Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Baseball - Charlotte Game 1
Volente Beach Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1
Reasonable people can disagree, but I'm not a fan of the bunt except in very few situations. It makes sense when the hitter is weak (such as a pitcher in a National League game). It makes sense in a late inning 0-out situation when you need one run to tie or win. It may make sense if the defense is particularly bad at defending the bunt (rarely).

In my mind, coaching is all about bringing out the best in your players and inspiring confidence in them to do things they didn't think they could do. Asking a batter to bunt may be statistically sound, but it is not confidence inspiring. It sends an indirect signal to the batter that future batters have a better chance of driving home the baserunner than they do. Or, even worse, in a squeeze situation, it tells the batter that the coach is pessimistic that the batter will drive home the runner by swinging. To me, that deflates the batter and in a sacrifice situation, it places more pressure on future batters to drive the run home. From a psychological perspective, I think both outcomes are negative. I'd like to see this team play looser, and be more confident of themselves. One great example of this was in the playoff series versus Oregon a couple of years ago when Christian Stringer was doing the ape scratch motion from the basepaths after getting hits. That might seem trivial, but it was a signal that he and others on the team were loose and confident. That's important to win. When our players are pressing and fearful of making mistakes (looking at you middle infielders) -- that's when we crumble.

We need some yin and yang to the coaching, in my view, to balance out Coach Graham's tough style. Coach Pierce represented that counter balance in years past. I'm not sure we have a substitute for that now. Just some ideas.
03-07-2015 08:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - ColOwl - 03-06-2015, 04:48 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - Leoguy - 03-06-2015, 05:34 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - Leoguy - 03-06-2015, 05:42 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - temchugh - 03-07-2015, 12:12 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - JOwl - 03-06-2015, 10:34 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - JMay - 03-06-2015, 06:40 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - 4GOwls - 03-06-2015, 07:06 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - 13thOwl - 03-06-2015, 07:03 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - temchugh - 03-06-2015, 07:54 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - grol - 03-06-2015, 09:14 PM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - mrbig - 03-07-2015, 03:05 AM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - Volente Beach Owl - 03-07-2015 08:47 AM
RE: Baseball - Charlotte Game 1 - sts60 - 03-07-2015, 02:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.