Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Weis in at KU Good hire or bad ?
Bookmark and Share
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Weis in at KU Good hire or bad ?
I like Weiss. I think he'll be a solid recruiter but I think he's also going to struggle. His style is more traditional Big 10 than the current style of the Big XII. I wish Weiss and Kansas the best of luck.
01-02-2012 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I'm not a Charlie Weis fan. I think making him a head coach is elevating him to his level of incompetence. But I could be wrong. Maybe he learned something from his Notre Dame fiasco. I doubt it. But we'll see...
01-02-2012 11:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AllPtsBulletin Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Old School
(12-10-2011 09:11 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Money being no object will help Kansas. But I'm not so sure a retread who couldn't cut it the first time around is a good choice. Weis is going to have to prove himself to me, and I doubt he can do it...

Well, the good thing is he only has to prove himself to recruits, not you. Since the last post in this thread, he's gotten Dave Campo and Tim Grunhard on board. Two NFL guys who can probably get some recruits to the next level as well.

While I definitely am not a close KU follower, this does raise an eyebrow.
01-14-2012 11:36 AM
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
(01-14-2012 11:36 AM)AllPtsBulletin Wrote:  
(12-10-2011 09:11 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Money being no object will help Kansas. But I'm not so sure a retread who couldn't cut it the first time around is a good choice. Weis is going to have to prove himself to me, and I doubt he can do it...

Well, the good thing is he only has to prove himself to recruits, not you. Since the last post in this thread, he's gotten Dave Campo and Tim Grunhard on board. Two NFL guys who can probably get some recruits to the next level as well.

He stole one of our recruits too, Parmalee (his Dad was in the NFL).

The problem with Weis was never recruiting as he typically got who he went after, Weis' problem had to do more with scouting (or lack thereof).

He seems to just go off of the Scouts or Rivals lists and gets "Paper Players" and ranks high in the "top recruiting class" lists, but that type of recruiting never directly translates to on the field. He still gets talent, but it's more hit-or-miss than all the "expert" lists indicate.

Good luck to KU, except when you come to DeKalb (9/22/12). GO HUSKIES!
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2012 01:00 PM by Howl-n-Prowl.)
01-14-2012 11:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin

He has put together a nice coaching staff, Dave Campo has been a NFL headcoach and even though he wasn't that great of a NFL HC it is impressive to get him at Kansas as a assistant.
01-14-2012 12:20 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(01-14-2012 12:20 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  

He has put together a nice coaching staff, Dave Campo has been a NFL headcoach and even though he wasn't that great of a NFL HC it is impressive to get him at Kansas as a assistant.
Weis had good coaches, AND NFL type talent at Notre Dame too. It didn't help him any...

Good luck to Kansas though. If he proves me wrong, more power to him...
01-14-2012 12:40 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
Weis appears to be in for 5 years, and Campo is going to be 65 when the season starts. I think that the task for this leadership group will be to get KU on the map, and attract some good recruits who would never have considered KU before. I am hopeful that they can get some good on-field results in this timeframe.

After that, the goal will be to sustain the program. It can be difficult to plan 5 years ahead, but I am hoping that Zenger (our AD) has mapped out a long-term vision for the program that would allow us to build on any success Weis and his staff have in their tenure. The Weis hire is a calculated risk, but I think that it's a good one.
01-16-2012 10:28 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I'm going to wait for Weis to put Kansas on the map first...
01-16-2012 12:25 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(01-14-2012 11:51 AM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  

He stole one of our recruits too, Parmalee (his Dad was in the NFL).

The problem with Weis was never recruiting as he typically got who he went after, Weis' problem had to do more with scouting (or lack thereof).

He seems to just go off of the Scouts or Rivals lists and gets "Paper Players" and ranks high in the "top recruiting class" lists, but that type of recruiting never directly translates to on the field. He still gets talent, but it's more hit-or-miss than all the "expert" lists indicate.

Good luck to KU, except when you come to DeKalb (9/22/12). GO HUSKIES!

Parmalee coached for Weis at ND. Grunhard is an ND alumnus, hence a connection for Weis.

Ianello and Powlus coached with Weis at ND as well.

The only non-ND connected coach I have seen Weis hire so far (not retained ones) is Dave Campo.
01-22-2012 08:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.