Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU Endowment
Bookmark and Share
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: JMU Endowment
(04-10-2014 01:00 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 12:21 PM)JMU2014 Wrote:  Oh yeah that's totally true. They are given a stipend each month for room and board and whatever they don't use on that, they keep. Apartments are so cheap in Harrisonburg that they normally have a pretty good amount left over. That's a reason so many football and basketball players have $300 headphones and several pairs of new Jordans. Save up your extra stipend money for a couple months and you've got a sizable chunk of change.

My memory is fuzzy and things probably have changed but there is stipend you get every month (about $600?) for living expenses. This is basically only rent and meals outside of your meal plan (14 punches when you move off campus) because any academic related expense is covered by your scholarship. The brand new places in H'burg were going for $400-450 at this time which left some for Chipotle and Ciroc. This is also why you see the Beats but interesting note on the Jordans. In addition to the stipend you had an allowance ($100-200?) for clothes/shoes for the semester. You basically went and bought shoes and could turn in the receipt and get reimbursed. I don't remember a lot of people doing this as it wasn't exactly advertised.

Yup, all sorts of stuff available if one knows how to work the system.
http://www.holyturf.com/2011/05/football...caa-rules/
04-10-2014 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(04-10-2014 02:02 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Yup, all sorts of stuff available if one knows how to work the system.
http://www.holyturf.com/2011/05/football...caa-rules/

The article is full of false assumptions and overstatements and kind of pisses me off. Here is what he figures out....
$5,500 - Pell Grant
$500 - Clothing Fund
$8,024 - Fall and Spring Room and Board
$3,016 - Summer Room and Board
$17,070 NET INCOME BABY!!!!!

Here are my more realistic numbers.....
$2,045 - Pell Grant(1)
$300 - Clothing (2)
$8,560 - Fall and Spring Room and Board (3)
$1,064 - Summer Room and Board (4)
$11,969 Revenue
($4,800) - Rent (5)
($1,200) - Groceries (6)
$5,969 NET INCOME*

I'm not going to argue if that is enough or not and I'm not going to value the degree but clearly trying to imply these athletes are walking around making $17,070 is a load of crap.

(1)The AVERAGE pell grant payout is $3,800 so it is ridiculous to say every athlete is getting $5,500. Now I used $2,045 because of the 17.4M college students only 420,000 are NCAA athletes (2.4%). FY11 Pell Grant Appropriations were $35,772,935,000 and assuming 2.4% go to athletes you are left with $859,165,356 to divide with 420,000 athletes for an average of $2,045. Its not pretty and really using $3,800 might be more accurate but I'm trying to prove a point.
(2) I know it was somewhere between $100-200 so I split the difference for two semesters.
(3) From JMU website.
(4) JMU offers 4 week May-mester so I used the same technique he did. Sure some athletes take June classes but I'd say its less than 10%.
(5) $400 a month, literally no research went into this amount.
(6) Meal plan is only 14 punches a week, and it might only be 10. Using 14 punches, lets feed the guys a third meal a day at a cost of $4. $4*300 Days = 1,200. I used 300 because most athletes go home for all of June and Spring/Winter Break and the math was easy.
(7) 20 hours a week allowed by NCAA x 11 months. I'm not sure if you can actually work 20 hours a week in off season but seriously what sport is only 20 hours a week in season.
* Net Income without you know gas, phone bills, toilet paper, alcohol and utilities.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 03:21 PM by DoubleDogDare.)
04-10-2014 03:18 PM
FBM2014 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMUDukes
Not all athletes qualify for a pell grant. And just because a families income may push them out of range for that grant doesnt mean they are rolling in extra cash.

There was a lot of assumption in that post.

By the way, Withers expects kids to take classes in the summer.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
04-10-2014 04:44 PM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

(04-10-2014 04:44 PM)FBM2014 Wrote:  Not all athletes qualify for a pell grant. And just because a families income may push them out of range for that grant doesnt mean they are rolling in extra cash.

There was a lot of assumption in that post.

By the way, Withers expects kids to take classes in the summer.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
My "assumptions" were based on averages of factual data points so I believe they are "estimates". Regardless I believe I was a lot closer to actual than Holyturf website04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 07:25 AM by DoubleDogDare.)
04-11-2014 07:24 AM
jmad1son Offline
Special Teams

(03-30-2014 10:34 PM)jmad1son Wrote:  
(03-30-2014 05:39 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  My stepson did not get accepted into Madison and I didn't even bother contacting admissions.
If he couldn't make it on his own merits, then he didn't deserve to be there.

Would it have been nice? Obviously. But now he is exactly where he should be based on his performance.

Would my donations have increased for the remainder of my life. Sure.

My niece did not get in and I told her that I would not go bat for her if she didn't have the credentials, and she didn't. She is now at Blue Ridge Community College in the JMU guaranteed program, as an out of state student, and is making the grades. If you want something in life, you need to earn it and she is learning a life lesson and is taking responsibility. I have a lot of respect for her in not giving up. She will eventually be a Duke and will appreciate it more versus having something handed to her. She is making me proud.

I am happy to report that my niece was accepted to JMU for the Spring semester without completing the JMU guaranteed program at Blue Ridge College. She was getting straight A's in the program and took a chance to apply early, and JMU accepted her. I am so proud that she did this on her own and never gave up. She is so excited. 03-thumbsup
11-11-2014 08:59 AM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(11-11-2014 08:59 AM)jmad1son Wrote:  
(03-30-2014 05:39 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  My stepson did not get accepted into Madison and I didn't even bother contacting admissions.

Would it have been nice? Obviously. But now he is exactly where he should be based on his performance.

My niece did not get in and I told her that I would not go bat for her if she didn't have the credentials, and she didn't. She is now at Blue Ridge Community College in the JMU guaranteed program, as an out of state student, and is making the grades. If you want something in life, you need to earn it and she is learning a life lesson and is taking responsibility. I have a lot of respect for her in not giving up. She will eventually be a Duke and will appreciate it more versus having something handed to her. She is making me proud.

I am happy to report that my niece was accepted to JMU for the Spring semester without completing the JMU guaranteed program at Blue Ridge College. She was getting straight A's in the program and took a chance to apply early, and JMU accepted her. I am so proud that she did this on her own and never gave up. She is so excited. 03-thumbsup

This is good stuff. Congrats to your niece.
11-11-2014 09:23 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES

Fantastic news!
11-11-2014 09:25 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Awesome!!!

If you don't mind me asking, are you saying she had one full year of her college behind her when she reapplied to JMU? If that is the case, when did she most recently submit an application?

My nephew, by marriage, only wanted JMU. He had the grades, but not the SAT score. He is now in his first year and first semester at Radford and making really good grades but he wants into JMU. He and his mother want to resubmit at the very earliest moment. Remember, he hasn't even completed one semester of college. Any advise is helpful.
11-11-2014 10:16 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU Endowment
(11-11-2014 10:16 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

Awesome!!!

If you don't mind me asking, are you saying she had one full year of her college behind her when she reapplied to JMU? If that is the case, when did she most recently submit an application?

My nephew, by marriage, only wanted JMU. He had the grades, but not the SAT score. He is now in his first year and first semester at Radford and making really good grades but he wants into JMU. He and his mother want to resubmit at the very earliest moment. Remember, he hasn't even completed one semester of college. Any advise is helpful.

I don't know if this would apply to his situation, but I knew someone who got straight a's her first semester at JMU and then immediately transferred in the spring of her freshman year. If he's got the grades at Radford, he should apply for transfer in the spring. I'd imagine he needs to hurry.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 11:28 AM by Potomac.)
11-11-2014 11:28 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

Awesome news ---- welcome to a 'new' Duke.
11-11-2014 11:45 AM
jmad1son Offline
Special Teams

Awesome!!!

She had a 1/2 year at East Stroudsburg U and then a full year at Blue Ridge. So a year and a 1/2 under her belt and then applied.
11-11-2014 03:21 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-11-2014 03:21 PM)jmad1son Wrote:  

Awesome!!!

She had a 1/2 year at East Stroudsburg U and then a full year at Blue Ridge. So a year and a 1/2 under her belt and then applied.

Thanks to you and Potomac!
11-11-2014 03:32 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(01-29-2014 09:36 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Oh, one more thing.

JMU is getting ready to launch a $150 million capital campaign. If you want the endowment to grow, support the campaign.

In which phase of secrecy is this campaign currently?
11-11-2014 06:40 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

JMU Endowment
(11-11-2014 06:40 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

JMU is getting ready to launch a $150 million capital campaign. If you want the endowment to grow, support the campaign.

No idea. The campaign and the Convo fund raising were supposed to mainstream by now.
11-11-2014 06:55 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(11-11-2014 06:55 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

No idea. The campaign and the Convo fund raising were supposed to mainstream by now.

Thanks...I was joking considering we have been told the convocation center campaign is secret and Alger's JMU is perpetually "getting ready" to do everything A-Z but seemingly never actually doing anything that is not behind closed doors or in a closed executive session of a board meeting.
11-11-2014 07:06 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

What does this campaign have to do with the endowment? Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I would think the answer is nothing or very little. I assume, maybe wrong, but a capital campaign is set about to raise money for a specific project or set of projects.

Whereas, people who contribute to an endowment (usually in large chunks and in many cases in the form of property, physical or financial, but it does come in cash as well) and these funds given to the endowment are not usually put to work for anything other than raising more cash. However, the interest and dividends from this endowment are the funds which are available for a school's general fund or may be used for designated projects as well.

I've not worded this very well and please feel free to step in and clarify. I think Longhorn has come forth with a better version of this a couple of years ago.
11-11-2014 07:19 PM
GeoJMU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU, CMU
(11-11-2014 07:19 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

What does this campaign have to do with the endowment? Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I would think the answer is nothing or very little. I assume, maybe wrong, but a capital campaign is set about to raise money for a specific project or set of projects.

Whereas, people who contribute to an endowment (usually in large chunks and in many cases in the form of property, physical or financial, but it does come in cash as well) and these funds given to the endowment are not usually put to work for anything other than raising more cash. However, the interest and dividends from this endowment are the funds which are available for a school's general fund or may be used for designated projects as well.

I've not worded this very well and please feel free to step in and clarify. I think Longhorn has come forth with a better version of this a couple of years ago.

I have absolutely no clue how endowments work but could more money for specific projects mean less money from the endowment to have to use on those projects? That would actually help grow the endowment. Again - no idea how these things work!
11-11-2014 07:24 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

JMU Endowment
Many campaigns are for scholarships, and by proxy, the endowment.

JMU's single largest hindrance in advancement is providing scholarships to the best and brightest. That has to change if we want JMU to take the next step. Rose/carrier were so focused on the physical plant that they neglected the endowment.
11-11-2014 07:30 PM
HotHamandCheese84 Offline
Special Teams

(11-11-2014 07:30 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Many campaigns are for scholarships, and by proxy, the endowment.

JMU's single largest hindrance in advancement is providing scholarships to the best and brightest. That has to change if we want JMU to take the next step. Rose/carrier were so focused on the physical plant that they neglected the endowment.

I agree. Look at the Madison Vision document. There is a case statement for the new Honors College and the case statement has a ton of scholarships that need to be funded to land the best and the brightest.
11-11-2014 08:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.