Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AP source: Big East moving on NBC Sports Net deal ($2 mill per team)
Bookmark and Share
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: AP source: Big East moving on NBC Sports Net deal ($2 mill per team)
(02-13-2013 04:31 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  Wow... so much doom and gloom.

You have to figure that once more movement happens (and it will) UC will be one of the next 2-3 in line. It's not so much a question of will more movement happen, it's when... and, of course, will UC be on the move with the next train.

Why do so many seem so convinced that conference realignment is over? If UC is still stuck in this joke of a conference after the next round, then it may be time for doom and gloom.... but not yet.

Agree completely. UC will get an invite; probably this year. There should also be an eight figure pool of exit fee money to share among remaining BE members that could provide a needed cash infusion for each school, offsetting in the short term the very disappointing TV money. Let's get our fair share of those exit fees before walking out.

02-13-2013 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(02-13-2013 04:42 PM)indycat Wrote:  

You have to figure that once more movement happens (and it will) UC will be one of the next 2-3 in line. It's not so much a question of will more movement happen, it's when... and, of course, will UC be on the move with the next train.

Why do so many seem so convinced that conference realignment is over? If UC is still stuck in this joke of a conference after the next round, then it may be time for doom and gloom.... but not yet.

Agree completely. UC will get an invite; probably this year. There should also be an eight figure pool of exit fee money to share among remaining BE members that could provide a needed cash infusion for each school, offsetting in the short term the very disappointing TV money. Let's get our fair share of those exit fees before walking out.

The exit fee and tournament credits is keeping UC and UConn her until the realignment cycle starts again.

I also read on ajerseyguy.com that the NBC offer must be shown to ESPN first. ESPN can then make their own offer which can be accepted by the conference or rejected. So the process isn't done yet. Hopefully they can squeeze a few more dollars out of both ESPN and NBC.

Next year should be fun, the BCS bid is still here and the 18 team basketball conference is loaded too. By that time UC might only have one or two years left in the Big East.

02-13-2013 04:49 PM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-13-2013 04:42 PM)indycat Wrote:  

I wouldn't count on any money from exit fees unless you are one of the law firms representing one side of the many lawsuits that are sure to be filed.

I also wouldn't hope for us to be in the ACC. I think after it is raided, and it will be raided, the conference that is left will not be one of the conferences included in the football playoff or any of the big money bowls.

02-13-2013 04:53 PM
Kenyon#4 Away
Retired

I Root For: Bearcats
If UC doesn't get an offer by the end of this year, Tubs & Cronin will likely be gone in 1-2 years. There is simply no point in them staying at a school at such a competitive disadvantage.

02-13-2013 05:10 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(02-13-2013 05:10 PM)Kenyon#4 Wrote:  If UC doesn't get an offer by the end of this year, Tubs & Cronin will likely be gone in 1-2 years. There is simply no point in them staying at a school at such a competitive disadvantage.

Maybe that is true but Mark Few has stuck around at Gonzaga, Brad Stevens at Butler, Chris Peterson at Boise State. I would hope Cronin would stay at his "dream job" as well.

02-13-2013 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Its the same doom and gloom that plagues Reds and Bengals fans when teams are winning . Something in the water in this town that makes everyone think the worse.

02-13-2013 05:26 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
I don't see Cronin bailing on his hometown school...

02-13-2013 05:28 PM
Kenyon#4 Away
Retired

I Root For: Bearcats
(02-13-2013 05:28 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  I don't see Cronin bailing on his hometown school...

He did it once already, and I wouldn't blame him for doing it again if we get stuck with this kind of deal, in a crap conference. He could go to just about any major program and have at least 2-3x the resources he's going to have here.

This kind of piss poor revenue is going to impact the coaches we can hire, big time. Think of this.....the salary for Cronin and Tubs combine is going to half (strictly looking at base salary, no advertising incentives) of the revenue we'd get from this TV deal. Anyway you cut it, this is simply not acceptable.

02-13-2013 05:40 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

(02-13-2013 05:40 PM)Kenyon#4 Wrote:  
(02-13-2013 05:28 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  I don't see Cronin bailing on his hometown school...

He did it once already, and I wouldn't blame him for doing it again if we get stuck with this kind of deal, in a crap conference. He could go to just about any major program and have at least 2-3x the resources he's going to have here.

This kind of piss poor revenue is going to impact the coaches we can hire, big time. Think of this.....the salary for Cronin and Tubs combine is going to half (strictly looking at base salary, no advertising incentives) of the revenue we'd get from this TV deal. Anyway you cut it, this is simply not acceptable.

Comparing being an assistant to the head man?

02-13-2013 05:44 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Micks dad goes to practice every day and his daughter lives in Cincinnati, unless something opens up within 100 miles (UK, OSU) I doubt he goes anywhere. I know he'll have a few people calling and checking though.

02-13-2013 07:42 PM
marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
(02-13-2013 05:26 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  

Its the same doom and gloom that plagues Reds and Bengals fans when teams are winning . Something in the water in this town that makes everyone think the worse.

This!

My gawd. It's so dramatic. One of many reasons I had to escape.

mc

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 09:56 AM by marcuscan.)
02-13-2013 08:04 PM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-12-2013 10:13 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  NEW YORK (AP) -- The Big East is moving past damage control and toward finally finishing some important business.
Two people familiar with the deal say the conference is closing in on a six-year contract with NBC Sports Network for football and basketball rights that will pay members around $20 million per year.
The people spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because negotiations weren't being made public.
One person said the deal would likely be announced within the next two weeks. The Big East first has to go through the process of allowing ESPN, which currently holds the conference's football TV rights, to match the offer.
ESPN.com first reported the network's offer to the Big East.
The deal being worked on would allow NBC Sports Network to move some Big East games to other networks.
Commissioner Mike Aresco wouldn't confirm any details of the television deal being worked on, nor exactly when it would be done, in an interview with the AP on Tuesday.
He did say the Big East was in position to come away with a ''wide range of exposure and branding opportunities.''
''What we're trying to is build a solid foundation,'' Aresco said.
The Big East's current football deal with ESPN expires after the 2013 season and has paid football members about $3.1 million per year. The deal in the works would pay members about $2 million per year, depending upon whether the league has 11 or 12 members.
Since Aresco took over in September, 12 schools have announced they intend to leave the Big East - or not join - including seven prominent basketball schools that do not play FBS football.
The departures took a toll on the Big East' ability to negotiate a TV deal, and blew up plans to have a coast-to-coast football conference, with Boise State anchoring its western division, along with a huge basketball league that included traditional powers and name brands such as Georgetown and Villanova.
''You're thinking has to evolve,'' Aresco said. ''There was different message in the early fall. You have to reassess where you are.''
Aresco and the Big East also have been negotiating a split with officials representing Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Seton Hall, DePaul, Providence and Marquette.
Those school are working to start a new basketball-centric conference, but it appears they will be spend at least one more season as part of the Big East.
Among the issues being discussed by the departing and remaining Big East members are how to split tens of millions of dollars in revenue and which group will play under the Big East name.
Notre Dame is also in the Big East for at least one more season before moving its sports - other than football and hockey - to the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Football members Rutgers and Louisville have at least one more season in the Big East before the Scarlet Knights move to the Big Ten and Louisville heads to the ACC.
After all those schools announced they were leaving the Big East, Boise State and San Diego State reneged on their commitments to join as football-only members for the 2013 season.
Joining the Big East in 2013 will be Memphis, Central Florida, SMU and Houston from Conference USA. Tulane and East Carolina, also from CUSA, come aboard in 2014. Navy is set to join for football only in 2015.
That would give the Big East 11 members, along with holdovers Cincinnati, Connecticut, South Florida and Temple.
''We have a lot of untapped potential,'' he said. ''We have teams that investing (in athletics) and they are all on the rise.''
The Big East is likely to add at least one more school to make it an even 12, split into two football divisions and play conference championship game.
Tulsa is the leading candidate to receive the next invite from the Big East, according to a person familiar with the situation.
Conference realignment is always a threat to rattle the Big East again, but Aresco is hoping the league can finally start building toward the future.
''There is potential for growth in this conference,'' he said. ''Are we looking for the ability to challenge the so-called power five conferences? Sure we are. No one has a lock on winning.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-b...ncaaf.html

----------
So basically we are going to make less money than the last deal...

did you know that your headline indicated 2 million a year instead of 20?

02-13-2013 08:13 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

Yes, it is 2 million per team, 20 million for the whole league...

02-13-2013 08:46 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(02-13-2013 05:15 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(02-13-2013 05:10 PM)Kenyon#4 Wrote:  If UC doesn't get an offer by the end of this year, Tubs & Cronin will likely be gone in 1-2 years. There is simply no point in them staying at a school at such a competitive disadvantage.

Maybe that is true but Mark Few has stuck around at Gonzaga, Brad Stevens at Butler, Chris Peterson at Boise State. I would hope Cronin would stay at his "dream job" as well.

Agreed. In fact it's also unlikely Tuberville goes anywhere even if the doom and gloom forecast many of you are obsessed with comes to pass. He's up there in age by college coaching standards and if anything the trend is for getting even younger coaches (e.g. his replacement at Texas Tech). Perhaps more importantly, he's getting paid better by UC than he would at many other BCS schools - doubt he's looking to take a major paycut. Unless he puts together a miracle type dream season or two at UC, nearly every school that would pay significantly more than UC will be looking for the next big thing or a guy in his prime age-wise if they make a new hire.

Regardless of how the conference thing ends up (and I still think there's a very good chance it will be fine in the end) and barring an unpredictable issue (e.g. future problems with the administration) I think there's a very good chance Tuberville is UC's football coach until he retires (or is fired).

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 01:24 AM by Bearhawkeye.)
02-14-2013 01:22 AM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
If we actually ever play a game in the NBE...

Basketball will be fine. We've won a lot of games recently in arguably the toughest conference in the country. UConn, Memphis, and Temple will provide good competition and I'd expect the OOC schedule to be upgraded. Also, as one of the faces of the new conference we'd be a prime target for an invite to one of the best early season tournaments. While the full slate of home games might not be as exciting, I could easily see this program winning 25+ games yearly and easily making the tournament. Good players are attracted to teams that win, regardless of conference affiliation. I think Mick would be very successful at selling a consistent, winning program. I can't see a scenario where Mick would cut bait and run just because we aren't in a "power conference." Mick saw firsthand what this program is capable of doing absent a "power conference" label. As long as Mick is here this is going to be a winning program. Might as well get used to it.

02-14-2013 01:56 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Again we have two years here...maybe three.

One year is in an AQ and a good bball conference (next year)
the two years that follow, even in a worse case scenario will be ok.

It's beyond that that things will get tough.

I'd like to think something will shake loose for UC in the next three years.

02-14-2013 08:37 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
I think Whit will most likley need to put together a raise and a contract extension for Cronin this year. He will also need to give Cronin some confidence that something will be done to 5/3 Arena. Other schools will come calling.

Some will be mad if Cronin were to leave, but I know some people that have still not accepted him despite the great job he has done.

02-14-2013 08:38 AM
#41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-13-2013 04:31 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  Why do so many seem so convinced that conference realignment is over?

Because there's equally as much evidence that it's over as there is that it's continuing -- which is to say, none.

The guys claiming it's ongoing are mostly bloggers looking for page hits with batting averages south of Juan Castro.

02-14-2013 08:47 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(02-14-2013 08:47 AM)#41 Wrote:  
(02-13-2013 04:31 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  Why do so many seem so convinced that conference realignment is over?

Because there's equally as much evidence that it's over as there is that it's continuing -- which is to say, none.

The guys claiming it's ongoing are mostly bloggers looking for page hits with batting averages south of Juan Castro.

good point...but with the spectre of B1G network and sucking up untapped markets if I'm a betting man, I bet alignment is not finished. With them moving into RU/Maryland areas they are already "out east" and now they see virgin land ahead (ie North Carolina, Virginia, Atlanta market, etc)

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 08:51 AM by Bearcats#1.)
02-14-2013 08:51 AM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(02-14-2013 08:47 AM)#41 Wrote:  

Fair point, I guess there really is no evidence one way or the other. However, let's be realistic: does anyone honestly believe it's over? IMO, it's very naive to believe it is. Sure, there's no hard evidence that more movement is coming, but... come on.

It's not over.

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 09:18 AM by pat5775.)
02-14-2013 09:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.