, not to mention a lot will just be able to avoid the interstate all together unlike now.

The Braves fan base left the building circa 1997. Once we left AFCS and the price of a beer doubled, the real fan stayed home. There are thousands of "fans" that never go to a game. They watch on TV regularly. They talk about the team. They don't go to games. It's too expensive. They will get a bump when they open the new ball park but then it will go back down to half empty because Braves games are a place to be seen when they are doing well. This is not Philly or Chicago.

The real and fake fans come from the burbs always have. Those are not my opinions it is from research and basic common sense. Attendance dropped because the horrible trek from the burbs to that area was not worth seeing mediocre baseball unlike in the 90's. Baseball in NE Cobb is insane ask Jason Heyward. I don't see any powerhouse youth league baseball being played downtown or a field around every corner like it is OTP.

This is purely anecdotal, but the Braves have some of the worst attendance of MLB teams during the school year (April-May & Aug.-Oct.). I've seen this mentioned by Braves' AJC Beat Writer on Twitter before.

I believe this is because Atlanta is different than most cities in that the city itself has a relatively low population compared to it's suburbs (less than 500k compared to metro of 5M).

I think by moving the stadium closer to the suburbs where the season ticket holders live, you'll get better school night attendance.
10-17-2015 08:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Re: RE: - panama - 09-16-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - GaStPanthers - 10-17-2015 08:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.