Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
RE: Weis in at KU Good hire or bad ?
(12-08-2011 07:54 PM)big bad bull 30 Wrote:  Leach was 1st choice

Was Dave Doeren ever a real candidate?

We were soiling our shorts on the NIU board.

All NIU fans are glad that DD is staying. Thanks for not stealing him.
12-08-2011 09:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cfbfan89 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: West Virjizzle
prolly a good hire just have to wait and see
12-09-2011 02:44 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
I agree. Seems like a solid hire on paper

Jackson
12-09-2011 06:23 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Seems like as good a hire as Leach was at Washington State - he can go there with no media pressure as KU is 99% basketball focused.
12-09-2011 01:05 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
Time will tell.. I don't know. Kansas is one of the hardest jobs in the country.
12-09-2011 03:50 PM
Advertisement

big bad bull 30 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: KANSAS
(12-09-2011 03:50 PM)wvucrazed Wrote:  Time will tell.. I don't know. Kansas is one of the hardest jobs in the country.

Kansas saying Weis will have 2-3 million for ass coaches , told to hire best staff possiable money is no object.

I LIKE THAT ALOT
12-10-2011 12:39 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Money being no object will help Kansas. But I'm not so sure a retread who couldn't cut it the first time around is a good choice. Weis is going to have to prove himself to me, and I doubt he can do it...
12-10-2011 09:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
Weis said all the right things in his introductory press conference. Whether has has indeed learned from his ND experience remains to be seen. I do think it's hard to use ND as a barometer for success or failure elsewhere to some extent, because it's truly a unique situation. It has many advantages, but it has disadvantages as well. With this hire KU does show a high level of commitment, and it was probably a good idea to bring publicity to the program by hiring a "name" coach, even if he has flaws. As has been noted, KU is a tough place to win in football, so we were going to have to settle for an imperfect hire. We do have a pretty new and superb weight facility, and we also recently built a quality football office complex. We have a national brand to trade off. Admittedly that brand is built on hoops, but even so there is some name recognition/familiarity that could be helpful in recruiting, and if we can get some football wins under our belt it could help open doors.
12-12-2011 01:12 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

(12-12-2011 01:12 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  Weis said all the right things in his introductory press conference. Whether has has indeed learned from his ND experience remains to be seen. I do think it's hard to use ND as a barometer for success or failure elsewhere to some extent, because it's truly a unique situation. It has many advantages, but it has disadvantages as well. With this hire KU does show a high level of commitment, and it was probably a good idea to bring publicity to the program by hiring a "name" coach, even if he has flaws. As has been noted, KU is a tough place to win in football, so we were going to have to settle for an imperfect hire. We do have a pretty new and superb weight facility, and we also recently built a quality football office complex. We have a national brand to trade off. Admittedly that brand is built on hoops, but even so there is some name recognition/familiarity that could be helpful in recruiting, and if we can get some football wins under our belt it could help open doors.

Good point about ND, it is indeed a unique situation and can be uniquely difficult given the pressures and expectations.

At Kansas, if he gets them to a minor bowl game his first few years and seems to be showing progress or at least keeping them competitive, he could probably last a good 5 to 7 years, which would be a nice run. The question is whether or not Kansas fans would settle for that, or if the Orange Bowl run from a few years back has changed the expectations.
12-12-2011 04:55 PM
big bad bull 30 Offline
Water Engineer

(12-12-2011 04:55 PM)wvucrazed Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 01:12 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  Weis said all the right things in his introductory press conference. Whether has has indeed learned from his ND experience remains to be seen. I do think it's hard to use ND as a barometer for success or failure elsewhere to some extent, because it's truly a unique situation. It has many advantages, but it has disadvantages as well. With this hire KU does show a high level of commitment, and it was probably a good idea to bring publicity to the program by hiring a "name" coach, even if he has flaws. As has been noted, KU is a tough place to win in football, so we were going to have to settle for an imperfect hire. We do have a pretty new and superb weight facility, and we also recently built a quality football office complex. We have a national brand to trade off. Admittedly that brand is built on hoops, but even so there is some name recognition/familiarity that could be helpful in recruiting, and if we can get some football wins under our belt it could help open doors.

Good point about ND, it is indeed a unique situation and can be uniquely difficult given the pressures and expectations.

At Kansas, if he gets them to a minor bowl game his first few years and seems to be showing progress or at least keeping them competitive, he could probably last a good 5 to 7 years, which would be a nice run. The question is whether or not Kansas fans would settle for that, or if the Orange Bowl run from a few years back has changed the expectations.

I think most Kansas fans expect a top 25 team and Weis has around 3-4 years to accomplish this. With steady improvement on the way.
12-12-2011 09:18 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I think most Kansas fans will be sadly dissappointed...
12-13-2011 11:56 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I think that KU fans' expectations have definitely risen, and the level of interest has also increased. On a local message board, I'm seeing more traffic on the football side than the basketball side even after the hire was finally announced, and that's right after we beat #2 in hoops. There's definitely rising interest and expectations.

Having said that, I don't know how high those expectations are. I do think that it would absolutely encompass regular bowl trips, and a consistently winning team. I don't know if we'd expect Top 25 every single year, but we'd want to see it regularly. There's a short honeymoon for Weis to get the ball rolling, and supposedly he told a local radio station this morning that he's planning to be here 5 years and then turn it over to an assistant. If that's the case, I'm sure it will be interesting to see who he hires as his coordinators, as one of those would be the likely designated successor.
12-13-2011 01:09 PM
big bad bull 30 Offline
Water Engineer

(12-13-2011 01:09 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  I think that KU fans' expectations have definitely risen, and the level of interest has also increased. On a local message board, I'm seeing more traffic on the football side than the basketball side even after the hire was finally announced, and that's right after we beat #2 in hoops. There's definitely rising interest and expectations.

Having said that, I don't know how high those expectations are. I do think that it would absolutely encompass regular bowl trips, and a consistently winning team. I don't know if we'd expect Top 25 every single year, but we'd want to see it regularly. There's a short honeymoon for Weis to get the ball rolling, and supposedly he told a local radio station this morning that he's planning to be here 5 years and then turn it over to an assistant. If that's the case, I'm sure it will be interesting to see who he hires as his coordinators, as one of those would be the likely designated successor.

I expect Levitt to be hired as D- Cor in the near future , which would be outstanding.
12-14-2011 05:39 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

Leavitt would be a good D-Coordinator, but since he'd be 60 in 5 years I doubt that he'd be the designated successor if Weis leaves at that time.
12-15-2011 11:30 AM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

Yeah, and sometimes the notion of a designated successor doesn't work out quite the way it's intended. Things change, etc.
12-16-2011 10:38 AM
Advertisement

BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

Good point on the "designated successor" history. You never know when a better offer can come along, or the current coach decides that he wants to stay longer after all, or how much stability such a designation really creates. While his declaration of a 5 year window shows honesty on his part, from the start it does create some recruiting vulnerabilities. I'm eager to see what will happen with the completion of his staff.
12-16-2011 11:35 AM
Fear The Frog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TCU
I hope Weis works out well For KU... So I think it's a lot better hired then Turner Gill was; and i was a fan of his...

But making bowls in the Big 12 should be look good upon..couple top 25 season be fantastic, but this Conference going be hard...

There has been A lot more fan interested in the Football team, so that's always good, even when it's basketball season..

I'll trade off 2 looses a year to the basketball team, for the 1 win a year in football.. All the best KU fans..
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2011 03:18 PM by Fear The Frog.)
12-16-2011 03:17 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

Gill is a good man. It just seems that he's not suited for this level of competition. KU has had a recent series of yin-yang coaching hires. We have had a series of "nice guy" coaches who fare poorly, followed by disciplinarians who had greater success but who did not stay for the long term for one reason or another. We've made some serious commitments in facilities to help the program, so if someone can have success without having off-the-field issues, it should be more attractive as a longer-term destination.

I wish we hadn't lost some long-term conference members in recent years, but I'm excited about the Frogs and Mountaineers joining the league. It should be fun.

Edited to add: Whatever happens on the field this fall, there's no doubt that Weis' hire has raised the level of interest among fans. Using the KUSports.com message boards as a quick barometer of interest, it used to be that off-season basketball drew more viewers than in-season football. In the last several weeks, it has consistently been the opposite, with the football board drawing more traffic than the in-season hoops board.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2011 11:51 AM by BewareThePhog.)
12-16-2011 05:19 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
He already brought in 2 QB's, if these guys live up to thier billing, he covered for next 3 yrs
12-30-2011 10:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.