Add Wichita Now
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: Add Wichita Now
(03-22-2015 06:41 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(03-22-2015 05:50 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Add them before someone else does

no

once their coach bolts you will have a once again midmajor bball program.
pass

You know who else is a mid major bball program in a mid major conference?
03-22-2015 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(03-22-2015 06:10 PM)pesik Wrote:  id honestly consider it but not before some years.... wichita has been elite with a select set of players...i want to see if they can sustain it without them

also keep in mind tulsa was great almost elite in the mvc/wac...but was below average in a better c-usa....playing in a league they can outrecruit and build confidence, plays a big role in their success

Well said pesik

I too mirror your concern... If say Wichita State was extended invitation to this league will they continue their success in a much more competitive conference?! That's just it, we don't know.
03-22-2015 07:17 PM
TUBballJunkie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
Tulsa's mediocrity in CUSA was literally just a single coach for almost that entire affiliation.

Trust me, he would have underachieved had we stayed in the WAC too.
03-22-2015 07:20 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(03-22-2015 07:17 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  
(03-22-2015 06:10 PM)pesik Wrote:  id honestly consider it but not before some years.... wichita has been elite with a select set of players...i want to see if they can sustain it without them

also keep in mind tulsa was great almost elite in the mvc/wac...but was below average in a better c-usa....playing in a league they can outrecruit and build confidence, plays a big role in their success

Well said pesik

I too mirror your concern... If say Wichita State was extended invitation to this league will they continue their success in a much more competitive conference?! That's just it, we don't know.

Wichita was doing fine attendance wise before their run began a decade ago.
03-22-2015 07:24 PM
owlfan2272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple Owls
Wichita has a much better program than 1 coach, they were winning before same with VCU and Shaka. Obviously both are better with their current coaches but they can be successful without. Wichita is a slight problem travel wise but no more than Saint Louis was for the A-10. Again it isn't that much pie being cut by adding them and it would help our league reputation to get more bids
03-22-2015 07:32 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(03-22-2015 06:54 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  If they go anywhere, it would be the Big East. Makes far more financial sense but I doubt there going anywhere any time soon. Big East needs to eventually add WSU and Valpo or VCU to go to 12.

I really doubt that Fox is in the mood to increase a payout for the nBE. I could see any expansion be dilution for the other nBE members. That .0-.3 ratings are not going to warrant fox eating more money.
03-22-2015 07:41 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Let's see how our improved conference does next year before we push the panic button.
03-22-2015 07:41 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(03-22-2015 06:57 PM)owlfan2272 Wrote:  I've wanted them added for 2 years, adding them and vcu wouldn't hurt anybody it could only help

Uh-huh, that's what they said about the oBE. I wonder what happened then? Hmm...
03-22-2015 07:43 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(03-22-2015 07:03 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(03-22-2015 06:57 PM)owlfan2272 Wrote:  I've wanted them added for 2 years, adding them and vcu wouldn't hurt anybody it could only help

except more mouths to feed...

and wichita is only good to us when they are winning, a bad to mediocre wichita not in a great market, small school, and its overall brand isnt that great beyond this stretch and would honestly be useless to us

VCU is a different story but im not sure how much its worth to add bball only members and cause potential chaos we jus avoided ..

I've been trying to tell them it's been done before, but I guess they refuse to learn from history.
03-22-2015 07:44 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(03-22-2015 06:54 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  If they go anywhere, it would be the Big East. Makes far more financial sense but I doubt there going anywhere any time soon. Big East needs to eventually add WSU and Valpo or VCU to go to 12.

Just a guess, but here's the likely BE contenders. (Though the BE isn't looking to expand right now...)
1) Saint Louis (Western counterpart to Creighton)
2) Dayton (Somewhat sketchy, but perhaps...Good quality BB and school)

Beyond those two obvious candidates:
3) Boston University (Private, parochial (UMC) school, brings Boston back into play)
4) Valpo (Private, parochial school (Lutheran), but brings no new footprint. Would compliment DePaul and Butler, though.... Doubtful and would only be added if Dayton was asked and declined)
5) George Mason (Private School, good BB, adds Virginia into the mix)

Cannot see:
-VCU (Large, Public University... Does not fit institutionally)
-Wichita State (Large, Public University... Does not fit institutionally)
-UMass (Large, Public University with FB...Does not fit)
-UConn (Large, Public University with FB... Does not fit institutionally)
-Cincinnati (Large, Public University, with a shared market with Xavier)

You have to remember that the BE has really clarified its identity and has the (proverbial) cards in its favor. They do not HAVE to add anyone right now and when they do, they can afford to be picky. They are not going to go crazy and add just any one...just because. If and when they do add, they will add the RIGHT candidate(s) for the BE brand.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 07:46 PM by BearcatJerry.)
03-22-2015 07:45 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
George Mason is not private and as a matter of fact is a very large commuter school, as seen throughout this conference.
03-22-2015 07:55 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
You have to be a small religious school to be part of the nBE. You have to having the tv drawing power of an info-mmercial on late tv. If you have those two, you're gold.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 07:58 PM by KNIGHTTIME.)
03-22-2015 07:55 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-22-2015 07:43 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  

Uh-huh, that's what they said about the oBE. I wonder what happened then? Hmm...

Big East was a basketball conference that later added football. The AAC is a completely different animal if you ask me. Having non-football members never hurt C-USA. In fact, it really helped having programs like St. Louis and Marquette.
03-22-2015 08:16 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I would be all in with UMass, Wichita State, and VCU. Makes this league a 4 to 7 bid league every season. Unless this conference wants western football expansion it might as well become a better basketball league.

I would even consider divisions in basketball and a 20 game schedule.

West: Cincinnati, Memphis, Wichita State, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Tulane
East: UConn, Temple, UMass, ECU, VCU, USF, UCF

Play everyone in your division twice and every in the opposite division once outside of a made for TV mirror game.
03-22-2015 08:19 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-22-2015 07:55 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  George Mason is not private and as a matter of fact is a very large commuter school, as seen throughout this conference.

I've always gotten a kick out of people who throw the term "commuter school" around like its a defining feature. Most universities in large markets (cities) fit that profile. You could call UCLA a large commuter school, it's still a damn fine university that a colleges all over the world would love to associate with.
03-22-2015 08:38 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-22-2015 06:32 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Who says they would want to come? They have lots of history and solid geography where they are. IF they wanted to join a far flung quasi-major hybrid conference, they'd probably join the A-10.

May as well ask. Houston was stupid enough to join.
03-22-2015 08:41 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Wichita, VCU and Dayton. All 3 add great travel partners for our outliers and isolated teams.
03-22-2015 08:46 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

Re: RE: Add Wichita Now
(03-22-2015 06:35 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  We aren't adding anyone

Dumb move if true.
03-22-2015 08:46 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

Re: RE: Add Wichita Now
(03-22-2015 07:03 PM)pesik Wrote:  

except more mouths to feed...

and wichita is only good to us when they are winning, a bad to mediocre wichita not in a great market, small school, and its overall brand isnt that great beyond this stretch and would honestly be useless to us

VCU is a different story but im not sure how much its worth to add bball only members and cause potential chaos we jus avoided ..

Good God thats one of the dumbest things i keep reading about non football adds. Theyd be an extreme minority instead of majority like they were in the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 08:48 PM by blunderbuss.)
03-22-2015 08:48 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-22-2015 07:45 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Just a guess, but here's the likely BE contenders. (Though the BE isn't looking to expand right now...)
1) Saint Louis (Western counterpart to Creighton)
2) Dayton (Somewhat sketchy, but perhaps...Good quality BB and school)

Beyond those two obvious candidates:
3) Boston University (Private, parochial (UMC) school, brings Boston back into play)
4) Valpo (Private, parochial school (Lutheran), but brings no new footprint. Would compliment DePaul and Butler, though.... Doubtful and would only be added if Dayton was asked and declined)
5) George Mason (Private School, good BB, adds Virginia into the mix)

Cannot see:
-VCU (Large, Public University... Does not fit institutionally)
-Wichita State (Large, Public University... Does not fit institutionally)
-UMass (Large, Public University with FB...Does not fit)
-UConn (Large, Public University with FB... Does not fit institutionally)
-Cincinnati (Large, Public University, with a shared market with Xavier)

You have to remember that the BE has really clarified its identity and has the (proverbial) cards in its favor. They do not HAVE to add anyone right now and when they do, they can afford to be picky. They are not going to go crazy and add just any one...just because. If and when they do add, they will add the RIGHT candidate(s) for the BE brand.

They are not private and they are not Catholic. The Big East isn't inviting them. WSU shared a conference with Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, and Cinci in the past. Witchita joining the AAC is not a stretch at all. The TV exposure by itself would make it a slam dunk. VCU and Dayton is not as much of a sure thing.
03-22-2015 08:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.