CSNbbs
Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title (/thread-830464.html)

Pages: 1 2

Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Atlanta - 10-18-2017 05:09 PM

Steve Spurrier thinks Memphis, UCF, USF and some others "can really play ball" & deserve an opportunity to play for the nat'l title. Thinks the playoffs should be expanded to 8 teams. Said this on ESPN Radio with Mark Packer this afternoon, who agreed these schools deserve a chance to play for title. They included SDSU & Boise St. too as good programs deserving the opportunity. Spurrier pointed out that expanding the playoff to 8 schools would only mean one more game for two schools.

This came up from a call-in where Spurrier also complimented Coach Norvell, saying there are several schools in the SEC that could benefit from his ability.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Mimi - 10-18-2017 06:09 PM

Cool.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - memphisike - 10-18-2017 08:48 PM

This Dude knows football

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Hernando Hills Tiger - 10-18-2017 08:53 PM

And is funny as hell.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Smith - 10-18-2017 09:49 PM

Was a good quarterback

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Hernando Hills Tiger - 10-18-2017 09:53 PM

and kicker.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - 450bench - 10-18-2017 10:41 PM

And coach.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - AlonsoWDC - 10-19-2017 12:43 AM

(10-18-2017 10:41 PM)450bench Wrote:  And coach.

He was, at least, until his personal definition of coaching included mailing it in, golfing instead of recruiting, golfing instead of giving the proper devotion to the job for the kids he did recruit, and ultimately, quitting in the middle of the godd*amned season on his kids.

But I think pre-South Carolina (or even until 2012 or so) he was a pretty good coach.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - GermantownTiger - 10-19-2017 07:07 AM

While I personally would love a 16-team playoff, I believe an 8-team playoff will happen within the next 2 or 3 years as the money folks realize the amazing revenues derived from the interest in these games.

With the NFL ratings going to hell in a hand basket, a bigger BCS football playoff could easily fill the void provided the "kneeling" virus doesn't corrupt the college game.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Atlanta - 10-19-2017 07:53 AM

Seems like a no-brainer to go to an 8 school playoff. It only adds one game & that only for the two schools who play for the nat'l title. For the rest of the 8 schools it would be no more games potentially than under the current 4 school format.

Resistance could come from P5 not wanting to potentially lose to an AAC school or one of the G4 schools. But I think that will be overcome by assuring each of the P5 conferences that there conference champ will be included. I doubt it would happen but it would be great to also insure that the AAC champ would be included & have the remaining two slots taken by the highest ranked non-conference champions. But, even if the AAC is again lumped with the G4, but guaranteed at least one slot as the highest ranked conference champ, then it would be a big plus for the AAC. A secondary benefit might also be that P5 schools might over time begin to play AAC schools knowing there are more slot available for the playoff.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Marc Mensa - 10-19-2017 08:05 AM

If including Memphis et al generates more revenue then they’ll consider it. If not, they won’t. It has nothing to do with football.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Atlanta - 10-19-2017 08:45 AM

(10-19-2017 08:05 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  If including Memphis et al generates more revenue then they’ll consider it. If not, they won’t. It has nothing to do with football.

It will obviously generate more revenue, especially with the NFL freefall. Seems inevitable but it would seem only reasonable for the NFL to require its employees to stand for the national anthem too - so may additional revenues (or sustaining revenues in the case of the NFL) aren't enough to guide decisions.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Bill83 - 10-19-2017 11:45 AM

I loved those games against him in the USFL

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Tiger57 - 10-19-2017 11:57 AM

(10-19-2017 12:43 AM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  

He was, at least, until his personal definition of coaching included mailing it in, golfing instead of recruiting, golfing instead of giving the proper devotion to the job for the kids he did recruit, and ultimately, quitting in the middle of the godd*amned season on his kids.

But I think pre-South Carolina (or even until 2012 or so) he was a pretty good coach.

He did better at South Carolina than any previous coach. He just got too old to recruit. Happens to everyone. Hopefully one day you will get old enough to understand.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - jamgut - 10-19-2017 12:09 PM

Always enjoyed his jabs at the Vols when he was coach of the Gators.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - chrisd11 - 10-19-2017 12:41 PM

(10-19-2017 11:57 AM)Tiger57 Wrote:  

He did better at South Carolina than any previous coach. He just got too old to recruit. Happens to everyone. Hopefully one day you will get old enough to understand.

Yep. He went 11-2 3 straight years at SC....and won the bowl game all 3 years.

In 11 years, only one losing record (2-4....retired mid-season)

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - geosnooker2000 - 10-19-2017 12:51 PM

After all these years, I think I finally see the point of view from the media in not expanding to a 16 team playoff. As it is right now, the ESPN type shows, the radio talkers, the college football final shows every Sat. night (or whenever) can argue on and on about "who's in" and legit arguments are raised for the 5th and 6th teams (and some others). It gives them subject matter. You go to conference champs auto bid, then what's left to argue? The "argue" is what makes college football what it is. Right?

So I can see them bumping up to 8 teams, but I highly doubt it would be tied to conference champs auto bids, and they just drop down the arguing to the 9th and 10th ranked teams. They *might* throw an auto bid to the highest ranking G4, but I kind of doubt that. Nor would I want it. The best 8 teams.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - bariggins98 - 10-19-2017 02:36 PM

(10-19-2017 12:09 PM)jamgut Wrote:  Always enjoyed his jabs at the Vols when he was coach of the Gators.

"Knox County Champs 1996" was my favorite.

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - Atlanta - 10-19-2017 02:48 PM

Too old & wealthy to WANT to recruit........

RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title - macgar32 - 10-19-2017 03:54 PM

(10-19-2017 02:48 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  

Too old & wealthy to WANT to recruit........

You tee'ed it up