CSNbbs
Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect (/thread-824140.html)

Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect - waltgreenberg - 08-14-2017 03:14 PM

Aaron Fitt of D1Baseball posted an article on the top prospects in the California Summer League, and Garrett Gayle made the cut. It's premium content, so I'm posted only the writeup on Gayle below...

Quote:Righthander Garrett Gayle (Rice) was one of the breakout prospects of the summer after logging just 1.1 innings as a freshman this spring. The 6-foot-1, 200-pounder worked to get his body into better shape this summer and cleaned up his delivery somewhat, helping him post a 4.1 K-BB mark for the Foresters between league play and the NBC World Series. He owns a lightning-quick arm that produced 92-96 mph heat, and he flashed an average slider at 81-83. Gayle doesn’t have a changeup and profiles as a reliever, but his fast arm makes him very intriguing. He’ll need to continue to develop his pitchability and do a better job putting hitters away when he’s ahead in the count.

Could be a set-up man or closer for us in 2018, assuming he can improve his slider and/or develop a change up. To put away hitter when ahead in the count you have to have a quality secondary pitch.

Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect - Owl1912 - 08-14-2017 09:39 PM

Good to hear. We need pitching pitching pitching and more pitching

RE: Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect - Owl1998 - 08-14-2017 10:20 PM

If someone could refresh my memory, what was the reason Gayle didn't pitch this past season? Injury?

RE: Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect - waltgreenberg - 08-14-2017 10:56 PM

(08-14-2017 10:20 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  If someone could refresh my memory, what was the reason Gayle didn't pitch this past season? Injury?

He couldn't find the strike zone-- in games or in bullpen sessions. In his 1.1 innings of competitive action, covering 3 different appearances, he walked 5, hit 2 batters and threw 2 wild pitches.

Next question?

RE: Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect - Owl1998 - 08-15-2017 06:33 AM

(08-14-2017 10:56 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 10:20 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  If someone could refresh my memory, what was the reason Gayle didn't pitch this past season? Injury?

He couldn't find the strike zone-- in games or in bullpen sessions. In his 1.1 innings of competitive action, covering 3 different appearances, he walked 5, hit 2 batters and threw 2 wild pitches.

Next question?

I wasn't being malicious, Walt. I knew there was a reason but I couldn't remember what it was. Your finishing quote of "Next question?" implies I was taking a shot at the OG for not pitching him. Geez, man.

RE: Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect - waltgreenberg - 08-15-2017 07:20 AM

(08-15-2017 06:33 AM)Owl1998 Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 10:56 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Next question?

I wasn't being malicious, Walt. I knew there was a reason but I couldn't remember what it was. Your finishing quote of "Next question?" implies I was taking a shot at the OG for not pitching him. Geez, man.

Sorry about that. Unfortunately, there are too many here who are all too quick to take shots at The OG.

RE: Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect - waltgreenberg - 09-11-2017 08:55 AM

Perfect Game just named Garrett Gayle as the #15 top prospect in this Summer's California College League. (Premium content and no individual writeup; just a table listing.)

RE: Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect - MemOwl - 09-13-2017 09:21 PM

I am also partial to "No. next question?" as a way of signalling that I hold a view that there is little room for debate on a certain question. And I'm generally one who likes to open debates, not close them.

Not intended personally. It is a rhetorical device in the age of social media.

I believed I used it here last when someone asked if last year's 5th year senior QB had NFL potential.

I liked Walt's answer to the "why only 1.1 innings question". the statistical precision was notable even by Walt's standards.