Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title
Bookmark and Share
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title
Steve Spurrier thinks Memphis, UCF, USF and some others "can really play ball" & deserve an opportunity to play for the nat'l title. Thinks the playoffs should be expanded to 8 teams. Said this on ESPN Radio with Mark Packer this afternoon, who agreed these schools deserve a chance to play for title. They included SDSU & Boise St. too as good programs deserving the opportunity. Spurrier pointed out that expanding the playoff to 8 schools would only mean one more game for two schools.

This came up from a call-in where Spurrier also complimented Coach Norvell, saying there are several schools in the SEC that could benefit from his ability.
10-18-2017 05:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
RE: Spurrier Says Memphis Should Have a Shot at Nat'l Title
Cool.
10-18-2017 06:09 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
This Dude knows football
10-18-2017 08:48 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
And is funny as hell.
10-18-2017 08:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
Was a good quarterback
10-18-2017 09:49 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
and kicker.
10-18-2017 09:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
And coach.
10-18-2017 10:41 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2017 10:41 PM)450bench Wrote:  And coach.

He was, at least, until his personal definition of coaching included mailing it in, golfing instead of recruiting, golfing instead of giving the proper devotion to the job for the kids he did recruit, and ultimately, quitting in the middle of the godd*amned season on his kids.

But I think pre-South Carolina (or even until 2012 or so) he was a pretty good coach.
10-19-2017 12:43 AM
GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

While I personally would love a 16-team playoff, I believe an 8-team playoff will happen within the next 2 or 3 years as the money folks realize the amazing revenues derived from the interest in these games.

With the NFL ratings going to hell in a hand basket, a bigger BCS football playoff could easily fill the void provided the "kneeling" virus doesn't corrupt the college game.
10-19-2017 07:07 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

Seems like a no-brainer to go to an 8 school playoff. It only adds one game & that only for the two schools who play for the nat'l title. For the rest of the 8 schools it would be no more games potentially than under the current 4 school format.

Resistance could come from P5 not wanting to potentially lose to an AAC school or one of the G4 schools. But I think that will be overcome by assuring each of the P5 conferences that there conference champ will be included. I doubt it would happen but it would be great to also insure that the AAC champ would be included & have the remaining two slots taken by the highest ranked non-conference champions. But, even if the AAC is again lumped with the G4, but guaranteed at least one slot as the highest ranked conference champ, then it would be a big plus for the AAC. A secondary benefit might also be that P5 schools might over time begin to play AAC schools knowing there are more slot available for the playoff.
10-19-2017 07:53 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
If including Memphis et al generates more revenue then they’ll consider it. If not, they won’t. It has nothing to do with football.
10-19-2017 08:05 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-19-2017 08:05 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  If including Memphis et al generates more revenue then they’ll consider it. If not, they won’t. It has nothing to do with football.

It will obviously generate more revenue, especially with the NFL freefall. Seems inevitable but it would seem only reasonable for the NFL to require its employees to stand for the national anthem too - so may additional revenues (or sustaining revenues in the case of the NFL) aren't enough to guide decisions.
10-19-2017 08:45 AM
Bill83 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Megyn Kelly

Donators

I loved those games against him in the USFL
10-19-2017 11:45 AM
Tiger57 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers
(10-19-2017 12:43 AM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  

He was, at least, until his personal definition of coaching included mailing it in, golfing instead of recruiting, golfing instead of giving the proper devotion to the job for the kids he did recruit, and ultimately, quitting in the middle of the godd*amned season on his kids.

But I think pre-South Carolina (or even until 2012 or so) he was a pretty good coach.

He did better at South Carolina than any previous coach. He just got too old to recruit. Happens to everyone. Hopefully one day you will get old enough to understand.
10-19-2017 11:57 AM
jamgut Online
Bench Warmer

Always enjoyed his jabs at the Vols when he was coach of the Gators.
10-19-2017 12:09 PM
chrisd11 Offline
I came to party!!

I Root For: short skirts
(10-19-2017 11:57 AM)Tiger57 Wrote:  

He did better at South Carolina than any previous coach. He just got too old to recruit. Happens to everyone. Hopefully one day you will get old enough to understand.

Yep. He went 11-2 3 straight years at SC....and won the bowl game all 3 years.

In 11 years, only one losing record (2-4....retired mid-season)
10-19-2017 12:41 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
After all these years, I think I finally see the point of view from the media in not expanding to a 16 team playoff. As it is right now, the ESPN type shows, the radio talkers, the college football final shows every Sat. night (or whenever) can argue on and on about "who's in" and legit arguments are raised for the 5th and 6th teams (and some others). It gives them subject matter. You go to conference champs auto bid, then what's left to argue? The "argue" is what makes college football what it is. Right?

So I can see them bumping up to 8 teams, but I highly doubt it would be tied to conference champs auto bids, and they just drop down the arguing to the 9th and 10th ranked teams. They *might* throw an auto bid to the highest ranking G4, but I kind of doubt that. Nor would I want it. The best 8 teams.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 12:52 PM by geosnooker2000.)
10-19-2017 12:51 PM
bariggins98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
(10-19-2017 12:09 PM)jamgut Wrote:  Always enjoyed his jabs at the Vols when he was coach of the Gators.

"Knox County Champs 1996" was my favorite.
10-19-2017 02:36 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

Too old & wealthy to WANT to recruit........
10-19-2017 02:48 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(10-19-2017 02:48 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  

Too old & wealthy to WANT to recruit........

You tee'ed it up
10-19-2017 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.