Bookmark and Share
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: OT: UCLA QB says "football and academics don't go together"
(08-12-2017 05:37 PM)Surbadger Wrote:  
(08-12-2017 03:46 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-12-2017 10:41 AM)Theflash Wrote:  
(08-12-2017 10:05 AM)Surbadger Wrote:  The problem is that some College Athletes (football, basketball mainly) are put on a pedestal and scene as higher that other students. What do these kids do that some other students do not do already? These kids are getting their entire college paid for! Most regular students would kill for that. I don't have much sympathy for athletes that cry that they deserve more benefits and money. They already get literally all bases covered (the best dorm rooms, the best meal plans, athletic attire to wear, etc.) . Yes, colleges make money off of these kids to some extent, but that says more about the P-5, not our colleges. For every athlete that cries about needing more benefits and hand-outs, I'll tell you about 10 regular students that work 2 jobs just to pay for the cheapest of college amenities. That is what ESPN doesn't pay attention to.
BOOM!

I have always considered college athletics to be be the equivalent of a full time job, and the pay is the scholie.

Exactly... The estimated 'Cost of Attendence' for a student at Marshall University is just shy of $30,000 a year. That's roughly $120,000 for a 4 year athlete. If redshirted, that is over $150,000 in just 5 years!!! Tell me college athletes are not paid well enough. Brandon Doughty had to have cost WKU at least a good Mill... All jokes aside, stipends for living expenses are a load of bull, because there is no need for it. Players are given the finest of everything available during college. Those stipends will usually go toward Air Jordan's and Hover boards instead of useful things.

And unless things have changed there's a good number of the football players who also receive a full pell grant on top of the scholarship money. I can remember from my time at USM (10-12 years ago) that a certain few (maybe 3-4 a year each year i was there) would enroll in classes in the spring semester following their final season of eligibility just long enough to get their pell grant refund at which time they would withdraw from school with up to $2500-$4000 or so cash.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2017 11:45 AM by usm99.)
08-14-2017 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: UCLA QB says "football and academics don't go together" - usm99 - 08-14-2017 11:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.