Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

**** the CRB
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
**** the CRB
http://www.billboard.com/articles/busine...-came-from

As a small webcaster, I would go from paying $17 a month to $2,000 a month to maintain the same listening audience since the provision for small webcasters was not renewed. No more Internet radio for me!

Even the big guys got stuck with a 20% increase, which will subsequently be indexed to inflation. The worst part of it? Terrestrial radio pays no recording royalties - they only pay songwriting royalties. A major market FM station with 100,000 listeners pays SoundExchange $0.00, while an internet-only station with that audience would pay $2,550 an hour.

The really criminal part? This decision was released two weeks before the end of the year, virtually guaranteeing that nothing can be done about it before takes effect, January 1, 2016.
12-18-2015 08:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: **** the CRB
(12-18-2015 08:06 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  http://www.billboard.com/articles/busine...-came-from

As a small webcaster, I would go from paying $17 a month to $2,000 a month to maintain the same listening audience since the provision for small webcasters was not renewed. No more Internet radio for me!

Even the big guys got stuck with a 20% increase, which will subsequently be indexed to inflation. The worst part of it? Terrestrial radio pays no recording royalties - they only pay songwriting royalties. A major market FM station with 100,000 listeners pays SoundExchange $0.00, while an internet-only station with that audience would pay $2,550 an hour.

The really criminal part? This decision was released two weeks before the end of the year, virtually guaranteeing that nothing can be done about it before takes effect, January 1, 2016.

Hey no worries the Republicans will save you right? I mean they're so pro-business right? I mean, of course, assuming Trump and Kasich don't shut the internet down because terrorists.

Two sides of the same big government party I tell ya.
12-18-2015 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
CRB caught my eye for a different reason.

Those were the initials used by my first real Band "Coldwater River Band".

Everyone in the area called us "CRB!". lol
12-18-2015 10:20 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
An update:

Live365, which previously hosted upwards of 10,000 webcasters, has de-activated a number of streams, and will limit more of them to paid (VIP) subscribers at Midnight Pacific Time. The company has announced if it does not find new funding by January 31, it will shutter its doors completely.

A number of Internet pure-play stations have shut off their streams, or will do so tonight. One of the highest profile casualties has been SmoothJazzChicago.Net (read more about their closure at http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archiv...oothjazz).

An interesting development has been that Vivendi has purchased nearly a two-thirds stake in Radionomy, which is based in the Netherlands. I have moved my station over there. Hopefully SABAM's reciprocal agreements with SoundExchange hold through 2016 and beyond. For those who truly stream live, though, Radionomy may not really be an option, as it could be argued that the stream isn't really originating in the Netherlands, but so far, the American legal system has not pressed that issue. Radionomy also has some unusual restrictions given that it is a free service, so there is a minimum audience threshold a station has to meet after its first three months on the air, and a higher one after nine months; stations are also limited to "only" 1000 or 3000 files, depending on the age of the station.

Radionomy was actually near death itself prior to the acquisition. The company is working through paying down a tremendous amount of debt, including rewards to broadcasters (or producers as they call them) dating back to 2014. Sony has also been issuing DMCA takedown notices to Radionomy stations listed on major Shoutcast directories, so there may be another battle brewing there.
12-31-2015 06:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(12-18-2015 08:10 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 08:06 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  http://www.billboard.com/articles/busine...-came-from

Hey no worries the Republicans will save you right? I mean they're so pro-business right? I mean, of course, assuming Trump and Kasich don't shut the internet down because terrorists.

This. The only difference is where they spend the stolen cash.
12-31-2015 06:20 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(12-18-2015 08:10 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

agreed.....it's why I chose something the gubberment can't touch......even as they try.....it's funny when you tell the IRS to put you in jail and watch what the response is.....

I love this cuntry.....

happy fk'n new year.....
12-31-2015 06:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.