Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel (W 73-71)
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel (W 73-71)
Date: January 29th, 2018

Time: 6:00 PM

Opponent: The Citadel (7-13, 2-6 SoCon)

Place: McAlister Field House

Television: none

Webcast: ESPN 3

Radio online: 640WXSM.com

Citadel 2017-2018 Schedule

Citadel 2017-2018 Roster

Citadel Message Board
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018 08:27 PM by ETSUfan1.)
01-28-2018 03:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
RE: Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel
Note the start time. 6pm.
01-28-2018 03:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan#2 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU, Tennessee, Vermont
This to me feels like a potential trap game scenario. Coming off a high profile road win against one of the top teams in the SoCon, now going to play one of the teams near the bottom, I hope Forbes has them keeping their eyes on the prize and not getting overconfident or anything. ETSU for the most part controls it's own destiny at this point.
01-28-2018 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BucFan1244 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
(01-28-2018 04:42 PM)ETSUfan#2 Wrote:  This to me feels like a potential trap game scenario. Coming off a high profile road win against one of the top teams in the SoCon, now going to play one of the teams near the bottom, I hope Forbes has them keeping their eyes on the prize and not getting overconfident or anything. ETSU for the most part controls it's own destiny at this point.
Its the citadel... calm your jets...

Sent from my SM-G930P using CSNbbs mobile app
01-28-2018 08:07 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

Right..... "its the Citadel". Calm down! Sounds like what Mercer fans were saying. Before the Citadel knocked them off.

One of the problems that comes with a little success is overconfidence. And we're getting full doses of it from some of our less experienced posters. I'm thinking of the guy crowing about the weakness of Samford, as well as the post above.

The one great strength that the Bucs have displayed this year is the consistent, relentless attack. Showing up every night ready to take care of business and tearing into the other guy will make up for a lot of errors. The Wofford announcers called it the boa constrictor treatment: squeeze and keep squeezing till the other guy gives up. BigIslandBuc calls it the "grind, grind, grind" attitude.

Whatever you call it, the relentless team attitude that has been on display since the Troy game is something that we haven't seen this consistently in a Buc team for awhile. It's something that's easy enough to lose, too. Just start saying "its the Citadel", "its VMI" or its Samford who is bad with or without Walker.

Walk into games repeating that and a few of those teams are going to teach you about trap games. Its amazing how hard it is to turn it on when the other guy has got it going and you haven't come ready to play.

The Bucs haven't done much yet. They are just beginning to show what they might do. Way too soon to get the overconfidence thing going. Just like it was way too soon to start moaning the first few games of the season after a bad loss to NKU and another bad loss to Troy. It's kind of handy that Fan1 has pulled up that thread. The Bucs need to continue taking care of business every night if they want to maximize their chances and be ready to strike a blow where it really counts. It would be a shame to give that up just when you're beginning to get known for it.

Yes, "its the Citadel". Be ready for them.
01-28-2018 09:48 PM
BucFan1244 Offline
Special Teams

(01-28-2018 09:48 PM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  Right..... "its the Citadel". Calm down! Sounds like what Mercer fans were saying. Before the Citadel knocked them off.

One of the problems that comes with a little success is overconfidence. And we're getting full doses of it from some of our less experienced posters. I'm thinking of the guy crowing about the weakness of Samford, as well as the post above.

The one great strength that the Bucs have displayed this year is the consistent, relentless attack. Showing up every night ready to take care of business and tearing into the other guy will make up for a lot of errors. The Wofford announcers called it the boa constrictor treatment: squeeze and keep squeezing till the other guy gives up. BigIslandBuc calls it the "grind, grind, grind" attitude.

Whatever you call it, the relentless team attitude that has been on display since the Troy game is something that we haven't seen this consistently in a Buc team for awhile. It's something that's easy enough to lose, too. Just start saying "its the Citadel", "its VMI" or its Samford who is bad with or without Walker.

Walk into games repeating that and a few of those teams are going to teach you about trap games. Its amazing how hard it is to turn it on when the other guy has got it going and you haven't come ready to play.

The Bucs haven't done much yet. They are just beginning to show what they might do. Way too soon to get the overconfidence thing going. Just like it was way too soon to start moaning the first few games of the season after a bad loss to NKU and another bad loss to Troy. It's kind of handy that Fan1 has pulled up that thread. The Bucs need to continue taking care of business every night if they want to maximize their chances and be ready to strike a blow where it really counts. It would be a shame to give that up just when you're beginning to get known for it.

Oh high and mighty swvabucsfan please show me the way and the light that I clearly do not withhold. :)

Seriously though... It is the damn citadel... I will not take a vmi or citadel game seriously when we are this good.
01-28-2018 10:37 PM
Advertisement

Wadood Abides Offline
Bench Warmer

What difference does it make if I am "overconfident"?

I am not playing in the games and my views or comments or state of mind have nothing to do with game outcome. I have seen posters here warn about "looking ahead" and emphasize that we must take them one game at a time etc. Again, I am not suiting up. I can look ahead all I want. I can be mega confident that we'll win by fifty. My experience as a poster doesn't connote inexperience as a human nor does a thousand posts mean one has logic on his side.

I think we crush the next four opponents by a combined 100 points.
01-29-2018 06:03 AM
Running_Fool15 Offline
1st String

(01-28-2018 10:37 PM)BucFan1244 Wrote:  
(01-28-2018 09:48 PM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  Right..... "its the Citadel". Calm down! Sounds like what Mercer fans were saying. Before the Citadel knocked them off.

Oh high and mighty swvabucsfan please show me the way and the light that I clearly do not withhold. :)

Seriously though... It is the damn citadel... I will not take a vmi or citadel game seriously when we are this good.

Then you are a fool. Yes, we should win this game by 15-30 points, no doubt. And yes, I think we will. But to say we are incapable of losing and that overconfidence is fine is just not smart. The moment the Bucs stop pressing the gas is when one of these teams will take them.
01-29-2018 10:34 AM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
Wofford was so scared they couldn’t even attempt the jump to start the game. Oh snap. ETSU to the moon and back.
01-29-2018 11:05 AM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Official Game Thread: @ The Citadel
(01-29-2018 06:03 AM)Wadood Abides Wrote:  What difference does it make if I am "overconfident"?

I am not playing in the games and my views or comments or state of mind have nothing to do with game outcome. I have seen posters here warn about "looking ahead" and emphasize that we must take them one game at a time etc. Again, I am not suiting up. I can look ahead all I want. I can be mega confident that we'll win by fifty. My experience as a poster doesn't connote inexperience as a human nor does a thousand posts mean one has logic on his side.

He has a good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-29-2018 11:22 AM
PreacherPurl Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-29-2018 06:03 AM)Wadood Abides Wrote:  What difference does it make if I am "overconfident"?

LMAO!! You're breaking all the sacred rules now! How dare you think fan opinions don't effect game outcomes! Do you REALLY believe PLAYERS and COACHES win games???? 01-lauramac203-hissyfit05-stirthepot
01-29-2018 11:25 AM
Advertisement

Running_Fool15 Offline
1st String

(01-29-2018 11:25 AM)PreacherPurl Wrote:  

LMAO!! You're breaking all the sacred rules now! How dare you think fan opinions don't effect game outcomes! Do you REALLY believe PLAYERS and COACHES win games???? 01-lauramac203-hissyfit05-stirthepot

Touche, and fair point. However, my PERSONAL opinion is that it is foolish to overlook any team, no matter how terrible they may be.

I agree, we probably do beat our next 4 opponents by a combined 100 points. But I seriously doubt Forbes is telling the team that...
01-29-2018 11:50 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(01-29-2018 11:50 AM)Running_Fool15 Wrote:  
(01-29-2018 11:25 AM)PreacherPurl Wrote:  

Touche, and fair point. However, my PERSONAL opinion is that it is foolish to overlook any team, no matter how terrible they may be.

I agree, we probably do beat our next 4 opponents by a combined 100 points. But I seriously doubt Forbes is telling the team that...

To say that "overconfidence" doesn't 'bleed' over onto the team is naïve. I don't suit up, either (and I'm personally *not* overconfident), but there is just an aura that develops, and then can *en*velop a team. This team certainly doesn't act like that's going on. But to say it *can't* just isn't wise - and bespeaks a lack of maturity and life experience. We've all seen it from time to time in most all sports. When you're 18-21 years old, it's quite difficult to recognize such stuff. I'm pretty sure BucFan1244 is kinda on the young side, compared to most of us (and I don't mean that as disrespectful). I'm absolutely not saying this phenomenon is occurring. I'm saying it *can* occur. If you think the team, or some of them, aren't reading their press, and/or this board, and/or hearing lofty praises from their friends, then that's just naïve.

Yes, ultimately it plays out on the court. But what happens off the court can, and does, affect the mindset before stepping out onto said court.

P.S. - I'd be tempted to take the under on the 100. Just sayin'.
01-29-2018 01:13 PM
seagrove10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
"They are not a selfish bunch whatsoever," Baucom said. "They really pass it and don't have any weaknesses. I think he gives them tons of freedom offensively, as long as they guard people. And they do."

Citadel coach Baucom's comments in the Charleston paper this morning. Speaks well of our team/coaches and probably is a big key to all our wins.
01-29-2018 01:24 PM
BucFan1244 Offline
Special Teams

(01-29-2018 10:34 AM)Running_Fool15 Wrote:  

Then you are a fool. Yes, we should win this game by 15-30 points, no doubt. And yes, I think we will. But to say we are incapable of losing and that overconfidence is fine is just not smart. The moment the Bucs stop pressing the gas is when one of these teams will take them.

We could win against citadel with starting the second squad, playing blindfolded, and with 3 players getting leg amputations the day before.
01-29-2018 02:35 PM
Running_Fool15 Offline
1st String

I again want to repeat, I am in no way predicting a Citadel victory. I think we beat them by 20-30 points. To say it's impossible for them to beat us is exceptionally naive though.
01-29-2018 02:54 PM
Advertisement

squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-29-2018 02:35 PM)BucFan1244 Wrote:  
(01-29-2018 10:34 AM)Running_Fool15 Wrote:  

We could win against citadel with starting the second squad, playing blindfolded, and with 3 players getting leg amputations the day before.

[attachment=9320]
01-29-2018 02:59 PM
BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

Going to be a shellacking in Charleston this afternoon/evening with Forbes and Co administering the punishment. Early tip, Bucs are ready to TCB and get on back to East Tennessee.
01-29-2018 03:40 PM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
(01-29-2018 01:24 PM)seagrove10 Wrote:  "They are not a selfish bunch whatsoever," Baucom said. "They really pass it and don't have any weaknesses. I think he gives them tons of freedom offensively, as long as they guard people. And they do."

Citadel coach Baucom's comments in the Charleston paper this morning. Speaks well of our team/coaches and probably is a big key to all our wins.

“I expect to get blown out by 20-30 tonight,” Baucom continued, “but closer to 20 would be cool seeing as we’re at home and all.”
01-29-2018 03:44 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
Bad offense and letting them dictate the pace.
01-29-2018 06:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.