CSNbbs
**** the CRB - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: **** the CRB (/thread-763465.html)

**** the CRB - chargeradio - 12-18-2015 08:06 PM

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6813840/behind-closed-doors-where-the-new-webcasting-rates-actually-came-from

As a small webcaster, I would go from paying $17 a month to $2,000 a month to maintain the same listening audience since the provision for small webcasters was not renewed. No more Internet radio for me!

Even the big guys got stuck with a 20% increase, which will subsequently be indexed to inflation. The worst part of it? Terrestrial radio pays no recording royalties - they only pay songwriting royalties. A major market FM station with 100,000 listeners pays SoundExchange $0.00, while an internet-only station with that audience would pay $2,550 an hour.

The really criminal part? This decision was released two weeks before the end of the year, virtually guaranteeing that nothing can be done about it before takes effect, January 1, 2016.

RE: **** the CRB - georgia_tech_swagger - 12-18-2015 08:10 PM

(12-18-2015 08:06 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6813840/behind-closed-doors-where-the-new-webcasting-rates-actually-came-from

As a small webcaster, I would go from paying $17 a month to $2,000 a month to maintain the same listening audience since the provision for small webcasters was not renewed. No more Internet radio for me!

Even the big guys got stuck with a 20% increase, which will subsequently be indexed to inflation. The worst part of it? Terrestrial radio pays no recording royalties - they only pay songwriting royalties. A major market FM station with 100,000 listeners pays SoundExchange $0.00, while an internet-only station with that audience would pay $2,550 an hour.

The really criminal part? This decision was released two weeks before the end of the year, virtually guaranteeing that nothing can be done about it before takes effect, January 1, 2016.

Hey no worries the Republicans will save you right? I mean they're so pro-business right? I mean, of course, assuming Trump and Kasich don't shut the internet down because terrorists.

Two sides of the same big government party I tell ya.

RE: **** the CRB - ericsrevenge76 - 12-18-2015 10:20 PM

CRB caught my eye for a different reason.

Those were the initials used by my first real Band "Coldwater River Band".

Everyone in the area called us "CRB!". lol

RE: **** the CRB - chargeradio - 12-31-2015 06:16 PM

An update:

Live365, which previously hosted upwards of 10,000 webcasters, has de-activated a number of streams, and will limit more of them to paid (VIP) subscribers at Midnight Pacific Time. The company has announced if it does not find new funding by January 31, it will shutter its doors completely.

A number of Internet pure-play stations have shut off their streams, or will do so tonight. One of the highest profile casualties has been SmoothJazzChicago.Net (read more about their closure at http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/148880/crb-royalty-increase-prompts-closure-of-smoothjazz).

An interesting development has been that Vivendi has purchased nearly a two-thirds stake in Radionomy, which is based in the Netherlands. I have moved my station over there. Hopefully SABAM's reciprocal agreements with SoundExchange hold through 2016 and beyond. For those who truly stream live, though, Radionomy may not really be an option, as it could be argued that the stream isn't really originating in the Netherlands, but so far, the American legal system has not pressed that issue. Radionomy also has some unusual restrictions given that it is a free service, so there is a minimum audience threshold a station has to meet after its first three months on the air, and a higher one after nine months; stations are also limited to "only" 1000 or 3000 files, depending on the age of the station.

Radionomy was actually near death itself prior to the acquisition. The company is working through paying down a tremendous amount of debt, including rewards to broadcasters (or producers as they call them) dating back to 2014. Sony has also been issuing DMCA takedown notices to Radionomy stations listed on major Shoutcast directories, so there may be another battle brewing there.

RE: **** the CRB - Fo Shizzle - 12-31-2015 06:20 PM

(12-18-2015 08:10 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 08:06 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6813840/behind-closed-doors-where-the-new-webcasting-rates-actually-came-from

Hey no worries the Republicans will save you right? I mean they're so pro-business right? I mean, of course, assuming Trump and Kasich don't shut the internet down because terrorists.

This. The only difference is where they spend the stolen cash.

RE: **** the CRB - stinkfist - 12-31-2015 06:50 PM

(12-18-2015 08:10 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

agreed.....it's why I chose something the gubberment can't touch......even as they try.....it's funny when you tell the IRS to put you in jail and watch what the response is.....

I love this cuntry.....

happy fk'n new year.....