ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit
05-17-2016 03:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit
Sounds like an awful lot of hearsay. He's going to need a teamate to verify his claims and/or texts, emails or recordings of them ignoring his condition. Otherwise, this will be hard to prove, given they did refer him to a trainer and a provider when it was clear he had a problem.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2016 03:25 PM by Monarchist13.)
05-17-2016 03:24 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

RE: Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in suit
this is an interesting part of the story:

"It was not immediately clear why the Old Dominion Athletic Foundation, which is the athletic department’s private fundraising arm, was named in the suit. Also named was the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, an NCAA Division III league based in Forest, Va."

why would he sue the ODAC? I suppose if the ODAF helps pay for Martins salary (I don't know if they do or not, my guess is the don't) I can see the reasoning for including them.
05-17-2016 03:30 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Sounds like a mistake.
05-17-2016 03:38 PM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

Hympden Sydney, where the wrestler was allegedly vomiting blood at a camp is a member of the ODAC.
05-17-2016 03:45 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(05-17-2016 03:45 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Hympden Sydney, where the wrestler was allegedly vomiting blood at a camp is a member of the ODAC.

ah, right. granby camp. I went there when I was in HS. martin, his brothers, and his dad were all coaches there. I don't think ODU was affiliated with it back then, but I could be wrong. makes sense for them to be now. I'm not a lawyer, but I think its a bit of a stretch for ODAC and/or HSC to be implicated in this. it was on their facility however.
05-17-2016 03:52 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2016 03:52 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 03:45 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Hympden Sydney, where the wrestler was allegedly vomiting blood at a camp is a member of the ODAC.

ah, right. granby camp. I went there when I was in HS. martin, his brothers, and his dad were all coaches there. I don't think ODU was affiliated with it back then, but I could be wrong. makes sense for them to be now. I'm not a lawyer, but I think its a bit of a stretch for ODAC and/or HSC to be implicated in this. it was on their facility however.

And it doesn't sound as though HSC is named in the suit. Does the conference hold liability for something that happens during a non-conference event at a member institution?

Could it be the lawyer was just going after anything ODU-related and thought the ODAC was somehow connected to ODU? Do Old Dominion Freight Line and the country band Old Dominion need to contact their legal representatives, just in case?
05-17-2016 05:01 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Its unlike Martin. I had a career ending injury. Martin ushered me to every doctor appointment and even took me to his own doctor. This kid is probably looking for a pay day
05-17-2016 05:03 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

I went there when there was no AC in the dorms!!!
05-17-2016 05:05 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Lawyers will throw anyone and everyone onto a lawsuit to see what sticks. They probably figure putting ODAF on the suit will put some pressure on ODU by donors to settle. The lawyers don't want this to drag out, they want to settle for a million or so, give the kid $500,000 and go on their way. They hope some donor in ODAF pressures ODU to do just that. If it goes to court they'll probably take ODAF and ODAC off the suit, and focus on Martin and ODU. It probably won't go that far unless they have a rock solid case.
05-17-2016 05:17 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(05-17-2016 05:05 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  I went there when there was no AC in the dorms!!!

I cant remember if there was AC in the dorms, but there sure wasn't in the gyms.
05-17-2016 05:19 PM
Advertisement

AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Your right no AC in the gyms also. My first year at camp I was responsible for carrying around ol man Martins box fan and what seemed to be 100ft of extension cord to every session. By the second week I got smart and started to take it back to the dorms at night.
05-17-2016 11:59 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

Ex-ODU wrestler says coaches didn't handle his three concussions properly in ...
(05-17-2016 11:59 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  Your right no AC in the gyms also. My first year at camp I was responsible for carrying around ol man Martins box fan and what seemed to be 100ft of extension cord to every session. By the second week I got smart and started to take it back to the dorms at night.

Funny. You must have been a GB guy. What years? I was there summer of 90 and 91...no disrespect to old man Martin but did his hair piece have its own dorm room??
05-18-2016 07:10 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(05-18-2016 07:10 AM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 11:59 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  Your right no AC in the gyms also. My first year at camp I was responsible for carrying around ol man Martins box fan and what seemed to be 100ft of extension cord to every session. By the second week I got smart and started to take it back to the dorms at night.

Funny. You must have been a GB guy. What years? I was there summer of 90 and 91...no disrespect to old man Martin but did his hair piece have its own dorm room??

Yea GB, Haha 03-lmfao that comb over was permanent!!! I was there from 93 to 01.
05-18-2016 01:09 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

The wrestling community is really rallying around Coach Martin. I have seen several post on Facebook about the wrestler being a problem person and his false accusations. I talked with a buddy who was at this camp and stated he never heard or seen the wrestler have any medical issues at camp.
05-18-2016 06:29 PM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Are we certain the lawyer didn't just look up "Old Dominion's Athletic Conference" (looking for the conference ODU played in), found ODAC and just called it a day?
05-19-2016 06:52 AM
Advertisement

MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
(05-19-2016 06:52 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Are we certain the lawyer didn't just look up "Old Dominion's Athletic Conference" (looking for the conference ODU played in), found ODAC and just called it a day?

I had a weird suspicion that this is what happened when I read the article. It seems pretty lazy to me, especially with the mention of ODAF.

I don't want to throw this kid's statements away until we have heard everything because these are some pretty heavy accusations. But we will see what happens
05-19-2016 09:42 AM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
I am sorry to see this.

The ODAF, ODAC, etc links seem to be nothing more than a lawyer throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks.
I am not aware of any ODAF involvement in Coach Martin's compensation.

I am friends with Steve on Facebook and he has been uncharacteristically quiet for the past week or so.

This sucks. 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2016 03:59 PM by ODUalum78.)
05-19-2016 03:49 PM
The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
From my knowledge of Steve Martin, let's give him a chance as I believe him to be an honest and decent man.
05-19-2016 08:53 PM
ODUwildman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SCSU
Just like Wood said on Cattles show the other day, Wood won't comment due to pending litigation and I seriously doubt anyone in this situation would do so on social media.
05-19-2016 11:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.