CSNbbs
UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? (/thread-742244.html)

UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - MinerInWisconsin - 07-10-2015 07:55 AM

I was hoping UAB would have announced by now when they would re-start football. 2016? Anyone know?

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - BeliefBlazer - 07-10-2015 08:08 AM

Nothing official but what little they have said sounds like 2017.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - ATTALLABLAZE - 07-10-2015 10:07 AM

Looking like 2017 full throttle. I suspect we will do like UTSA in 2016. maybe some scrimmage games open to the public. It's a damn crying shame as we had a team returning that would compete for the title.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - CameramanJ - 07-10-2015 11:20 AM

Don't forget, don't forgive. The best revenge is to live well.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - Cnelson203 - 07-10-2015 12:21 PM

As disappointed as 2017 probably is to you, it's probably the best course of action given how your team was decimated by the Evil ones. The rest of us can wait...do it right.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - Side Show Joe - 07-10-2015 01:08 PM

According to Fox Sports Southwest... 2016.

UAB president: University bringing football back in 2016

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) -- UAB President Ray Watts said Monday he is bringing the football program back in 2016, reversing a decision to shut it down because it was too expensive.

Watts cited renewed financial commitment from supporters, students and the city as reasons for the change of heart.

He said donors have pledged to make up the projected $17.2 million deficit over the next five years if football is restored. Watts told The Associated Press he decided on Monday morning to reverse the earlier decision after meetings with UAB supporters continued through the weekend.

Here is the link.

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/uab-president-university-bringing-football-back-in-2016-060115

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - eager eagle - 07-10-2015 02:34 PM

(07-10-2015 01:08 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  According to Fox Sports Southwest... 2016.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) -- UAB President Ray Watts said Monday he is bringing the football program back in 2016, reversing a decision to shut it down because it was too expensive.

Watts cited renewed financial commitment from supporters, students and the city as reasons for the change of heart.

He said donors have pledged to make up the projected $17.2 million deficit over the next five years if football is restored. Watts told The Associated Press he decided on Monday morning to reverse the earlier decision after meetings with UAB supporters continued through the weekend.

Here is the link.

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/uab-president-university-bringing-football-back-in-2016-060115

That article was printed prior to a month ago. Things are a bit shaky now, you will note the cusa officials kicked the can down the road. There are a lot of commitments but not much cash in hand.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - 58-56 - 07-11-2015 01:42 AM

(07-10-2015 12:21 PM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  As disappointed as 2017 probably is to you, it's probably the best course of action given how your team was decimated by the Evil ones. The rest of us can wait...do it right.

It has nothing to do with "doing it right" or with "cash in hand," and everything to do with Ray Watts protecting his fragile ego. He does not want his incompetent bumbling highlighted by football success in the stands or on the field, and does not want to see returned players doing sideline interviews along the lines of "Ray Watts stole a year of my life."

The little pumpkin-headed bastard cares about nothing but his own self-regard. The Ninth Circle of Hell is keeping a spot warm for Ray Watts. He is an evil man with a twisted soul.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - Blazer Engineer - 07-11-2015 11:48 AM

I believe Pumpkin Head is mentally ill. He is an arrogant little bastard

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - BoKnows - 07-11-2015 12:00 PM

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - BamaScorpio69 - 07-11-2015 12:09 PM

(07-10-2015 01:08 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  According to Fox Sports Southwest... 2016.

Here is the link.

Thx UNT poster for letting UAB fans know when football was returning. We didn't have a clue......lol

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - 58-56 - 07-11-2015 02:33 PM

(07-11-2015 11:48 AM)Blazer Engineer Wrote:  I believe Pumpkin Head is mentally ill. He is an arrogant little bastard

I fully agree. A patient has taken charge of the hospital.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - BamaScorpio69 - 07-12-2015 03:13 AM

JJ Nelson - UAB, 5th Round draft pick by Arizona said the following after UAB Football shutdown operations:

Quote:“Once the decision was made, a lot of coaches were there to recruit guys,” Nelson said. “I was still there taking classes because I graduated in December. The next day, you had 50 schools – big name schools: Florida, Oklahoma State, Indiana, Vanderbilt, schools like that – come to the campus. Our coaches, they brought them in. They checked the film to see who the other teams wanted. They gave them film, gave them input like, ‘This is a great guy.’”

That sucks but it was also the reality of what Watts had done to the program. F'n idiot!!!

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/JJ-Nelsons-UAB-Roller-Coaster/b56c200d-ccd4-4391-a693-9f59437e43f4

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - goodknightfl - 07-12-2015 08:53 AM

Do all the $$ pledges they received seem to be holding solid?? It was easy for people to throw around money, when it was good PR, and there seemed little chance of bringing football back, now it is real money.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - 58-56 - 07-12-2015 11:41 AM

(07-12-2015 08:53 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Do all the $$ pledges they received seem to be holding solid?? It was easy for people to throw around money, when it was good PR, and there seemed little chance of bringing football back, now it is real money.

First installments for most are not due until January, so there's no "throwing around" to disparage. Sorry to disappoint.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - CajunFanatico - 07-12-2015 12:57 PM

(07-12-2015 03:13 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  JJ Nelson - UAB, 5th Round draft pick by Arizona said the following after UAB Football shutdown operations:

Quote:“Once the decision was made, a lot of coaches were there to recruit guys,” Nelson said. “I was still there taking classes because I graduated in December. The next day, you had 50 schools – big name schools: Florida, Oklahoma State, Indiana, Vanderbilt, schools like that – come to the campus. Our coaches, they brought them in. They checked the film to see who the other teams wanted. They gave them film, gave them input like, ‘This is a great guy.’”

That sucks but it was also the reality of what Watts had done to the program. F'n idiot!!!

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/JJ-Nelsons-UAB-Roller-Coaster/b56c200d-ccd4-4391-a693-9f59437e43f4

Putting aside the fact that the program had been officially killed, helping those athletes who remained find new homes if they so wanted seems like the right thing to do. I can see being hacked off if they'd just said, the program's dead and you're now on your own.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - BamaScorpio69 - 07-12-2015 01:43 PM

(07-12-2015 12:57 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 03:13 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  JJ Nelson - UAB, 5th Round draft pick by Arizona said the following after UAB Football shutdown operations:

Putting aside the fact that the program had been officially killed, helping those athletes who remained find new homes if they so wanted seems like the right thing to do. I can see being hacked off if they'd just said, the program's dead and you're now on your own.

I'm hacked off at Watts, not the coaches that swooped in the get our players.

RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football? - ATTALLABLAZE - 07-13-2015 10:01 AM

Agreed.