Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Which FBS or FCS schools will be the next to drop football?
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Which FBS or FCS schools will be the next to drop football?
(02-03-2017 01:19 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 09:14 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  [quote='billybobby777' pid='14058851' dateline='1486094248']
UTEP: I've heard some very startling reports there about the state of their program. Some cites listed their recruiting as LAST in the country yesterday. Even its Basketball was rated behind 335 programs in RPI. Fan support (which used to be great) has eroded. No solutions on how to pay to fire Tim Floyd and Sean Kuglar. UTSA, Texas St and North Texas moving up has destroyed their former recruiting grounds. Sun Bowl and facilities are in need of major repairs. No rivals left to play in CUSA. May need of a MWC invite where their historic rivals reside to survive this.

They complain that they weren't asked to join MWC. They work feverishly to get back there. When they were finally approached, they rebuffed, considering the CUSA an equal. They come forward again, with Rice, and are turned away.

I don't know if shuttering is in their future, but that's a rocky path they've taken...and this information doesn't help frame them any better.

UTEP being ranked last in the country in recruiting class on Wednesday was bad, but what's worse is its the 4th straight year they've had the worst recruiting in FBS. UTEP always looked West for recruits because they played WAC schedules. Then CUSA happened for them and they started focusing on Dallas and continued recruiting South Texas, SA area. That dog won't hunt anymore because fellow CUSAers UTSA and Texas St are getting all those guys. Dallas? There's the Big 12 texhoma 6, and Arkansas of course. They used to be able to fight with SMU, Houston and Tulsa and Tulane for the leftovers. Not anymore. Those 4 are in the AAC. That leaves one school that UTEP used to be way above, and now shares a conference with: North Texas. Look at UNT's recruits, then UTEP's. UTEP is getting killed for recruits by UNT. If UTEP really did turn down a MWC invite to stay in a rival less far flung CUSA full of start up programs...I hope the person who made that call has been fired. If he/she is still employed at UTEP, I predict UTEP drops their FBS program soon. I never thought I'd be saying this but like I said, I've been hearing some startling things from my Miner booster buddy in El Paso.
Cheers!

I really don't think things are that bad at UTEP. We do need an AD that is willing to pull the trigger on under performing coaches a lot quicker. To be fair to the football coach, he cleaned house his first year and so was undermanned in that first campaign, 2-10. His second year was 7-5 plus a loss in the New Mexico Bowl. Third year was 5-7, including a late missed field goal vs La Tech which would have made the Miners bowl eligible in an injury plagued year that saw 17 starters out for part or all of the season. This past year was 4-8 and that failure should have been reason for firing imo. So he has one year left on his contract to prove he can produce a winner.

The AD was interviewed within the last month and is working on a renovation project for the Sun Bowl stadium. When he raises a certain percentage of the overall $50 million upgrade, the work can begin. He also is happy with the 15-16k FB season ticket holders and 5-6k MBB season ticket holders. Facilities at UTEP are very good.

Whether the recruiting rankings prove out, I don't know, but year 2 of his tenure and his 2016 season ending 52-24 win over North Texas and his 5 OT win at UTSA shows that the team is not bereft of talent.

If UTEP can survive the awful football teams it had in the 70's and early 80's and keep a reasonably sized fan base, it can surely survive now. I see nothing that threatens UTEP football.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 03:32 PM by MinerInWisconsin.)
02-03-2017 02:03 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which FBS or FCS schools will be the next to drop football? - MinerInWisconsin - 02-03-2017 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.