Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Aaron Fitt of D1Baseball posted an article on the top prospects in the California Summer League, and Garrett Gayle made the cut. It's premium content, so I'm posted only the writeup on Gayle below...

Quote:Righthander Garrett Gayle (Rice) was one of the breakout prospects of the summer after logging just 1.1 innings as a freshman this spring. The 6-foot-1, 200-pounder worked to get his body into better shape this summer and cleaned up his delivery somewhat, helping him post a 4.1 K-BB mark for the Foresters between league play and the NBC World Series. He owns a lightning-quick arm that produced 92-96 mph heat, and he flashed an average slider at 81-83. Gayle doesn’t have a changeup and profiles as a reliever, but his fast arm makes him very intriguing. He’ll need to continue to develop his pitchability and do a better job putting hitters away when he’s ahead in the count.

Could be a set-up man or closer for us in 2018, assuming he can improve his slider and/or develop a change up. To put away hitter when ahead in the count you have to have a quality secondary pitch.
08-14-2017 03:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl1912 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice
Good to hear. We need pitching pitching pitching and more pitching
08-14-2017 09:39 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Garrett Gayle Ranked A Top California League Prospect
If someone could refresh my memory, what was the reason Gayle didn't pitch this past season? Injury?
08-14-2017 10:20 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(08-14-2017 10:20 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  If someone could refresh my memory, what was the reason Gayle didn't pitch this past season? Injury?

He couldn't find the strike zone-- in games or in bullpen sessions. In his 1.1 innings of competitive action, covering 3 different appearances, he walked 5, hit 2 batters and threw 2 wild pitches.

Next question?
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2017 10:57 PM by waltgreenberg.)
08-14-2017 10:56 PM
Advertisement

Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

(08-14-2017 10:56 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 10:20 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  If someone could refresh my memory, what was the reason Gayle didn't pitch this past season? Injury?

He couldn't find the strike zone-- in games or in bullpen sessions. In his 1.1 innings of competitive action, covering 3 different appearances, he walked 5, hit 2 batters and threw 2 wild pitches.

Next question?

I wasn't being malicious, Walt. I knew there was a reason but I couldn't remember what it was. Your finishing quote of "Next question?" implies I was taking a shot at the OG for not pitching him. Geez, man.
08-15-2017 06:33 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(08-15-2017 06:33 AM)Owl1998 Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 10:56 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Next question?

I wasn't being malicious, Walt. I knew there was a reason but I couldn't remember what it was. Your finishing quote of "Next question?" implies I was taking a shot at the OG for not pitching him. Geez, man.

Sorry about that. Unfortunately, there are too many here who are all too quick to take shots at The OG.
08-15-2017 07:20 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Perfect Game just named Garrett Gayle as the #15 top prospect in this Summer's California College League. (Premium content and no individual writeup; just a table listing.)
09-11-2017 08:55 AM
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
I am also partial to "No. next question?" as a way of signalling that I hold a view that there is little room for debate on a certain question. And I'm generally one who likes to open debates, not close them.

Not intended personally. It is a rhetorical device in the age of social media.

I believed I used it here last when someone asked if last year's 5th year senior QB had NFL potential.

I liked Walt's answer to the "why only 1.1 innings question". the statistical precision was notable even by Walt's standards.
09-13-2017 09:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.