CSNbbs
Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel (W 73-71) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+------ Forum: Buc Basketball (/forum-339.html)
+------ Thread: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel (W 73-71) (/thread-841329.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel (W 73-71) - ETSUfan1 - 01-28-2018 03:38 PM

Date: January 29th, 2018

Time: 6:00 PM

Opponent: The Citadel (7-13, 2-6 SoCon)

Place: McAlister Field House

Television: none

Webcast: ESPN 3

Radio online: 640WXSM.com

Citadel 2017-2018 Schedule

Citadel 2017-2018 Roster

Citadel Message Board

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - ETSUfan1 - 01-28-2018 03:38 PM

Note the start time. 6pm.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - ETSUfan#2 - 01-28-2018 04:42 PM

This to me feels like a potential trap game scenario. Coming off a high profile road win against one of the top teams in the SoCon, now going to play one of the teams near the bottom, I hope Forbes has them keeping their eyes on the prize and not getting overconfident or anything. ETSU for the most part controls it's own destiny at this point.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - BucFan1244 - 01-28-2018 08:07 PM

(01-28-2018 04:42 PM)ETSUfan#2 Wrote:  This to me feels like a potential trap game scenario. Coming off a high profile road win against one of the top teams in the SoCon, now going to play one of the teams near the bottom, I hope Forbes has them keeping their eyes on the prize and not getting overconfident or anything. ETSU for the most part controls it's own destiny at this point.
Its the citadel... calm your jets...

Sent from my SM-G930P using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - swvabucsfan - 01-28-2018 09:48 PM

Right..... "its the Citadel". Calm down! Sounds like what Mercer fans were saying. Before the Citadel knocked them off.

One of the problems that comes with a little success is overconfidence. And we're getting full doses of it from some of our less experienced posters. I'm thinking of the guy crowing about the weakness of Samford, as well as the post above.

The one great strength that the Bucs have displayed this year is the consistent, relentless attack. Showing up every night ready to take care of business and tearing into the other guy will make up for a lot of errors. The Wofford announcers called it the boa constrictor treatment: squeeze and keep squeezing till the other guy gives up. BigIslandBuc calls it the "grind, grind, grind" attitude.

Whatever you call it, the relentless team attitude that has been on display since the Troy game is something that we haven't seen this consistently in a Buc team for awhile. It's something that's easy enough to lose, too. Just start saying "its the Citadel", "its VMI" or its Samford who is bad with or without Walker.

Walk into games repeating that and a few of those teams are going to teach you about trap games. Its amazing how hard it is to turn it on when the other guy has got it going and you haven't come ready to play.

The Bucs haven't done much yet. They are just beginning to show what they might do. Way too soon to get the overconfidence thing going. Just like it was way too soon to start moaning the first few games of the season after a bad loss to NKU and another bad loss to Troy. It's kind of handy that Fan1 has pulled up that thread. The Bucs need to continue taking care of business every night if they want to maximize their chances and be ready to strike a blow where it really counts. It would be a shame to give that up just when you're beginning to get known for it.

Yes, "its the Citadel". Be ready for them.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - BucFan1244 - 01-28-2018 10:37 PM

(01-28-2018 09:48 PM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  Right..... "its the Citadel". Calm down! Sounds like what Mercer fans were saying. Before the Citadel knocked them off.

One of the problems that comes with a little success is overconfidence. And we're getting full doses of it from some of our less experienced posters. I'm thinking of the guy crowing about the weakness of Samford, as well as the post above.

The one great strength that the Bucs have displayed this year is the consistent, relentless attack. Showing up every night ready to take care of business and tearing into the other guy will make up for a lot of errors. The Wofford announcers called it the boa constrictor treatment: squeeze and keep squeezing till the other guy gives up. BigIslandBuc calls it the "grind, grind, grind" attitude.

Whatever you call it, the relentless team attitude that has been on display since the Troy game is something that we haven't seen this consistently in a Buc team for awhile. It's something that's easy enough to lose, too. Just start saying "its the Citadel", "its VMI" or its Samford who is bad with or without Walker.

Walk into games repeating that and a few of those teams are going to teach you about trap games. Its amazing how hard it is to turn it on when the other guy has got it going and you haven't come ready to play.

The Bucs haven't done much yet. They are just beginning to show what they might do. Way too soon to get the overconfidence thing going. Just like it was way too soon to start moaning the first few games of the season after a bad loss to NKU and another bad loss to Troy. It's kind of handy that Fan1 has pulled up that thread. The Bucs need to continue taking care of business every night if they want to maximize their chances and be ready to strike a blow where it really counts. It would be a shame to give that up just when you're beginning to get known for it.

Oh high and mighty swvabucsfan please show me the way and the light that I clearly do not withhold. :)

Seriously though... It is the damn citadel... I will not take a vmi or citadel game seriously when we are this good.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - Wadood Abides - 01-29-2018 06:03 AM

What difference does it make if I am "overconfident"?

I am not playing in the games and my views or comments or state of mind have nothing to do with game outcome. I have seen posters here warn about "looking ahead" and emphasize that we must take them one game at a time etc. Again, I am not suiting up. I can look ahead all I want. I can be mega confident that we'll win by fifty. My experience as a poster doesn't connote inexperience as a human nor does a thousand posts mean one has logic on his side.

I think we crush the next four opponents by a combined 100 points.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - Running_Fool15 - 01-29-2018 10:34 AM

(01-28-2018 10:37 PM)BucFan1244 Wrote:  
(01-28-2018 09:48 PM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  Right..... "its the Citadel". Calm down! Sounds like what Mercer fans were saying. Before the Citadel knocked them off.

Oh high and mighty swvabucsfan please show me the way and the light that I clearly do not withhold. :)

Seriously though... It is the damn citadel... I will not take a vmi or citadel game seriously when we are this good.

Then you are a fool. Yes, we should win this game by 15-30 points, no doubt. And yes, I think we will. But to say we are incapable of losing and that overconfidence is fine is just not smart. The moment the Bucs stop pressing the gas is when one of these teams will take them.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - shampoo - 01-29-2018 11:05 AM

Wofford was so scared they couldn’t even attempt the jump to start the game. Oh snap. ETSU to the moon and back.

Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - ETSUfan1 - 01-29-2018 11:22 AM

(01-29-2018 06:03 AM)Wadood Abides Wrote:  What difference does it make if I am "overconfident"?

I am not playing in the games and my views or comments or state of mind have nothing to do with game outcome. I have seen posters here warn about "looking ahead" and emphasize that we must take them one game at a time etc. Again, I am not suiting up. I can look ahead all I want. I can be mega confident that we'll win by fifty. My experience as a poster doesn't connote inexperience as a human nor does a thousand posts mean one has logic on his side.

He has a good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - PreacherPurl - 01-29-2018 11:25 AM

(01-29-2018 06:03 AM)Wadood Abides Wrote:  What difference does it make if I am "overconfident"?

LMAO!! You're breaking all the sacred rules now! How dare you think fan opinions don't effect game outcomes! Do you REALLY believe PLAYERS and COACHES win games???? 01-lauramac203-hissyfit05-stirthepot

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - Running_Fool15 - 01-29-2018 11:50 AM

(01-29-2018 11:25 AM)PreacherPurl Wrote:  

LMAO!! You're breaking all the sacred rules now! How dare you think fan opinions don't effect game outcomes! Do you REALLY believe PLAYERS and COACHES win games???? 01-lauramac203-hissyfit05-stirthepot

Touche, and fair point. However, my PERSONAL opinion is that it is foolish to overlook any team, no matter how terrible they may be.

I agree, we probably do beat our next 4 opponents by a combined 100 points. But I seriously doubt Forbes is telling the team that...

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 01-29-2018 01:13 PM

(01-29-2018 11:50 AM)Running_Fool15 Wrote:  
(01-29-2018 11:25 AM)PreacherPurl Wrote:  

Touche, and fair point. However, my PERSONAL opinion is that it is foolish to overlook any team, no matter how terrible they may be.

I agree, we probably do beat our next 4 opponents by a combined 100 points. But I seriously doubt Forbes is telling the team that...

To say that "overconfidence" doesn't 'bleed' over onto the team is naïve. I don't suit up, either (and I'm personally *not* overconfident), but there is just an aura that develops, and then can *en*velop a team. This team certainly doesn't act like that's going on. But to say it *can't* just isn't wise - and bespeaks a lack of maturity and life experience. We've all seen it from time to time in most all sports. When you're 18-21 years old, it's quite difficult to recognize such stuff. I'm pretty sure BucFan1244 is kinda on the young side, compared to most of us (and I don't mean that as disrespectful). I'm absolutely not saying this phenomenon is occurring. I'm saying it *can* occur. If you think the team, or some of them, aren't reading their press, and/or this board, and/or hearing lofty praises from their friends, then that's just naïve.

Yes, ultimately it plays out on the court. But what happens off the court can, and does, affect the mindset before stepping out onto said court.

P.S. - I'd be tempted to take the under on the 100. Just sayin'.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - seagrove10 - 01-29-2018 01:24 PM

"They are not a selfish bunch whatsoever," Baucom said. "They really pass it and don't have any weaknesses. I think he gives them tons of freedom offensively, as long as they guard people. And they do."

Citadel coach Baucom's comments in the Charleston paper this morning. Speaks well of our team/coaches and probably is a big key to all our wins.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - BucFan1244 - 01-29-2018 02:35 PM

(01-29-2018 10:34 AM)Running_Fool15 Wrote:  

Then you are a fool. Yes, we should win this game by 15-30 points, no doubt. And yes, I think we will. But to say we are incapable of losing and that overconfidence is fine is just not smart. The moment the Bucs stop pressing the gas is when one of these teams will take them.

We could win against citadel with starting the second squad, playing blindfolded, and with 3 players getting leg amputations the day before.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - Running_Fool15 - 01-29-2018 02:54 PM

I again want to repeat, I am in no way predicting a Citadel victory. I think we beat them by 20-30 points. To say it's impossible for them to beat us is exceptionally naive though.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - squeak - 01-29-2018 02:59 PM

(01-29-2018 02:35 PM)BucFan1244 Wrote:  
(01-29-2018 10:34 AM)Running_Fool15 Wrote:  

We could win against citadel with starting the second squad, playing blindfolded, and with 3 players getting leg amputations the day before.

[attachment=9320]

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - BaseballPops - 01-29-2018 03:40 PM

Going to be a shellacking in Charleston this afternoon/evening with Forbes and Co administering the punishment. Early tip, Bucs are ready to TCB and get on back to East Tennessee.

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - shampoo - 01-29-2018 03:44 PM

(01-29-2018 01:24 PM)seagrove10 Wrote:  "They are not a selfish bunch whatsoever," Baucom said. "They really pass it and don't have any weaknesses. I think he gives them tons of freedom offensively, as long as they guard people. And they do."

Citadel coach Baucom's comments in the Charleston paper this morning. Speaks well of our team/coaches and probably is a big key to all our wins.

“I expect to get blown out by 20-30 tonight,” Baucom continued, “but closer to 20 would be cool seeing as we’re at home and all.”

RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel - etsuandpurdue3 - 01-29-2018 06:21 PM

Bad offense and letting them dictate the pace.