Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia State
Bookmark and Share
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
RE: Georgia State
FIU shared a conference title....has a lot of aluminum showing anytime the play at home yet because they are in Florida and big city they are thought of higher than a UL or stAte. That is bull. If the city actually knew where the stadium was it would be different...if the fan base would follow to a local bowl game ...maybe. This is kind of like the Monkees...a made up band for TV. They became a success but I am not sure enough people in Miami will ever give a rip about FIU to make them a success.
03-24-2012 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Not anytime OsageJ, but it is a problem of a program only 10 years old to grow a fanbase of a university that hasn't even been open for 40 years. It takes time to build a fanbase, and I would counter to you that we've seen definite growth in our following and facilities. It is what it is, and we don't know what will be, but it sounds to me you personally don't like that "they (FIU) are thought of higher than a UL or stAte", is your conclusion which reeks of sour grapes to me.
03-24-2012 04:26 PM
theATLDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For:
well as someone that has lived in the Miami metroplex and Atlanta, it's no question I would prefer those to Ruston also, but that doesn't help your point that Ruston sits in a town of 20k and gets over 22k for most games and thier average is going up. FIU sits in the middle of a huge market and barely sniffs at 14k yet they get rewarded based on sitting in a city that could care less about athletics. I used to go to Miami games and that stadium would be empty.
03-24-2012 04:46 PM
FIU4Ever Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
(03-24-2012 04:07 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  ...has a lot of aluminum showing anytime the play at home yet because they are in Florida and big city they are thought of higher than a UL or stAte. That is bull.

Saying a team isn't worthy because of the material that makes their stadium is the same as saying a team will be good because they are in a big city. Both have no bearing on the actual performance of the teams.

(03-24-2012 04:07 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  I am not sure enough people in Miami will ever give a rip about FIU to make them a success.

This sounds more like a wish than something grounded in fact.

Lets llook at some facts from an advertiser's point of view, ASU stadium original capacity was 16k in '74, then 18k+ in '80 and now at 30k. After a century of football, you largest crowd was just over 30k. Let's compare with the newest "big city" program that has nothing else going for it besides DMA. UTSA largest crowd to date is 56k with 1 year of football.

And you wonder why ESPN etc likes big city teams?
03-24-2012 04:49 PM
FIU4Ever Offline
1st String

(03-24-2012 04:46 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  well as someone that has lived in the Miami metroplex and Atlanta, it's no question I would prefer those to Ruston also, but that doesn't help your point that Ruston sits in a town of 20k and gets over 22k for most games and thier average is going up. FIU sits in the middle of a huge market and barely sniffs at 14k yet they get rewarded based on sitting in a city that could care less about athletics. I used to go to Miami games and that stadium would be empty.

You should use google or wiki if you don't want to go to FIU athletics' site and check those grossly inaccurate numbers before posting. You make a good point with Ruston's 20k population, it shows you have hit your ceiling in terms of attendance with playing ball as long as you guys have and as "nationally known" as you think you are.
03-24-2012 04:56 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Curious, never heard any South Floridian refer to the area as "Miami Metroplex" before......But what you said about South Florida attendance is mostly true, but get your facts right at least, as the average for FIU past season was 18,411 not 14k. However, your ignorance was mostly about facilities and implying FIU was located in inner city....but most of all that it was a "diploma factory", which can't be further from the truth. If you want to bring up academics, let's bring them with facts, not with innuendos and wrong information.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2012 05:05 PM by FIUFanatic.)
03-24-2012 04:59 PM
FIU4Ever Offline
1st String

You guys built your fan base over several decades, up to a century in some cases. But you all assume that after 10 years of football FIU is a lost cause even though our attendance improves each year and our bowl attendance numbers go up each year.
03-24-2012 05:07 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-24-2012 05:07 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  You guys built your fan base over several decades, up to a century in some cases. But you all assume that after 10 years of football FIU is a lost cause even though our attendance improves each year and our bowl attendance numbers go up each year.

Exactly. And with the hate and derision....Geez...La Tech's first football game in 1901 (that's 111 seasons). FIU opened its doors as a university in 1972, and its first football game in 2002 (10 seasons old). La Tech opened its doors in 1894 (wow...118 years ago), yet schools like FIU, FAU are much younger and successful, if you compare.
03-24-2012 05:25 PM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(03-24-2012 05:07 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  You guys built your fan base over several decades, up to a century in some cases. But you all assume that after 10 years of football FIU is a lost cause even though our attendance improves each year and our bowl attendance numbers go up each year.

I understand why you guys take it so personally, and there's no malice in my post, but to a point, they are right. I have a hard time understanding any argument for a large market that doesn't actually deliver it (this is me attempting to correlate the thread back to the actual subject).

I think the point is that if you can't draw good crowds in the huge market, then what tv or marketing appeal does that bring? And having such a poor showing at a bowl game right around the corner from you is bad. Very bad. Honestly asking, do you think any other school would've had as poor a showing as that with their bowl game so close?

Marketers don't get paid off of an areas population numbers, they get paid on the estimated views an ad will get and the number of tvs that will/do tune in. I'll give you, GaSt, hell throw South in there, that if any were to move up, the increase in name recognition of opponents would provide a slight boost to those numbers. But your post about UTSA, to me, signifies the problem you and others have. Only having a program for a decade isn't an excuse when a startup, in a large city but smaller than your own, did a fantastic job of drawing crowds. And they played some not so recognizable names. That, to me, is exactly what makes them so attractive; not simply their market, but that they will actually deliver it too.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2012 05:40 PM by BLEEDITRED.)
03-24-2012 05:38 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I don't know what you call a poor showing (10,000 fans), and how bad, very bad it is, but the fact remains schools like FAU and FIU were in the mix and are presumably wanted by other conferences, notwithstanding your opinion. It is what it is, whether you or me like it or not.
03-24-2012 05:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.