CSNbbs
Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit (/thread-780174.html)

Pages: 1 2

Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - Cyniclone - 05-17-2016 03:13 PM

He's suing for $4 million:

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/ex-odu-wrestler-suing-for-million-alleges-coaches-treated-concussions/article_d288632d-2695-55be-8696-e2dc17315397.html

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - Monarchist13 - 05-17-2016 03:24 PM

Sounds like an awful lot of hearsay. He's going to need a teamate to verify his claims and/or texts, emails or recordings of them ignoring his condition. Otherwise, this will be hard to prove, given they did refer him to a trainer and a provider when it was clear he had a problem.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - ODU_NYG - 05-17-2016 03:30 PM

this is an interesting part of the story:

"It was not immediately clear why the Old Dominion Athletic Foundation, which is the athletic department’s private fundraising arm, was named in the suit. Also named was the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, an NCAA Division III league based in Forest, Va."

why would he sue the ODAC? I suppose if the ODAF helps pay for Martins salary (I don't know if they do or not, my guess is the don't) I can see the reasoning for including them.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - Gilesfan - 05-17-2016 03:38 PM

Sounds like a mistake.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - paintedblue2 - 05-17-2016 03:45 PM

Hympden Sydney, where the wrestler was allegedly vomiting blood at a camp is a member of the ODAC.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - ODU_NYG - 05-17-2016 03:52 PM

(05-17-2016 03:45 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Hympden Sydney, where the wrestler was allegedly vomiting blood at a camp is a member of the ODAC.

ah, right. granby camp. I went there when I was in HS. martin, his brothers, and his dad were all coaches there. I don't think ODU was affiliated with it back then, but I could be wrong. makes sense for them to be now. I'm not a lawyer, but I think its a bit of a stretch for ODAC and/or HSC to be implicated in this. it was on their facility however.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - Cyniclone - 05-17-2016 05:01 PM

(05-17-2016 03:52 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 03:45 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Hympden Sydney, where the wrestler was allegedly vomiting blood at a camp is a member of the ODAC.

ah, right. granby camp. I went there when I was in HS. martin, his brothers, and his dad were all coaches there. I don't think ODU was affiliated with it back then, but I could be wrong. makes sense for them to be now. I'm not a lawyer, but I think its a bit of a stretch for ODAC and/or HSC to be implicated in this. it was on their facility however.

And it doesn't sound as though HSC is named in the suit. Does the conference hold liability for something that happens during a non-conference event at a member institution?

Could it be the lawyer was just going after anything ODU-related and thought the ODAC was somehow connected to ODU? Do Old Dominion Freight Line and the country band Old Dominion need to contact their legal representatives, just in case?

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - AimHigher - 05-17-2016 05:03 PM

Its unlike Martin. I had a career ending injury. Martin ushered me to every doctor appointment and even took me to his own doctor. This kid is probably looking for a pay day

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - AimHigher - 05-17-2016 05:05 PM

I went there when there was no AC in the dorms!!!

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - monarx - 05-17-2016 05:17 PM

Lawyers will throw anyone and everyone onto a lawsuit to see what sticks. They probably figure putting ODAF on the suit will put some pressure on ODU by donors to settle. The lawyers don't want this to drag out, they want to settle for a million or so, give the kid $500,000 and go on their way. They hope some donor in ODAF pressures ODU to do just that. If it goes to court they'll probably take ODAF and ODAC off the suit, and focus on Martin and ODU. It probably won't go that far unless they have a rock solid case.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - ODU_NYG - 05-17-2016 05:19 PM

(05-17-2016 05:05 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  I went there when there was no AC in the dorms!!!

I cant remember if there was AC in the dorms, but there sure wasn't in the gyms.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - AimHigher - 05-17-2016 11:59 PM

Your right no AC in the gyms also. My first year at camp I was responsible for carrying around ol man Martins box fan and what seemed to be 100ft of extension cord to every session. By the second week I got smart and started to take it back to the dorms at night.

Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in ... - ODU_NYG - 05-18-2016 07:10 AM

(05-17-2016 11:59 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  Your right no AC in the gyms also. My first year at camp I was responsible for carrying around ol man Martins box fan and what seemed to be 100ft of extension cord to every session. By the second week I got smart and started to take it back to the dorms at night.

Funny. You must have been a GB guy. What years? I was there summer of 90 and 91...no disrespect to old man Martin but did his hair piece have its own dorm room??

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - AimHigher - 05-18-2016 01:09 PM

(05-18-2016 07:10 AM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 11:59 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  Your right no AC in the gyms also. My first year at camp I was responsible for carrying around ol man Martins box fan and what seemed to be 100ft of extension cord to every session. By the second week I got smart and started to take it back to the dorms at night.

Funny. You must have been a GB guy. What years? I was there summer of 90 and 91...no disrespect to old man Martin but did his hair piece have its own dorm room??

Yea GB, Haha 03-lmfao that comb over was permanent!!! I was there from 93 to 01.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - AimHigher - 05-18-2016 06:29 PM

The wrestling community is really rallying around Coach Martin. I have seen several post on Facebook about the wrestler being a problem person and his false accusations. I talked with a buddy who was at this camp and stated he never heard or seen the wrestler have any medical issues at camp.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - Blue_Trombone - 05-19-2016 06:52 AM

Are we certain the lawyer didn't just look up "Old Dominion's Athletic Conference" (looking for the conference ODU played in), found ODAC and just called it a day?

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - MonGNARch - 05-19-2016 09:42 AM

(05-19-2016 06:52 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Are we certain the lawyer didn't just look up "Old Dominion's Athletic Conference" (looking for the conference ODU played in), found ODAC and just called it a day?

I had a weird suspicion that this is what happened when I read the article. It seems pretty lazy to me, especially with the mention of ODAF.

I don't want to throw this kid's statements away until we have heard everything because these are some pretty heavy accusations. But we will see what happens

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - ODUalum78 - 05-19-2016 03:49 PM

I am sorry to see this.

The ODAF, ODAC, etc links seem to be nothing more than a lawyer throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks.
I am not aware of any ODAF involvement in Coach Martin's compensation.

I am friends with Steve on Facebook and he has been uncharacteristically quiet for the past week or so.

This sucks. 03-banghead

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - The Doctor Is In - 05-19-2016 08:53 PM

From my knowledge of Steve Martin, let's give him a chance as I believe him to be an honest and decent man.

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit - ODUwildman - 05-19-2016 11:30 PM

Just like Wood said on Cattles show the other day, Wood won't comment due to pending litigation and I seriously doubt anyone in this situation would do so on social media.