CSNbbs
Wofford non-con schedule - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+------ Forum: Buc Basketball (/forum-339.html)
+------ Thread: Wofford non-con schedule (/thread-742604.html)

Pages: 1 2

Wofford non-con schedule - ETSUfan1 - 07-14-2015 05:59 PM

5 road money games. Wow.

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2015/7/14/MBB_0714154101.aspx

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - etsuandpurdue3 - 07-14-2015 07:11 PM

Only 4 home games. That's got to be rough. Wofford may be low on confidence coming into conference play.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - etsubuc - 07-14-2015 07:11 PM

Very smart. With as good of a team as they might have this gives them the chance to get a good seed in the NCAA tournament if they can win the conference and some of those games.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - shampoo - 07-14-2015 07:28 PM

What if they don't win a single road game? And rack up losses. Strength of schedule only matters when you win. Hope the best for them, as I want them to push ETSU to play its best in conference.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - Buccaneerlover - 07-14-2015 07:37 PM

Cost effective schedule. ETSU needs to do something similar with geography. Notice they play at Vanderbilt and then turn around to play at Austin Peay.
At least 8 of those are very winnable, and at Mizzou isn't as threatening as used to be (neither is Vandy other than the weird court).
Good for them to have a challenging schedule, and holy cow if they get it rolling and get 11-12 of those, they very well could work their way into an 10-12 seed.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - etsubuc - 07-14-2015 07:39 PM

(07-14-2015 07:28 PM)shampoo Wrote:  What if they don't win a single road game? And rack up losses. Strength of schedule only matters when you win. Hope the best for them, as I want them to push ETSU to play its best in conference.

Then they deserve a low seed in the NCAA tournament- but they would also deserve that same seed if they had a schedule like ours last year and won most of them. You have to try to give your team a shot at success if you are expecting a good team that can pull it off.

Wofford non-con schedule - CaptainJackAubrey - 07-14-2015 07:41 PM

Lets not put Wofford and the big dance in the same sentence.

Not gonna happen.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - Bucfaithful - 07-14-2015 08:50 PM

Wofford's had a nice 4-5 yr stretch but I'm not ready to annoint them as the next Belmont. They lose a lot of firepower from last season and will be at the bottom half of the league next year IMHO.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - shampoo - 07-14-2015 09:17 PM

I appreciate everyone's ideas following my last post, most especially CaptainJackAubrey's. Wofford better win all their out of conference games if they want a shot at an at large bid. :)

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - Just Buc - 07-15-2015 04:50 AM

Overall, ETSU has a more difficult non-con schedule. Two less money games but somewhat better opponents in the most of the others

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - Bucster - 07-15-2015 08:20 AM

It sounds like our schedule is pretty much set. I wish they'd go ahead and release it.

Wofford non-con schedule - ETSUfan1 - 07-15-2015 10:47 AM

Are we still playing multiple non D-Is?

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - Bucster - 07-15-2015 10:52 AM

I hope not. We need to stop scheduling those games.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - CaptainJackAubrey - 07-15-2015 11:30 AM

I'm willing to be talked out of this position, but I do think playing Milligan is good for the community.

Our time would be better spent in practice than playing Tusculum...and beating the h out of an NAIA or DII/DIII school is pointless and an unnecessary risk of injury. But I say keep Milligan.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - etsuandpurdue3 - 07-15-2015 11:34 AM

(07-15-2015 11:30 AM)CaptainJackAubrey Wrote:  I'm willing to be talked out of this position, but I do think playing Milligan is good for the community.

Our time would be better spent in practice than playing Tusculum...and beating the h out of an NAIA or DII/DIII school is pointless and an unnecessary risk of injury. But I say keep Milligan.
Milligan's been a school we've played from the start, so yeah Milligan is good.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - etsubuc - 07-15-2015 11:34 AM

(07-15-2015 11:30 AM)CaptainJackAubrey Wrote:  I'm willing to be talked out of this position, but I do think playing Milligan is good for the community.

As an exhibition yes. Not as a regular season game

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - Just Buc - 07-15-2015 06:20 PM

Just as ETSU and nearly all other mid-majors need to go play the big boys in order to help fund their program, so too do the Milligans, Tusculums and Va-Wise's of the world. There is nothing wrong with playing two of these schools annually. It doesn't effect RPI or SOS. Yeah they often look more like scrimmages but it's also a chance for a team to look at some things they might not be able to against normal D1 opponents. Many of the DIIs fund their entire program off of 2 or 3 of these games each year. Just as ETSU looks forward to measuring themselves against Villanova, I'm sure Milligan looks forward to the ETSU game.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - Bucfaithful - 07-15-2015 07:00 PM

From strictly a community perspective, irrespective of the game itself, I think playing Milligan is a gesture of goodwill. There are usually 5 or so local kids on Milligan's squad whose families and friends come to see them play. I'm sure coaches have to weigh these factors.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - WingedWarrior - 07-16-2015 11:51 AM

(07-15-2015 07:00 PM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  From strictly a community perspective, irrespective of the game itself, I think playing Milligan is a gesture of goodwill. There are usually 5 or so local kids on Milligan's squad whose families and friends come to see them play. I'm sure coaches have to weigh these factors.

RE: Wofford non-con schedule - WingedWarrior - 07-16-2015 11:53 AM

(07-16-2015 11:52 AM)WingedWarrior Wrote:  Yep, sometimes you just need to be a good neighbor. Playing Milligan and Tusculum is the right thing to do.